Referring to oneself as "Ms." or "Mr."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referring to oneself as "Ms." or "Mr."

This may be an etiquette or a generational thing that I'm being completely ignorant or rude about.

I have a new boss, and while I like her a lot, she has this habit of saying "This is Ms. S" when she answers the phone and also when signing things. She lets me call her by her first name, though. I've noticed a few other people in various business settings have done this. Most of them were women, I don't think I've ever heard a male referring to himself as "Mr."

If I've never met someone before, especially in a business context, i will refer to that person as Mr. or Ms. "x" until they ask me to call them by their first name, which nine times out of ten they do. So please don't think I'm being impolite or ignorant, it just bugs that crap outta me when someone has to refer to themselves as a title. Something about it just seems so pompous and irritating.

I refer to professionals like doctors or professors by title just as a formality. It really means nothing to me other than just that -- a formality.

Otherwise, I refer to everyone by first or last name (no titles preceding name), depending on how I get used to addressing them. If I don't know someone by name I use "sir" or "mam" because it does sound better than "hey you."

As for people who insist on being addressed more formally just because they think I should, they'll probably find it offensive when I laugh at their ridiculous assertion. If I do so at all after that, it will only be a sarcastic mockery.

Comment

Insisting on being addressed as "Mr." or "Mrs." is pretty outdated, and kinda makes one look like a douche. No one under the age of 70 should be insisting on it.

Like it or not, modern society tends to operate on a first-name-basis.

The only people I refer to as "Mr." or "Mrs." are a few elderly customers, who I recognize are from a different time. They appreciate it, and I don't mind, since they are my "elders".

Comment

They call him Mr. Tibbs...

I ask people to call me by my last name, but without the Mr. My friends use my first name.

But that's just because I like my last name better.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ree; 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

It could also be a societal thing. I know that in Japan, unless you were close friends, you would pretty much not refer to anyone by their given name at all, and you'd often include a suffix to indicate relational rank as well.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            It could also be a societal thing. I know that in Japan, unless you were close friends, you would pretty much not refer to anyone by their given name at all, and you'd often include a suffix to indicate relational rank as well.
            Kind of doubt op's boss is from Japan and even if they were, the system doesn't translate well me thinks. Its pretty complicated. >.>

Rather I'd say its a left over from the 50-60's that's quite outdated these days. There's still a cultural tendency to refer to seniors as Mr or Mrs for example.

Comment

I used to refer to my teachers as "Ms." even if they were married, or "Mr." if they were male. I still go by "Miss Fireheart" though since I'm still at home and not married

Comment

Re: college professors - Most are Ph.D.s, but some aren't. When in doubt "Professor Last Name" is fine for conversation. Some dickwads will haughtily correct you, "It's Doctor Last Name." Most will give you their first name. In terms of written address (such as formal invitations and such), etiquette books will tell you to put Ph.D.s as "John Smith, Ph.D." While that's technically correct, every Ph.D. I know prefers, "Dr. John Smith". Then again, etiquette books still tell you to address couples as "Mr. and Mrs. His Full Name" which is ridiculously out-of-date.

Comment

I have to agree.

Occasionally in the call center, I will get a person who says 'This is Mr. Jones and I need to change my reservation.'

My immediate reaction is that the person is probably a douchebag.

Comment

At my second high school, there were a few teachers for some reason always called on students as "Mr. Jones" "Miss Brown".....why? We were teenagers for pete's sake!

I always laugh when I get mail addressed to "Mrs. Blasenheimer".....because that's just gross if you think about it. I'm not married to someone with my last name.

Most of it is addressed to Miss or Ms, but I get a kick out of the mail for "Mrs"....it's usually credit card applications and scams I don't want a part of, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                      I have to agree.

Occasionally in the call center, I will get a person who says 'This is Mr. Jones and I need to change my reservation.'

My immediate reaction is that the person is probably a douchebag.
                      "'This is Bob and I need to change my reservation."
                      No last name given as he's not used to using it, which bob?
                      Does the system list him as first initial? R. Smith R. Jones R. Gartfunkle

Saying Bob Gartfunlke or Mr. Robert Gartfunkle automatically finds him, the last name might help narrow things down a little depending on how popular that name is with your guests.

When I've tried (and failed for some obscure reason) to pay my unit over the phone I start with "This is Mr. Lastname unit number" calling and saying "Hi I'm 'Bob' and im calling to pay for my unit." doesnt sound right. Just saying I'm calling to pay for my unit number and not giving my name also sounds just as odd and also impersonal.

Although I only expect my bank manager to call me by my last name, not that I have cause to see him or her, but I don't think they should be too familiar with just using my first name.
                      Calling out "first name last name" with no mr is fine in my books, but not calling me by my first (or prefered middle name) not for a bank meeting.

I call all my supervisors and managers by first name, hell I hardly know any last names as we don't use them and given that most times I'm talking to one person alone, unless I have to get their attention, I don't even have to say their name at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                        Kind of doubt op's boss is from Japan and even if they were, the system doesn't translate well me thinks. Its pretty complicated.
                        Def not!!

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                        "'This is Bob and I need to change my reservation."
                        No last name given as he's not used to using it, which bob?
                        Does the system list him as first initial? R. Smith R. Jones R. Gartfunkle
                        I just use my full name without a title in that case. Somehow I just can't stomach calling myself "Ms. (my last name)." Something about it just smacks of douchebaggery. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                          Kind of doubt op's boss is from Japan...
                          I wasn't suggesting she was, I was only using that as an example because it was convenient.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                          X