People who can't leave a message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who can't leave a message

Specifically on voicemail or those who still have an answering machine.
    WTF? I've been getting calls from two different people almost since last week.
    And only ONCE has one left a message. The other times, they don't even get halfway through the message and click.
    Seriously either get a clue you dialed wrong, this is the wrong house or leave a message?
    And since its father in law's phone and he is not tech savy whatsoever we still have an old phone, old arse caller id - the kind where you hooked it up via taking the phone line from the jack to the caller id then to the phone and only shows the name. There are only two buttons to navigate and the words on them have been rubbed away from use. Lastly for some reason its in spanish. Someone dropped it or did something to where out of area comes out as fuera de area but thats not really an issue just odd.
    However after all this i am sorely tempted to either buy a new phone set with an id screen already there that shows both name and number instead of one or the other and easy to figure out. Or tossing the whole thing out.

is it a guy thing or just some instinctive reaction to not leave a message but hey if i keep trying huurrh i'll get someone?

and no, I have yet to dial *69 as its not my phone and out of respect I won't yet if I do will gladly split the phone bill.
    it also doesn't help we are one number off from two other businesses in town.
    Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
    Yeah we're so over, over
    Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

I've been recently letting blocked numbers go to voice mail, work is a blocked number and sometimes so is Captain Dickhead, I just don't want to be interupted during a DVD by either or a complete unknown.
    If it's work trying to get hold of me to come in early or on my day off, I will check my voicemail if I get a text alert saying I have one and call em back as soon as I hang up from that.

I used to get blank messages, so extended my message so they had a better chance to hang up before the beep if they were not going to leave a message. Now it says something like this
    I can not come to the phone right now, if you would like to leave a message please do so after the beep, if you do not wish to hang up now.

*BEEP*
    Even asking nicely to hang up still didn't stop me getting blank messages.

One time Cpt DH did leave a message for me, but he was talking as if someone was listening on the other end and it ran over the recording limit.
    These days I text, if I need to talk to you I will, but if it's just to see what someone is up to, I'll text that way I don't disturb anyone, which is a mini rant in itself.

Comment

I hate when people leave messages that are pointless. Although, more often with my friends I find myself hanging up and following up with a text because by the time you navigate the voicemail inbox still need to listen to the message, so I just spell out what I want. As usually my friends are in a location that they can read texts, just not take a call

What I hate is the people, who call several times in a row and don;t bother to leave a message, worse is when they finally DO leave a message and say it is nothing important..... really why the hell did you call 3X in a row if it wasn't the least bit important? I screen, all my calls from work and unknowns

Comment

What gets me is how some people have no clue how to leave messages on machines. Gosh, this fancy-schmancy technology has only been around since, what, the 1970s?! You'd think they'd figure it out by now.

HOW TO LEAVE A MESSAGE:
        "Hi, it's Dad, call me at Uncle Joe's, 555-7734."
        "Hello, this is John Dewey from Dewey, Cheatham and Howe. This is in regards to that incident with the ATM and the kiddie pool full of oatmeal. Please call us at 555-867-5309. Thank you."

HOW NOT TO LEAVE A MESSAGE:
        "Uhhhh, hello? Hello? Hello? Anyone there? Hello? [repeat ad nauseum until machine clicks off]"
        "Uh, yeah, it's me, call me back!"
        "Gol-durn muchine, hate talkin' to em, grumblegrumble gimme call at 55blargleblargle7mumblemutter."
        People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
        If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Originally posted by XCashier View Post
          What gets me is how some people have no clue how to leave messages on machines. Gosh, this fancy-schmancy technology has only been around since, what, the 1970s?! You'd think they'd figure it out by now.

HOW TO LEAVE A MESSAGE:
          "Hi, it's Dad, call me at Uncle Joe's, 555-7734."
          "Hello, this is John Dewey from Dewey, Cheatham and Howe. This is in regards to that incident with the ATM and the kiddie pool full of oatmeal. Please call us at 555-867-5309. Thank you."

Am I weird for wanting, Name, number, message when you know it is going to be something long and I likely don't have your number and you speak at a speed that I need to listen to the whole message several times to try and make it out?

Comment

with all of the scammer activity going on out there, the house phone (landline) is constantly getting hangups (our machine is digital and does NOT indicate a message if there is blank air).

