road trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road trips

I suppose the best way to explain this is that over the past several years, I've gotten to where I'm NOT a fan of traveling anywhere by vehicle.......reason being that I tend to get severe panic attacks and need to use the bathroom. (and since the latter isn't necessarily available when I need it, this makes road trips not very pleasant for me)

Anyhow, my sister and her husband were talking about renting a 12-passenger van this summer and taking a trip to northern California. And I really DON'T want to come along..........sometimes I'm fine on car trips, other times not, and I feel that I shouldn't have to be involved in something which I don't enjoy that much.

It sounds like the trip is still in the planning stages.

If you don't want to go, then don't go.

If they raise a big stink about it, then be the adult in the conversation.

Comment

I can hardly even make the hour drive back home to visit grandma. My dad is so obnoxious in the car, my mom has the shortest fuse known to man.....dad has this strange OCD thing about always wanting to lock/unlock/lock/unlock the windows or doors (basically just pressing the buttons for the main controls on the driver's side door) and to keep messing with the heater/AC. Mom sometimes starts singing and it makes me just want to open the door and tuck and roll.

Comment

I have found that riding in a car can fill my bladder up faster than almost anything else (assuming that I've been drinking a normal amount of liquid). It's strange.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
          I have found that riding in a car can fill my bladder up faster than almost anything else (assuming that I've been drinking a normal amount of liquid). It's strange.
          Riding the bus does that to me

I don't like long road trips either...I am happy to ride in a car for about half an hour and then I"m done. Any longer and I get uncomfortable and want to move.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I go home several times a year, and that's usually an 8-hour road trip. I actually really like driving, and I only get carsick when driving through mountains. Usually, I only have to take 2-3 stops, but, yeah, it's amazing how much you feel like you have to pee when on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyHabersham View Post
              Anyhow, my sister and her husband were talking about renting a 12-passenger van this summer and taking a trip to northern California. And I really DON'T want to come along..........
              Ick. i don't blame you. I love road trips with just my bf and I, but the thought of being crammed into a van with so many other people just makes me wanna

I just got back from a bus trip to NYC. There was so much stop-go traffic that a 4 hour trip turned out to be 6 hours. For the first leg of the trip I sat next to a stranger which increased my anxiety in addition to my motion sickness. *shudder*
              Last edited by Giggle Goose; 04-26-2011, 05:49 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Comment

Originally posted by Giggle Goose View Post
                Ick. i don't blame you. I love road trips with just my bf and I, but the thought of being crammed into a van with so many other people just makes me wanna
                Yeah, I know what you mean.......especially when you're stuck with a kid who's shrieking because they want to nurse and there's nowhere to stop, or they just hate being in their car seat. (which was the case with my nephew when he was a baby.....it was NOT fun traveling with him)

Comment

Just politely and honestly decline. "Thanks, but I don't like road trips."

If they don't like it, whatever. Sorry. They're just going to have to not like it. Someone's going to be unhappy. Might as well not be you.

I'm not kidding, I've blown off many, many trips for whatever reason or another. It gets easier.

Comment

Be glad you don't have to take road trips with the MOTHâ„¢. He's driven from NJ to WI without stopping for longer than 10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                    X