X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Customer "support"

After posting, I realized this was EXTREMELY LONG. so, im editing it
    Short Version.
    Computer broke Monday, told 1-2 days i would get a call from a tech to come out at replace the part and asked me for a phone # I can be reached at
    2 days later at 4pm I call dell to find out WTF, they tell me the tech called. turns out they were calling my parents home phone and not my cell like instructed. Also managed to refer me to the wrong repair company because as the guy who answered said, dell makes this mistake often and I need to call them from the right number. I asked for a supervisor to bitch to, took 10 min for that at while point he told me his tech was going to contact the repair tech directly, which I already managed to do while waiting for the sup.

After dropping a line about planning on contacting the BBB to file a complaint for fraud involving the service contract at how badly they dropped the ball and now im another day without my computer. That is was great that they got to waste a day of my service contract over their mistake, he offered to extend my warranty 30 days.

I'm just wondering am I expecting too much from Dell to actually USE the contact information they require from me? Or wanting them to know who the fuck is supposed to come out and fix my computer? I can safely say that even with the deal I got on the computer, next time I'll pay the extra and not have to worry about my computer breaking. From a friend who posted on my status who also got a dell recently, it isn't the matter of me liking the dell had a "quick warranty process" IF my computer breaks, but actually WHEN.

Previously, I dealt with them for my laptop in college which was a good deal because thanks to accidental damage they pretty much replaced the whole thing from 4 years of abuse. Of course, I forgot they shipped it to an address 40miles from where I was located and NOT the one I was expecting or able to receive my computer at and told me to contact DHL and ask for it to be redirected.
    Last edited by insertNameHere; 04-21-2011, 12:17 AM.

My personal opinion, Dell can cease to exist. They have good products, but they are guilty on so many accounts of harrassment and dirty tricks, it's not even laughable.

I don't blame you for being upset. I figured they weren't even remotely helpful on top of being phone stalkers.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      My personal opinion, Dell can cease to exist. They have good decent-ish products, but they are guilty on so many accounts of harrassment and dirty tricks, it's not even laughable.

I don't blame you for being upset. I figured they weren't even remotely helpful on top of being phone stalkers.
      Fixed it for you! Wondering if you have a story?

I actually REFUSE to talk to them on the phone because i honestly have trouble understand their accents. I stick to online chat because everything is clear, and I tend to get faster results.

But anyways, Gateway is a good product, I have my moms 10yr old pentium 3 that has been up for 85days straight (linux kicks ass for file sharing), Never had to replace a part. Mine is maybe 7 years old P4 that the harddrive finally died but lots of use and a video card when it was still under warranty.

For my 2 month old computer to replace the power supply is kind of Bs, especially when my friend posted that she has a 4 month old dell that they had to replace the power supply on also. Which makes me wonder. WTF? I have proper spacing around the tower for air flow

Comment

I posted it on CS a while back, but I had a huge problem paying off the balance on my laptop.

I had a few hundred dollars remaining and came across the means to pay it all off at once, so I did so. Dell managed to tack on another finance charge the day AFTER the in-full payment cleared

I kind of ignored it (my own fault there, yes, I know), and the $15 stayed in the back of my mind. Well, the day that it was due came and went. Starting the VERY next day, Dell called my phone no less than once per hour (if not twice per hour) until I answered it. It was the automated system demanding a payment, so I chose the option to pay the next day (or day after, whatever).

So I did pay it the day I said I would. However, Dell's financial services (er, lackthereof) wouldn't process the payment for 2 more business days. I figured you know what, that's their problem, I made the payment when I said I would.

The NEXT day, that damn number was blowing up my phone hourly or twice hourly AGAIN. I ignored it. Then a number tried to reach me, I tried to *69 but it said AT&T had blocked the call, so it may have been an unapproved international call or something or whatever. First time my phone provider EVER blocked a number from calling me. Within minutes, that number eventually got through and just for shits and giggles, I answered. I got Abu Dahli jibber jabbering at me about my late payment of $15 and that's where I lost it and told him I made the fucking payment, it wasn't my problem that Dell financial services decided it was going to take 2 days to process it, if they called me one more time I'd file for harrassment, fuck off.

