Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke in my apartment building

Yay! First fratch!

Anyhoo...as I'm sitting here typing this, my eyes are watering from neighbors who literally have nothing better to do than to sit in their apartment and smoke all day long.

Now, this is the third apartment I've lived in this complex (moved after divorce the first time, fire the second time) in ..well..way too many years..about 11. In every single one, smoke got into the unit from the neighbors. I'm not sure if this is normal or not for apartments.

The current apartment is the first one where I am not living on the bottom floor. (Top this time). So, it seems to be a lot worse as the smoke drifts up.

Ughhh..I hate not being able to escape from stuff like this within my own home. (And for the record, I think the others should be able to smoke as much as they want. But I really wish it wouldn't travel.)

BTDT. The last apartment we lived in before leaving Arizona, the guy in the apartment underneath us was a serious chain-smoker. He must've gone through a carton a day, and it all drifted up into our apartment. Bathroom and kitchen were the worst, as there was no carpet to help filter it out.

If he'd gone outside to smoke, I don't think it would've been so bad.
    People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
    If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

I used to get that in my apartment - not sure which of my neighbors it was, but they smoked some really nasty-smelling brand of cigarettes, and it always drifted up to my apartment.

Comment

I smoke outside, as about 90% of the apartments in my fair city do not allow smoking.
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I'm allowed to smoke in my flat now; but I still don't cuz it smells and the smell is one that lingers. I just sit outside on the porch and light one up. As long as I clean up my debris, I don't see that it hurts anyone.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Don't forget it's not just the smoking inside that can be an anoyance to neighbours, but also hazardous, the flat diagonally up from my mum's caught ablaze due to a guy falling asleep in a chair with a fag, thankfully it didn't affect my mum's flat or the one next door that was below, iir the guy got out alright, but none of his possessions did.
            Some of the partiton wall's were like cardboard, so I think the flat was very open planned in the end.

Comment

The fire I mentioned in the OP was caused by the upstairs neighbor throwing a cigarette in her trashcan.

BUT...I'm pretty damned sure she did it on purpose. She was insane and I'm so glad to be out of that apartment, even though I pretty much lost everything.

Edit: Here's a video of the fire. There's more on this person's channel (I have one on mine, but these are better. I have no idea who this is though).

http://www.youtube.com/user/BQMUFF#p/a/u/0/eVIiVdc0i3Y

I love the guy saying "They need to get some more water on that thing, man!"
              Last edited by Lachrymose; 04-03-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lachrymose View Post
                The fire I mentioned in the OP was caused by the upstairs neighbor throwing a cigarette in her trashcan.
                Whoops, I goldfished that one out of my mind, sucks to loose stuff, but better than loosing a life.
                I have to worry bout two of the guys leaving the oven (mostly the rings) on, that and one guy has 4 way power adapter plugged into another 4 way power adapter.

Comment

its not just the smoke but the color it turns walls and furniture and blinds
                  and having to clean or treat them later...
                  but i guess thats what deposits are for? when i did smoke, it was always outside
                  Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                  Yeah we're so over, over
                  Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

I smoke outside, per lease rules, and my one neighbor still pitches a fit in the warmer times of year because he wants to always have his windows open, and my smoke gets in his apartment. Wah wah. Mind you, "warmer times" means he opens his windows as soon as it's in the upper 30s or warmer at night, and leaves them open until it freezes again.

Comment

I usually open my windows once it starts getting in the upper 30s. Our house stays pretty warm even with the thermostat turned down; and of course I turn it off if I have the windows open.

Comment

Working...
                      X