"Job security"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Job security"

I'm again so happy to able to vent about co-worker incompetence on CS. I can't do it to my family or many of my friends. When I do they tell me "At least it's job security for you."

Maybe I'm just thinking about this all wrong, but I shouldn't have to be relying on co-worker stupidity to keep me busy. There are enough things around work that need to be done without fixing other people's fuck-ups. And yet I find I can't get to them, because I'm too busy unfucking other people's cock-ups.

Therefore I'm tired of the "job security" argument. Stupidity doesn't make me any more fire-proof than the economy does, and it just makes me feel like I'm ungrateful for getting things off my chest.

A mate of mine listened to me venting about the idiots fucking up my life at work and said he loves idiots like that - they're between him and the dole queue come the redundancies.

I pointed out that since my place is a worker-owned coop, these idiots are the ones who make the decisions en-masse. If it ever gets to the point of deciding we need redundancies, they're the ones who have enough smarts to realise they're on the chopping block and will be voting against.

For anyone else, some places are just going to cut out entire shops or workplaces, not just the useless workers. At some point, the aggravation outweighs the relatively minor benefit, especially when the worthless people are never sacked for their incompetence.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Plus, if the incompetent slackers were sacked at the outset, there's a good chance that there wouldn't have to be any sackings later on at all.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I feel for you Irv, we always get told that the blanket overtime we've done before is "job security". Like it's an excuse or something to keep us from whining.

Comment

sounds just like my job. the cooks and servers just pile on the stuff all night long like trash, boxes, dishes, etc. esp when we are busy then wonder why the dishes did not magically get done to THEIR time schedule, trashis going out after close. then when we drivers have to stay WAY past closing and our scheduled tim eout trying to clean up after everyone else, the manager gets mad that he has to actually PAY us (and that means overtime for a few of us) for that extra time. but he refuses to listen when given the suggestion that MAYBE other workers CAN do some of our work, BUT NOOOOOOOOO that would screw up his little world.
          I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
          The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

I was about to post a thread like this from a talk at work.

I got told I should be grateful that my work wants to take advantage of my free time for shit pay because there are TONS of unemployed people who would love to do my job. As on a regular basis people are coming in applying, however, after I felt to start screening them or sneaking peaks at the apps that are left in plain sight on the desk (so I don't have the ethical dilemma that is associated with finding where they are kept for the required storage time, which is also locked but has the key inserted) Many of those people are too dumb to find a job, criminal backgrounds, or YES are intelligent and will do the job but are bailing the first chance they get like me.

However, Just 2 months ago I was "lucky to be getting 13 hrs" a week, before that I had a few weeks of only one 6-8hr shift mixed in. Now, trying to give me 32-40.... I'm listed as only being available 24hrs, as I use that other time for applying for jobs, and working on computers/ certifications. To which point I have found out I can EASILY get paid what I would for 8hrs working on someones computer, and I actually enjoy it much more.

It is bullshit, management wants us to take the crap they give us and act like we are getting preferential treatment. And ignore the fact they only do what is good for them, not really us because they have no problem slashing everyone elses hours. IE, full time has to do 35hrs to be full time, so all the fulltime people fot 35hrs a week, but another form of management that could also do 35hrs..... kept getting 40, and im getting 6hr shifts while during good times is 8hrs, bad times for everyone else is 7, but because management wants to not lose any hours and im not full time, I get to give up a few of mine to them.... And they wonder why I don't give a shit.

Comment

oh and lest we forget about the "belt tightening" that needs to happen. ohhhhhh woe is us, food costs are rising, gas is going up in price, our profits suck, our labor costs are toooooo high, oh owe is us we (management) now are required to work even MORE hours now (sucks being salaried NOW does it not),etc. well we need to tighten that belt to the point of just slipping it around the necks of our workers and strangling them instead of US.
              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
              X