You didn't listen....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You didn't listen....

...so eff off. Yeah, that's right. I'm kind of the disclaimers. i'm the lord of 20/20 foresight. So if I present to you my words of wisdom, and you fail to adhere to them, don't come crying to me when things go south.

For instance, if I say "Hey dude, you shouldn't eat that chili, it'll give you burning diarrhea." and you eat the chili anyway, I do not want to hear you complain. I don't want to smell your awful shits. I'm not getting you toilet paper. In fact, I don't want to be inconvenienced in the slightest by your mistake.

Or if I tell my young newlywed friends to hold off on having kids because it's a stressful burden on a brand new relationship, especially for two people who loooove to party, and they go ahead and have kids anyway, I do not want to listen to them bitch. I don't want to read their facebook posts, I don't want to hear it in conversation, and I don't want to be saddled with "helping" them. I did try to help , and my help was refused, so they can go fuck themselves.

I hate repeating myself, and I hate being ignored, especially since my advice is usually pretty good. Not 100% of the time, no one's is. And no one is obligated to do what I tell them, but I'm not obligated to put up with their bullshit after they ignore me.

Friends don't always listen to our advice, and they're not required to.

The mark of a good friend is allowing people to make their own choices and mistakes, and being there for them anyway.

And if you have friends who are constantly screwing up, never listening to anyone, and always complaining, why are you their friend anyway?

Comment

It doesn't necessarily have to be a friend. Could be family. Could be a neighbor.

Yeah, no one they're not required to listen to my advice. And I'm not required to give a shit either. The mark of a good friend is someone who doesn't drag their dirty laundry through your house all the time.

Comment

People, most of the the time, don't ask for advice to get advice. People ask for advice for you to give them confirmeration that what they want to do is the right thing. This is why they always seem put off when you tell them the truth. I am the master of relationship advice (when it comes to everyone else). It just almost always makes sense to me what the correct course of action is. Most of the time, people ignore it because it definitely wasn't what they wanted to hear so they take their own advice and things get messed up. Know what happened to my friend that actually listens to my advice and takes it? Her relationship is probably the strongest I know of.

But yea, when people come to you for advice, I'd say about 95% of the time, they are just looking for confirmation that what they want to do is the correct choice, not advice.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I heard a saying once, about not giving advice -- "Wise men don't need it, and fools don't heed it." Or something like that.
          --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Well frequently my advice isn't even asked for...probably because I'm the "I told you so" type.

But all the psychobabble and resentment bullcrap in the world doesn't change how right I am. And I wish people would just get it through their skulls that ignoring my advice = no help from me later. It's not such a horrible thing is it? "Hmm, all I have to do is listen to DrFaroohk and things will be fine? Fuck that, I'm gonna fuck everything up!"

Comment

I get what you're saying......thankfully, though, most people don't bother me with their stupid problems anymore, because they didn't like what I said to them oh so many times. Like, oh, stop inviting strangers over to your parties, quit picking up tag-alongs at the bar and you won't get stalked, quit driving drunk.....le sigh.

Comment

Exactly!

And most of this for me is a learned behavior. I used to have a lot more problems where it was my own fault. Got kids? My own fault - shoulda been more careful! Student loans got me down? oh fucking well, my fault. Got assaulted? Shit, must've been myself! If I hadn't have been physically at that location, I wouldn't have been assaulted! So basically - no fucking sympathy from this department. And don't bother me with your problems! I got my own to deal with.

Comment

I gave up giving advice a long time ago. People almost never listen, and they get resentful if I tell them "I told you so." I'll still give advice if I'm specifically asked, but that rarely happens.

People do what they do because it seemed like a good idea a the time. Their reasons might not be sound, but if they're not sound, they probably don't realize it.
                  "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Well that's fine...I don't fault anyone for wanting to do things there own way. I just resent my involvement in it after I've already given them my advice. And that's why I do so frequently, because I don't want to clean up a mess. If I tell you not to stack the boxes that high, and you do, and they fall over, fuck you! I'm not cleaning it. It's your friggin problem.

Oh, you really really wanted to drink that whole fifth of vodka didn't you? Even after I told you not to? Great, fine. I'm glad you had fun. Oh, now you want me to clean up your puke? HAHAHAHAHA! Go fuck yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X