Hipsters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
    I think you guys are romanticizing hippies.

The vast majority of them just smoked pot, made fun of "squares", and listened to shitty music.

The only difference between hipsters and hippies is the decade and the size of the leg opening on their jeans.
    You described my Uncle Peter in a nutshell...he's never left the 60's. Picture Leo from "That 70's Show" and that's my uncle. Same clothing style and mannerisms, and about as permafried. He's 71 now and still tries to live the hippy lifestyle - he was left a large chunk of land in the middle of nowhere that he's tried several times over the years to turn into a commune...and when that doesn't work he just grows a crop of 'weed' to cover his expenses for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      Really? Wow. Gotta let my parents and their friends know that most of them were in it for the drugs and to be all counter-cultural.

^-.-^
      I'm pretty sure that Boozy wasn't saying that ALL hippies weren't like that. Boozy said 'vast majority' - big difference there.

Not only hippies were involved in the peace movement - people from all walks of life were. Some hippies really were all about the counter-culture and experimenting with psychotropic drugs, and didn't give a damn about the war. Housewives, preppies, you name it, lent a hand to the peace movement but the hippies got the most attention because they were the most obvious participants.

Comment

Hippies were the most obvious threat to the status quo, and bad for commerce, too. So they made good news.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm confused. I thought hipsters were people who wore black and skinny jeans and clunky glasses and go to Starbuck's all the time, eat only vegan food (in public anyway) and only read books that the New York Times Book Review likes.

Those are the ones that come into the bookstore, anyway. They don't smell or anything. Am I wrong and these people are something else?

Comment

Nah, that's a definite description of the current crop of hipsters.

The convo got sidetracked into being about hippies. Said term being derived from hipster, which is from the 40's and was originally coined by a jazz musician as part of his stage name.

Supposedly, hipsters crop up strongly when the economy is unstable and the likelihood of doing better than your parents is pretty much nil. Basically, kids who have the time and money to pay attention to this stuff act as not-like-their-parents as they can in some sort of effort to show that they won't end up in the same place. Nevermind that most of their parents did just about the same thing when they were young.

It just seems that this current crop is more commercialized, embraces less individuality, and is far more about image than art or social message than previous generations.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
              Im sorry wtf is a hipster?
              this song covers 90% of "hipster culture"-warning this song is catchy....

and come one you guys all forgot the hipster love of Pabst Blue Ribbon
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

There are some in every generation. Though they go by different names. Rebels, hipsters, even some Goth..they take to a certain trend .. and anybody who doesn't follow that trend like mindless sheep are .... mindless sheep (is that irony? Or something else?). I always laugh at these individuals.

Music? Like music because you like it, not because it's 'indie' or 'popular'.
                Clothes? If you are comfortable, think you look good (even if you don't ) that is all that matters.
                Anything else? Like what you like, don't like what you don't..and leave everybody to do the same.

Simple concept huh?

Comment

But... But...

How can you possibly be edgy when you're not uncomfortable in your clothes and you listen to/watch things that *gasp* the 'mainstream' might also be enjoying?

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                  X