I spend lots of time on whocallsme.com and 800notes.com looking up numbers for all of the scammers that call these days.

I have these sites on "speeddial"

during the course of the delivery job, I sometimes have to call the customer and leave a message such as "HI this is a <pizza place? delivery driver and I am attempting to deliver an order to someone at this phone number. it seems o no one is answering the door. I will be outside for a few minutes. if you do not see me please call the store at 123-4567 to have your order delivered"

sometimes they call me back sometimes they call the store sometime no one calls back
            Last edited by Racket_Man; 04-07-2011, 08:52 AM.
            I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
            The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

I have to admit that I loathe leaving messages on voicemail. My mind goes irritatingly blank and I can't think of what to say, so when I hit voicemail I just hang up and send a text message instead.
              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

oh if the home landline could get text messages. that would work

no half the time its a wrong number because some r-tard cannot dial, does not want to believe he or she cannot dial thus calling the same number back and not paying attention to the obvious home/residence based voicemail not office and continue until i scream at them or pick up phone and hang up.
                I even told someone over the phone that if this was dr's office, dodge place or whatever I would have answered hello (office name) not hello? or (name) residence in a condescending tone as it was the same person doing this.

even had one person disregard the voicemail completely and leave info about her car.

Or worst some investigative company after sis in law for something who called EVERYONE in her family. long rant there. (see thread "passing the debt to family")

I have actually *69'd someone only to find out today it was an idiot behind the receiver. i tried to be nice i really did. Already agreed to pay for my share of the phone bill for that
                Yeah we're so over, over
                Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

I hate people who call and say "Yeah this is Jim, call me back."

Well no shit huh? Of course I have to call you back. Tell me what you want. I especially require this from my employers lol...i don't think they care for it, but I always let them know I will not return any phone calls unless they're in detail.

Something like "Hey DrFaroohk, this is Jim at Shop-Rite calling, I want to talk to you about a customer complaint, he claims you were rude to him. Call me back."

Comment

I can't stand the people who call multiple times and don't leave a message. If I don't know who you are I will NOT answer until you have left a message to indicate why you wish to contact me. So please dear kind stranger, keep wasting your time trying to reach me.

I love when I'm at work and I have the caller who does the "it's important, keep calling them"

Umm, no, calling over and over doesn't convey important, it conveys "i'm a douchebag".
                    Want to know what does convey importance?
                    That's right, leaving a message about why you called and why it's important.
                    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

oh smiley...I wish these people would!
                      Thats one of my questions, WHY do people do this. Is it some fear of getting a disease if they leave a message?

Oh no wait I just saw it sorry, yes my town is full of d-bags
                      Yeah we're so over, over

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
                        I spend lots of time on whocallsme.com and 800notes.com looking up numbers for all of the scammers that call these days.
                        You can only sort of trust those sites, unfortunately. The people who post up numbers are often too stupid to be trusted with their own phones.

Do a search for 805-637-7243. That's the T-Mobile voicemail system, and yet you'll find hundreds of entries for people wondering who it is that called them.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by LexiaFira View Post
                          oh if the home landline could get text messages. that would work
                          Landline? What is this strange thing you speak of?

Hardly anyone I know has one; we all communicate by mobiles. XD I don't have one cuz it's cheaper for me to just use my mobile.
                          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                            Landline? What is this strange thing you speak of?

Hardly anyone I know has one; we all communicate by mobiles.
                            Father in law is super old fashioned and does not like new technology. Yet he has a business cell phone - paid for by his company - and is ok with that as long as its for business or emergencies only.
                            Yet when it comes to oh I dunno actually being able to save time and money by going with a cheaper company or better cell phone plan its like i asked them to cut off an arm or something.
                            Fine don't save money, but don't expect me to answer the phone all day either.
                            Most of the time I can't because by the fourth ring the machine gets it and I don't drop everything for that phone

also did I mention we cannot call long distance but they can call us? yeah...someone abused that function ages ago
                            Yeah we're so over, over

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                              You can only sort of trust those sites, unfortunately. The people who post up numbers are often too stupid to be trusted with their own phones.

Do a search for 805-637-7243. That's the T-Mobile voicemail system, and yet you'll find hundreds of entries for people wondering who it is that called them.

^-.-^
                              they are a nice resource to see if enough people get the same thing. unfortuenately a lot of "telemarketing" numbers ie. scammers are spoofed or false trails.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                              X