Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to someone's house when they have kids...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to someone's house when they have kids...

(a rant about my friends and their lack of courtesy for the kids)
    (this applies to YOUNG CHILDREN)

Yeah, I know, babies aren't supposed to be in total silence cuz it makes then used to it, but that doesn't mean people need to try extra hard to be loud. Hell, I make more noise than most people since i'[m so huge, but the difference is I muffle a lot of it. I TRY to be quiet, and most people just seem to be the opposite.

The baby's nap time is basically my ONLY time of peace throughout the day, and people just love to go out of their way to ruin it. And quiet or loud, inside voice or yelling, slamming a door vs. closing it quietly, can be the difference between a 90 minute nap (bad for me) or a 2.5 hour nap (yay for me!)

But I figure some people simply don't understand, so to help you along, here's some simple rules for those who are going to pay a social call to those with children....

Rule #1 - If you go to someone's house and you know they have young children, automatically assume the children are asleep. Ignorance is no excuse for waking them up.

Rule #2 - Do not slam the front door as you come in. It does not need to be slammed. It is not a giant metal vault door. It is a regular front door. Close it gently.

Rule #3 - You are not at a Metallica concert, and thus your voice should not be at that audible level. Especially when the adults you are talking to keep saying "Shhhh." And they are leading by example by speaking slightly quieter voices. We all learned about "inside voices" long ago right?

Rule #4 - Sure you can use the computer for a minute. That does not mean you play DJ and entertain the neighborhood with my kickass Wal-Mart speakers!

Rule #5 - Ya know what? Don't wake my fucking kid up. That's all I ask. Just don't wake my fucking kid up. It's not that hard.
    Last edited by DrFaroohk; 06-07-2011, 08:43 PM.

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
    Just don't wake my fucking up. It's not that hard.
    My fucking needs waking up, my fucking is in a coma

Kidding aside, I would be terrible to have as a house guest as I have very little in the way of volume control, I'm just semi loud all the time, least I'm not a guy at work, hes talking like hes under a jet engine even stood next to you.
    Though I doubt he could give loud ralph or whomever from dilbert a run for his money.

Comment

This isn't directed at the OP, who I sympathize with, this thread just reminded me of an experience.

I used to have roommates that were a married couple and, after some time, were a married couple with a new baby. After a full day of working two jobs, I was tired and cranky and wanted to come home and put my feet up. Apparently I slammed the door. New mommie ran down the stairs and hissy-screamed at me how dare I slam the door. But see, I didn't actually "slam" the door. It's an old house and you did indeed need to pull the door shut forcefully in order for it to latch. I'd always closed it that way. New mommy and daddy had always closed it that way. I'd closed it that way for the first month of baby's life. But that ONE NIGHT it woke the baby and that made me an inconsiderate ass. I was so happy when I saved enough money to move into my own place.

I found it interesting as well, that baby was fussing from the loud door, but didn't start howling until mommy screamed at me.

Comment

I don't have kids, but I live in a very old, very crappily insulated apartment, so I can sympathize with you on people who make no effort to be quiet.

It's gotten to the point where barely anyone will come over, but that's fine with me. I hate people who stomp up and down stairs and who bellow and yell from room to room as if they were in a house or a newer, better insulated thicker walled apartment.

Comment

Our upstairs neighbors do that (they have 2 kids).

On the flip side of what DF's talking about, for some reason they get to be as loud as they please (apparently with the apartment complex's 'blessing'; so they have the right to quiet enjoyment and we don't? management is breaking their own rules) even when we're sleeping/studying/working because "they're just kids!" and that's their excuse (if "they're just kids", then why are the kids living below us perfectly capable of being quiet out of respect for everyone else?).
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post

I found it interesting as well, that baby was fussing from the loud door, but didn't start howling until mommy screamed at me.

lol reminds me of my house sometimes. it's like this:

Random Person <Volume +8> = HELLO!

Me <Volume -3>: Hey there, can you be quiet, baby is sleeping.

RP +9 = Oh sure sorry about that!

Me -3 = Uh, yeah, please just keep it down.

RP +10 = That's no problem I know how it is!

Me -4 = Obviously not, since you're still talking so loud.

RP +11 = Yeah sure, hey lets watch TV!

(at this point I lose my patience)

Me +20 = AWESOME GREAT LET'S GO WATCH TV IS THIS LOUD ENOUGH FOR YOU JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ANYTHING ELSE WE WANT TO YELL AND SCREAM ABOUT!?!?!?!?

Comment

Don't let people in when the baby's sleeping?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                Though I doubt he could give loud ralph or whomever from dilbert a run for his money.
                Loud Howard. I just watched the animated Dilbert series not long ago on Netflix. That show just cracks me up.

Other than a select few family and friends, I really don't like anyone dropping in for a visit unannounced. Disturbing my daughter is not so much a problem as getting my spastic dog stirred up because he takes forever to calm down again. On workdays, I'm trying to get things done around my work schedule, so I really don't have time to visit with anyone who is not expected. On free days, I've probably made plans to work on things I couldn't get done on work days, and unexpected visitors tend to get in the way of those plans. Even if I seem to have no plans for a particular chunk of free time, I was probably planning to have some me time because I do like to get away from everyone and everything now and then. I'm not trying to be unsociable, but I tend to get really cranky if I don't have a regular dose of alone time when I can get it.

Comment

Working...
                X