Any more bright ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any more bright ideas?

We recently acquired an Xbox 360. It seems ok, except all the games that came with it are first person shooters.

Really? FPS? On a fucking console? How many times do we have to go through this before we realize it's a really bad idea? It doesn't work! It's like typing with a mouse!

It works just fine for millions of people.

Sure, it's not ideal, but a lot of people don't want to shell out what it would take to get the same sort of experience with a computer.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

They're pretty damn popular, so obviously companies will keep making them. When I worked at the rental store, we couldn't keep Call of Duty: Black Ops in stock when it first came out...and still got tons of calls and questions every day asking if we had any that had just been returned or were due back that day. And we had 30+ copies of it for the Xbox alone.

Just because you don't like FPS on a console doesn't mean that no one else will. Look for some game genres that you enjoy and start stocking up on those

As an aside, I hate FPS games. I don't find them fun and I'm not particularly good at them. So instead I buy games that I do like. But if I got a console and a bunch of games with it for a decent price, I wouldn't be complaining. Instead, I would try to maybe trade those games in for ones I did like.

Comment

Yeah, the new Call of Duty is already up for preorder, and a lot of people are already stoked for Halo 4. In fact, Fiance is wanting to get an XBox (so he can play Halo with a good friend). Well, it's also a Blu-Ray player, right? It's not my favorite game genre (although I loved GoldenEye), but I'm sure I'll be able to find some games that I like.

Comment

I didn't think the Xbox had a blu-ray player included. The PS3 does, though. But the Halo series is exclusively on Xbox.

Comment

Oops, at first I thought your complaint was because only one person can play a FPS game instead of having multiple players. Well that and....FPS games can be pretty gory for kids.

Comment

Yeah I get they're popular they just seem....really really shitty. Movement is slow and clunky. Oh look, there's a guy to my left!

Turn....

Turn...

Turn...

Turn...

Turn...

Turn...

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                Turn....

Turn...

Turn...

Turn...

Turn...

Turn...
                This is a bit off-topic, but...

Your tendency to over-exaggerate really hurts the case you're making, not just in this argument, but most of the ones I see from you on this site. I agreed with your original point, as I too find most FPS games, especially played on a console, clunky and unresponsive. But I went from going, "Yeah, he's right, it does kind of suck" to "... It really isn't THAT bad. Come on now." Exaggeration works to prove an argument only to a certain degree. Once you take it to the point of ridiculousness, and on such a regular basis, it undermines the entire point of exaggeration, which is to make a point bigger and more obvious. Instead, you make it so huge and so obnoxious that no one wants to pay attention to it anymore because it's... Well, farcical. It no longer pertains to the subject at hand. So you're not doing yourself any favours.

Comment

Yeah I get they're popular they just seem....really really shitty. Movement is slow and clunky. Oh look, there's a guy to my left!

Turn....

Turn...

Turn...

Turn...

Turn...

Turn...
                  Weird, I've never experienced this with games like CoD or Halo. And if you are expecting super-human speeds that are unrealistic, I guess I could see your point. But I think a lot of FPS games on xbox are great.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                    Well, it's also a Blu-Ray player, right?
                    Xbox 360 doesn't have a blu-ray player. It can play DVDs, and you can stream Netflix through it if you get Xbox Live Gold, which is what we do. The game selection is pretty good and there are a lot of downloadable games too.

Comment

Oh, ok. I must've got it confused with the PS3, which I do not want, at least until Sony gets a bit less hackable.

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
                        This is a bit off-topic, but...

Your tendency to over-exaggerate really hurts the case you're making, not just in this argument, but most of the ones I see from you on this site. I agreed with your original point, as I too find most FPS games, especially played on a console, clunky and unresponsive. But I went from going, "Yeah, he's right, it does kind of suck" to "... It really isn't THAT bad. Come on now." Exaggeration works to prove an argument only to a certain degree. Once you take it to the point of ridiculousness, and on such a regular basis, it undermines the entire point of exaggeration, which is to make a point bigger and more obvious. Instead, you make it so huge and so obnoxious that no one wants to pay attention to it anymore because it's... Well, farcical. It no longer pertains to the subject at hand. So you're not doing yourself any favours.
                        I gave this some thought for a few days and realized you're right. Many of my exaggerations go beyond the humorous or point making. I used to do it for humor (imagine an angry George Carlin rant). And then I started doing it to, of all things, preserve the honesty of the situation.

Many people in my life always assumed I was exaggerating or lying anyway, so I started to overcompensate for that. I'll say something took 30 minutes, people assume I'm lying and it really took 15 minutes, so I'll just say it took 45 minutes, so people will assume it really took 30 minutes, which is actually how long it took.

Comment

Many people in my life always assumed I was exaggerating or lying anyway, so I started to overcompensate for that. I'll say something took 30 minutes, people assume I'm lying and it really took 15 minutes, so I'll just say it took 45 minutes, so people will assume it really took 30 minutes, which is actually how long it took.
                          It's really too bad that people think that about you, but it's never too late to turn it around. It takes a lot of work and concentration, as well as a lot of time, but if you try, maybe the people will know can come to realize that you're serious. Also, I can definitely see how the exaggeration started out as humour. It can be hilariously funny in the right situations. Unfortunately, serious debate forums are not usually the correct platform for that, as it is so very hard to read tone in these words.

However, I'm very glad you thought about what I said! I look forward to more realistic debates with you, as now your many valid points will have a much better chance of getting through.

Comment

I have the Xbox 360, it's not all about FPS games, you can get the Kinect which is awesome and gives quite the workout too without worrying about accidentally throwing a Wii-mote or nunchuck at your TV. If you like fighting games, you have Street Fighter IV or Mortal Kombat 2011 (which kicks ass IMO) or Super Street Fighter IV and Assassin's Creed for a good RPG. There's the Sega Collection (I forget the exact title) but it has all the Sonic games from Sega and the old school games like Golden Axe and such on there too.
                            There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Working...
                            X