"Remember Me"? Apparently not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Remember Me"? Apparently not...

Those checkboxes on almost any site that has a login. They say "Remember Me" or "keep me logged in on this computer" or something along those lines. Lately I've run into an inordinate number of them that don't work. Why even offer the choice if you're not going to honor it?

(Whether it's good to check such boxes is another matter... but if there is one, it should WORK!)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Check your browser settings.

I have my browser set to flush cookies every time I close it, so all of those "remember me" cookies go with all of the tracking cookies.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Remember Thee! Remember Thee!
      Remember thee! remember thee!
      Till Lethe quench life's burning stream
      Remorse and shame shall cling to thee,
      And haunt thee like a feverish dream!

Remember thee! Aye, doubt it not.
      Thy husband too shall think of thee:
      By neither shalt thou be forgot,
      Thou false to him, thou fiend to me!

Sorry, I just thought of that when I saw the thread title. Nothing important to add.
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        Check your browser settings.

I have my browser set to flush cookies every time I close it, so all of those "remember me" cookies go with all of the tracking cookies.

^-.-^
        Of course. But that would make them not work on *every* site, not just a few here and there. If it only happens on certain sites, it's not my computer doing it.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I have that too. What's worse is when it works for months, then all of a sudden-BOOM-login and password erased, and it's usually after I've forgotten what it was.

though thinking about the cookies thing always reminds me of this comic
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
            I have that too. What's worse is when it works for months, then all of a sudden-BOOM-login and password erased, and it's usually after I've forgotten what it was.
            Which is why I run with password manager software.

though thinking about the cookies thing always reminds me of this comic
            I like that one.

Comment

Would that be "all of a sudden, out of nowhere" or "all of a sudden after some patch"?

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                Would that be "all of a sudden, out of nowhere" or "all of a sudden after some patch"?

^-.-^
                OR after running a program like Ad-Aware or Sybot or some of the newer virus scanners.

sometimes after I install a new version of Ad-Aware and do a complete system scan, I have problems autologging in to some websites (not all)
                I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

well the running a program is causing them to remove cookies that have tracking data, might be able to add an exception to the list. Call me paranoid, I don't like people always able to login to my stuff.

Comment

I don't either... but the computer itself has a password. And I have a guest account set up in case I ever need to let someone else use it.

Comment

A few websites I use regularly drop my login, without updates or running virus scans. The biggest one for me is Webs.com
                      "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                      TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

also cookies do expire.

Comment

Indeed they do... but an "always keep me logged in" cookie that's worth anything wouldn't expire several times in the same week. I've been away from CS for a full year or more without having to log in when I came back.

Comment

tonight when I lwent on to CS I had to log in, but not the two or three other boards/sites I frequent. must have been an upgrade to the CS board
                            I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                            The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Not upgraded in a few. Not at our end that I know of.

Rapscallion
                              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X