No announcement yet.

Bad Handwriting >twitch<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the teachers I had, were extremely anal about certain things. Things such, as "the legs on an 'M' have to be perfectly vertical, while a 'W' is not allowed to be straight." I can still hear my preschool teacher going on about how to make letters and numbers "properly." Seriously? You have kids more interested in licking the school bus windows, and you're bitching about letters

I readily admit that my handwriting sucks, especially when I attempt cursive. That's what happens when you've had your hand crushed in a door...and roughly 30 year later...have to deal with the possible onset of carpal tunnel That's exactly why I always type things up later. I'm not about to have my neighbor attempt to translate "Protege-speak" while taking care of the kitties

Comment

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with telling students they need to improve their handwriting, but that shouldn't be done in front of the class, especially not while you're also commending other students' great handwriting in front of everyone. Call those kids aside and discuss their handwriting with them in private and show them how they can improve.

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
        I dunno, I think something with hand writing must be genetic or something.
        Handwriting might be inherited. My mom and I both have nice handwriting (not to brag, but it's true). I've read some of my grandmother's writing and not only did she also have nice handwriting, all three of our writing styles are very similar; easy-to-read cursive with no frills.

On the other hand, my husband has poor handwriting, and our son is going that way, too. I'm going to have to work with him on that...

Bad handwriting is aggrivating. I have to type out invoices from written forms, and our salespeoples' handwriting runs the gamut from nice to barely legible. I've had to go back and ask a few of them what a specific word actually is (some of them aren't terribly good spellers, either!).

I've heard worse, though. I've heard cases where a pharmacist can't figure out a doctor's rotten handwriting and ends up giving the patient the wrong medicine. Very, very bad news!
        People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
        If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

When I was a kid I had terrible handwriting. The teachers also didn't think I held my pen or pencil right. So they were always trying to get me to hold it the "right way" and giving me grips to use, which I never did and I still hold it and write the same way to this day.

The thing I really hated was the year we had to learn cursive writing. Not only did we spend time practicing it all of our assignments had to be written in cursive or you'd get a "0" on your paper. My cursive was awful, it probably still is but I don't use it unless I'm signing my name. I also can't write in a straight line, unless I'm actually using lined paper. Otherwise forget about it.

Now my handwriting is decent, it's not the best but it's legible. If I have to fill out paperwork or write something I know someone else will read then I take extra time and care to make sure it's neat and legible.

Comment

I don't hold a pen/pencil the correct way, either. I know how, I just don't. It was never comfortable.

These days, almost everything is typed, and when I write, I use a bastard combination that's part print and part cursive. I already cut out a lot of the loops in cursive as it is for the sake of efficiency.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This thread reminds me of this

I don't think I hold my writing utensil correctly, either. I've compared the way I hold a pen to numerous of my friends over the years, and I've come to the conclusion that it's me who has it 'wrong' (if there is such a thing). I lay the pen on my ring finger and use my index and middle fingers to grip the top while writing. All others that I've actually paid attention to lay the pen on their middle finger and only have their index finger gripping the top. I've tried holding a pen like they do, but it just doesn't feel right to me. My weird pen holding techniques also make it more difficult for me to eat with chopsticks I've noticed

I have decent writing. It's definitely legible and I haven't had too many people unable to read what I've written. It's certainly not nice handwriting, though, at least in my opinion. I've gotten compliments on it, about how consistent it is. I have a book of poetry of mine that is handwritten, and one person who I let read it made a comment about how it looked too perfect to have been written by hand or something... he thought it had somehow been machine generated. That was a compliment to be sure. But I took my time copying those poems into that book - I wanted it to look as neat as possible. Too bad that's not my everyday handwriting

Comment

ExRetailDrone, thanks for the link. it made my brother's day a little bit happier.

Comment

My penmanship is total crap. No one can read my cursive handwriting but who writes in cursive these days? Security guards at school used to give me crap for it all the time. Especially one mean woman. Every time I was signing in, she'd make me write my name three times (and I'll admit I was semi-drunk sometimes but it was always readable) no matter how good I wrote it. Finally I snapped at her the one time and told her anyone could read it if they actually knew how to read and just walked off with my friend. That felt good.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
                  X