Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People who know how to make you feel guilty...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who know how to make you feel guilty...

over trivial things.

Like for instance, let's say I accidently let out a curse word. A lot of people would just let it go, or at worse, say "don't say that" half jokingly. But then there's some who are so morally pure that any slight offends their holy being. They feel the need to lecture you about how wrong it is to swear, talking down to you like you're some child and they are the arbitor of all morality. They feel like they have to seriously analyze every action, even if it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I could understand not liking hearing others swear, but some people take it way too seriously.

People who lecture for things like that aren't doing it because they're offended - they're doing it because they have some need to feel superior, and you just gave them a perfect excuse to display how morally superior they really are.

Most of the time, it's fairly pathetic.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We have a supervisor at work that actually punishes people for swearing. In a factory. And I am not talking about people not minding their manners and using slurs and insults that could constitute harrassment, I am talking about a "God dammit!" or "Son of a bitch".

She is one of those "changed" people that was once a wild party girl in her 20s, who grew up to be a wonderful doting wife and mother, and of course, she "found God" and became extremely religious, and that's her reasoning as to why you cannot swear. I mean, you cannot curse at all on her shift, because it "offends" her.

I want to tell her so badly that my mother has been to ministry school, and she says "God dammit" and "Jesus Christ!" more often than anyone I know!

Comment

I hate guilt trips. I dropped out of high school because a growing number of teachers decided that guilt trips were the best way to get students to behave.

I broke down and cried for half a night because I had trouble finishing my math homework, I worked too slow in carpentry, and various other things that happened that I can't remember at the moment. All because of the guilt trip movement my teachers tried to pull.

I went back and got my GED when I felt I was able to.

Comment

I am sorry to hear that happened to you

Comment

I'm doing a lot better now.

Comment

If it's any consolation, I am very easily guilted by some people. And I hate that about myself. Mostly it's my parents who can make me feel incredibly guilty, but recently, a coworker has made me feel like a big piece of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                People who lecture for things like that aren't doing it because they're offended - they're doing it because they have some need to feel superior, and you just gave them a perfect excuse to display how morally superior they really are.

Most of the time, it's fairly pathetic.

^-.-^
                Yeah that's what I get from it. It's a form of manipulation, pointing out the your flaws and trangressions just so they can look like the good guy.

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                If it's any consolation, I am very easily guilted by some people. And I hate that about myself. Mostly it's my parents who can make me feel incredibly guilty, but recently, a coworker has made me feel like a big piece of shit.
                Same here which is even more reason to dislike those people.

Comment

Working...
                X