No announcement yet.

balancing the budget on the back of students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we really wanted to focus on the cost of education, we'd stop giving sports scholarships. Unless you're one of about only 10 colleges/universities in the US, even the football program (the most lucrative of the bunch) costs more than it brings in.
    Including donations from alumni who only stay interested in the school because of the sports?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
      I think going from $20 A year??? to $135 a month is too fucking steep, I can see maybe $20 a month, with gas prices, things could be much worse.
      I would settle for the $56 a month... hell, even tell me that I can't take the express intercounty (the 811 only takes 15 minutes longer than the express route and it's classified as a local)... but if I read the proposal right I would need the $135 pass to use TRAX (which is fucked up beyond belief as TRAX is NOT an intercounty service, nor is it classified as an express service), taking the bus to Sandy to transfer to the Utah County routes would take over half an hour rather than the 10 to 15 it takes now.

Plus, let's not forget that all other arguments aside, why is it the college students are being asked to sacrifice and pay more when the families with 8 children aren't asked to pay more (for an idea of how much those families cost, that is 25% of a high school class room, so that one family costs 25% of the cost of providing one teacher, 25% of building a classroom, 25% of running a classroom).
      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

The whole "why should all of society have to pay for the kids' education" thing is another topic entirely. And, honestly, do you really want to punish the kids themselves (because that is who would really suffer) because their parents are too stupid to do math?

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Andara, on the flip side, why should I be punished because other people don't know how to close their legs?

As it stands now the more children you have the less you pay towards their education. That's not less per child, that is less total.
          It's time that parents have to take responsibility for their children. I have no problem paying my fair share towards educating the next generation, after all someone else helped pay for mine, I do have to pay it forward. What I have a problem with is paying MORE than my fair share because some broad doesn't know how to tell her husband how to put on a condom.

What, me bitter that living at damned near the poverty level I pay income taxes than a middle to high income family with 8 kids? Never.
          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
            Andara, on the flip side, why should I be punished because other people don't know how to close their legs?
            I'm planning to never have kids at all, not even adopted or foster. The problem is a larger social issue that has more to do with how so many people glamorize the idea of large families.

Strangely enough, education is the best way to correct for this.

But we can't have that education if we don't make those who don't actually need it pay for it.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
              What, me bitter that living at damned near the poverty level I pay income taxes than a middle to high income family with 8 kids? Never.
              That's one of the traps of the modern 'growth is the only way' system.

When the generation that's currently the 'establishment' get older, they need more people to work than they are to keep them in their retirement. Ergo we need more young 'uns.

This can either be achieved by importing cheap labour from other countries ("Goddamn immigrants, get of my land,") or by gubmint schemes to allow or encourage large families, (Goddamn kids, get off my lawn.").

It's not sane and it's not sustainable. There's also no easy answer, barring the Logan's Run solution.

Rapscallion
              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
              X