Not my proudest moment, but GOD DAMN. You cannot call someone that freaking much. Not to mention, it was not even the time of the billing cycle for there to be a finance charge. They added that for whatever dumb reason they felt like!

Comment

Blas, it seems they are good at epic fails. The tech came to replace my power supply today, and rest assured he said he hoped it worked but it sounded like a motherboard issue, and that they should have actually sent a motherboard just incase especially considering what it was doing. I kind of figured that too. So, now im another DAY without my computer that if they could have fucking managed to do their job, yesterday we would have learned the part wouldn't work and a new one would already be here. Now, they decide to send basically all the parts for a new comptuer, including the front bezel. The look the tech gave me when they said front bezel was priceless.

Comment

What's really fun is googling "Dell financial harrassment" or just "Dell harrassment".......you get pages and pages of complaints.

Yes, they are great at epic fails. And harrassment.

Comment

And this is why I build my own. Not only does it force me to know what does what inside the case, but if something goes wrong, I can pop down to the local Fry's, pick up what I need, and be up and running by that evening. Or maybe have to order from NewEgg and have to wait a couple of days.

Of course, I realize this isn't an option for a lot of people, and you poor sods get stuck with whatever sort of service comes with your location.

A few of our work machines are Dells, and I'm pretty sure the only reason they do that is because we don't actually have a dedicated tech on site.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Andara,
                Sadly there is nothing like frys remotely in this area, all the computer shops around here have an insane markup, IE, newegg is really the only option so if I need to return something it a pain. If I want to drive 60-90min away there is I believe a microcenter that is sort of similar to frys.

Although from this experience I will "overpay" for a machine knowing that it will WORK when I want it to, because I will be confident in the quality of the parts I use. I went to dell because I want to save some money compared to building on my own.

Comment

In college I had a Dell desktop. It worked great and I had no problems with it. Eventually I sold it to my mom's boyfriend because I needed a laptop. As far as I know he's still using it and it's got to be around 6 or 7 years old by this point.

Anyway I bought a Dell laptop. I had nothing but problems with it. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty with accidental damage coverage, because I had to replace every part of it within the first year of owning it. I had so many problems with it, and tech support that I just sold it and have never owned a Dell product since. I've used Sony (which was ok) and now have a Hewlett Packard that I'm quite happy with.

Comment

If I have problems with my computer, I have my coworkers take a look at it, or if it's dire, I'll take it to the RAM store a few blocks away.

I won't deal with Dell ever again.

Comment

I've never had a problem with Dell. I've gotten good laptops from them for decent prices. My first one lasted me throughout college. The only reason I got a new one after college was because of some virus that fucked it up beyond all belief. Whoever wrote that one needs to die a painful death. The only problem I had with it was when the light in the screen died. Sent it to Dell, even though the warranty was over. Fixed it for free and I had it back in about 10 days.

My new laptop that I've had since about September is great. Again great poduct, great price. Runs like a champ.
                      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

There are few skills in life that will save you more money than learning how to put together your own computer and how to replace parts when needed. If you really need to go with a pre-built system, order it from a reputable hardware outlet that won't fark you over. Avoid brand name prebuilt systems like the god damn plague that they are.

Comment

My husband builds computers, I can too but I really don't have time between my job and the kids. He built himself a desktop and has replaced parts and upgraded it over time. He's also done all my laptop repairs, and builds custom desktops as a side job which is a nice way for some extra income.

Comment

I have the ability to build computers, I really didn't think dells quality had fallen that much, apparently I'm learning an important lesson. As my computer is still broke a week later, and I know that is wrong with it I just need the damn parts. Actually, if we had a decent cheap comptuer store around here I would have built my own, but I hate the whole mail order thing when something goes wrong.

Comment

Yeah, it sucks if you have to RMA something with mail order. But, honestly, aren't you dealing with essentially mail order suck right now? Only you're an extra step away from the source, this time.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X