Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just need to vent on a LOT of stuff. (Yep. It's gonna be LONG.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just need to vent on a LOT of stuff. (Yep. It's gonna be LONG.)

Yeah. It's just... way too much on my mind at the moment. My brain's been island-hopping. Grab a drink, it's gonna be long.

----------------------

Recently, I had an abscess incised and drained. Now, the simplest thing would've been to hand me a work excuse and give me gauze, tape and three days to heal up from the procedure. What happens instead? 'Call this doctor as soon as you can so you can return to work.' Said doctor's receptionist, whose attitude was a little more than scathing, scheduled it for a week after the fact.

It wasn't the fact that I had to wait a week, because face it: medical leave is really nothing more than an unpaid vacation to me, though that money could've come in handy this week. Hell, it wasn't the fact that it cost me $175 for the visit due to my still shopping around for a decent insurance plan; it's one of the benefits at work, but somehow it doesn't count as a 'benefit' if I still have to pay for it. But seriously, if most of us have to master the fine art of sucking up the stress of a job, receptionists should have to also. Getting sliced open was bad enough.

-----------------------

I don't know how many of you remember my neighbors. You know, the ones on the western fenceline from us. Lemme tell you about the drunken piece of shit next door. I'm gonna try to keep this as brief as possible.

He drinks nothing but Mickey's all day and verbally harasses everyone in the neighborhood. Naturally, there's been a few incidents where he made the idiotic mistake of doing so outside of his fenceline, and there's a few people in the neighborhood who have no qualms about taking advantage of being on city property to knock him on his ass. In fact, it's already happened quite a few times, and one of those incidents was close enough to our house that I could hear him crying on the ground after he got the derp knocked out of him. And he still got up and resumed mouthing off.

Here's the best part: the police have recommended that the rest of the neighborhood stay away from him. Given his history of wandering around and even one arrest for trespassing and attempted burglary, us staying away from him is practically an impossibility.

Come to think of it, that might be a good thing. Unless the laws changed down here, you can still shoot trespassers. Not lethally, I don't think, but a leg-shot to keep his ass in place until the police show up and drag him off where he belongs? That should work.

----------------------

The local bus company restricted smoking at one of their transfer centers to a point away from any doors (rough guess: about 25 feet away from the doors, staying away from the curbs). Big deal, I know; I got used to smoking at least that far away from doors even before they green-lighted the restriction. But there's no signage on the outside of the building saying that. I'm not the type to push something like that, but seriously, put some signs on the outside as well as inside so you have some sort of fallback in case someone gives security some lip about the whole thing.

----------------------

Speaking of the bus system, it's a lot of fun to be on the way to another nine hours of Happy Fun Time when some jackass decided to change lanes so he's in front of the bus... and slow down. Sorry that the 30-40 people crammed into the bus like tobacco are inconveniencing you by being on the same road as you. Bus-related accidents are rare, but they do happen. This is a maybe-quarter-ton little car jumping in front of a vehicle 8x bigger and heavier. If that bus driver doesn't have fast enough reflexes in case you end up doing a brake test out of the blue, it ain't his fault.

----------------------

Another road-related gripe: I'm seeing a lot of drivers between the final leg of my bus ride to work and work itself who don't seem to understand the complicated mechanics of a turn signal. Imagine how much fun it is to cross a street and have to jump backwards to avoid some dumbass who's more concerned with the text she's sending than with (le gasp!) watching the fucking road. Sure, we passed a law making texting while driving illegal and punishable by heavy fines, but apparently that law hasn't made it to the outskirts of town yet. Double-you-tee-eff-ell-oh-ell.

----------------------

Minor political bitching here, but Texas announced even more budget cuts, which makes me wonder why we even have a 'rainy day fund'. Probably something about that particular item I don't understand yet, but doesn't 'rainy day fund' sound like something you'd start building up in case of something like, oh, I dunno, budget shortfalls?

----------------------

We stopped going to the Burger King closest to the house for one very simple, yet annoying reason: as high as employee turnover is at that restaurant, you'd think two of the job requirements they'd list would be 'must be able to count to four' and 'must learn all items on menu'. That second one I had to add because of that store's final straw: as often as I'd been inside that place and ordered a Quad Stacker meal (by contrast, the high point of the place was one cashier I miss because she'd see me and know immediately what I want; you have to love someone that good at her job!), and as often as BK had mentioned that particular item in their advertising, that the question 'Do we make that?' should not leave the lips of an employee that works for the company that created that item!

----------------------

There's an annoying trend that my girlfriend and I both noticed at our respective jobs: there's always going to be at least one or two people who get the job, work until their first payday, and flat-out quit. Not because of the pressures of the job or because of bad blood between their coworkers, but because they just wanted to get money to fill their fridges. And it's not contract work, either: it's either part- or full-time jobs.

Let me reiterate: they're quitting after their first check for the sole reason that they just needed the money.

Now, I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I'm as prone to bouts of irrationality as anyone else, but wouldn't the logic follow that if you work long enough at a place to get paid, the most sensible thing to do would be to keep working there? At least their resumes are gonna look shitty. "I see here you worked at Quick Cash, Inc. for... two weeks?" "Yeah. I needed to make my car payment." "...thank you for your time. Get out."

----------------------

...damn it, there was more. Oh, well. It'll come in the next thread, trust me.
    This space for rent.

That last one. I...I...don't know what to say.

Comment

Yeah, like who can afford to burn jobs like that in this kind of economy?

Comment

I feel for you. It really sucks when you have a lot to vent about at one time. But I hope posting here made you feel better. It works for me quite often

Comment

for the last one: I have heard of job hopping (as in every couple of YEARS) but this really takes hopping to a whole new level that I just can not comprehend.
          I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
          The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Um, wow. If I actually managed to get a job...and kept it until I got a paycheck...why the hell would I wanna LEAVE? Unless I absolutely had to?

Also, it's really sad when the people who work there don't even know what the fuck the place makes.
            "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Working...
            X