Being that "middle" age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being that "middle" age

So not too long ago, I turned 20. I was pretty excited about it because then I would stop being called a teen and I am now the oldest woman on my dad's side of the family (I still have his last name) to not get pregnant. When I turn 21, I will hold the record in that family for longest wait time for a child. To me, that is an accomplishment.

However, I hate how I am in the middle. There aren't really any events for me being held. Most programs are held for people 18 and under or for people 21 and over. So the times I have off, I don't really have much to do because there is nothing for people who are 19 or 20.

Most of my friends are 21 or older, so when they want to go to a club or a bar, I have to go home because I have less than a year to go before I can join them.

During the day, I can go to the library or hang out with my maternal grandparents. The closest mall is about 45 minutes away, so I don't get much of a chance to go. At night, all I have is to stay at home and watch movies or be on the computer. The high school does host a club,but it is for those who are 18 and under.

I'm not saying that when I turn 21 that I am going to go to the bar all the time. It would be nice to be able to go to see local bands play and I would love to be able to go hang out with my friends and dance at a club. Being this age just reminds me of that awkward time when I was 11 and 12 when I would be treated like a kid most of the time, but I was too old to do other stuff.
    "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

On occasion there will be all ages shows at some clubs, keep your eyes out for those. That's what I did at your age. Also I spent a lot of time at Denny's watching the freak show.

Comment

I'm still kind of stuck on the thread title combined with you just turning 20. My mind started to haze.....

Comment

Yea, being 20 blows. Old enough to not be a teenager so no one will think of you as a kid, which is nice but you get none of the adult benefits. If you make a mistake or mess up, you get no slack. But you can't drink, you can't make important decisions, everyone is still pretty much older than you so they pick everything.

21 is great though. I miss the bars a lot.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Akasa View Post
          On occasion there will be all ages shows at some clubs, keep your eyes out for those. That's what I did at your age. Also I spent a lot of time at Denny's watching the freak show.
          Clubs tend not to advertise their all ages nights, but if they do, it's for 18 and under. You would think that they would try to target 19 and 20 year olds because we would be customers in the very near future versus the 16 year olds who still have a few years.

It also sucks to be underage in a WI college town. The only thing open after 8 pm is Wal-mart, McD's, Domino's, Walmart, and the bars.

I'm not trying to make excuses, I swear. I just live in a boring, one horse town during my breaks and I live in a boring college town during school because I definitely refuse to go to frat parties.
          "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
            I'm still kind of stuck on the thread title combined with you just turning 20. My mind started to haze.....

Which is why I put the quotes =P

My mom feels like she is in a haze when I say I'm 20. =P

Comment

Originally posted by McDreidel09 View Post
              Which is why I put the quotes =P

My mom feels like she is in a haze when I say I'm 20. =P
              20, now I feel old at 36, if I fathered a child at 16 (the legal age in the UK) s/he would be almost or just gone 20.

In other words, I find myself surrounded by co workers who are almost old enough to be my kids, most of the women are under 25.

Comment

I have a co-worker who is the same age as me, and her daughter comes in to work sometimes... I've only got a few years on you, too.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                  20, now I feel old at 36, if I fathered a child at 16 (the legal age in the UK) s/he would be almost or just gone 20.

In other words, I find myself surrounded by co workers who are almost old enough to be my kids, most of the women are under 25.
                  My mother is only 37 and my father is only 41. Yeah. They're youngin's.

What is really funny is that my boyfriend's parents got married 2 years before my mother was born. He is 25 and the youngest of 3 boys.

Comment

I often felt like I was stuck in some kind of limbo when I was in my late teens and early twenties. Legally, I was an adult. However, it still seemed like many people wanted to treat me like I was still a kid. Then again, some of that might have been my perception, since I had always been in a hurry to grow up. I never really "liked" being a kid. That's not to say that I hated my childhood and teen years. It's just that I always wanted to be an adult.

Then I got out of high school and thought, "Yay! I'm finally grown up!" And before I knew it, I was right back in school again (college), and I was still living with my parents. And everyone still seemed to want to look at me like I was still a kid, and in many ways, I still felt like a kid, but I also felt kind of like an adult. After all, I was working and paying for many things that I hadn't paid for as a kid.

I was in limbo, it seemed.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                      I often felt like I was stuck in some kind of limbo when I was in my late teens and early twenties. Legally, I was an adult. However, it still seemed like many people wanted to treat me like I was still a kid. Then again, some of that might have been my perception, since I had always been in a hurry to grow up. I never really "liked" being a kid. That's not to say that I hated my childhood and teen years. It's just that I always wanted to be an adult.

Then I got out of high school and thought, "Yay! I'm finally grown up!" And before I knew it, I was right back in school again (college), and I was still living with my parents. And everyone still seemed to want to look at me like I was still a kid, and in many ways, I still felt like a kid, but I also felt kind of like an adult. After all, I was working and paying for many things that I hadn't paid for as a kid.

I was in limbo, it seemed.
                      Yea, that age period blows. When you do something wrong, you get treated like an adult. When it comes to making decisions, you get treated like a kid.

You know what birthday sucked? 22. It's when you realize counting is pointless.
                      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post

have that same problem at my pizza place with me being 51. heck the GM is only 4 years older than my daughter and half the of the workers there are around my daughters age or slightly younger (and they are STILL idiots )

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        Yea, that age period blows. When you do something wrong, you get treated like an adult. When it comes to making decisions, you get treated like a kid.

You know what birthday sucked? 22. It's when you realize counting is pointless.
                        cause after 25 you have really reached all of the "milestones" of ones younger life. HEY 14 YEAH HS YEAH 18 OUTTA HS but what can I do????? (OH yeah buy ciragettes) Yeah 21 I can drink (OK that was fun for a while) yeah 25 my insurance rates are goning down (well I guess that is true here in the US esp if you get married)

after I reached 30 I really stopped paying attention to the actual number.

40 was not that big a deal and now post 50 is meh whatever.

18 - 20 is real tough as I remember it.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Hah! The smoking age in NJ is 19! Can't even smoke at 18. Lotto, I guess? Can go to prison instead of juvie?

Comment

18 was a sort of milestone for me in that I could vote. After that, pretty much nothing. I don't smoke, don't drink (although 21 allowed me to stay at the venue while playing designated driver, and suck down free sodas), don't see R-rated movies (much)... I hit 40 later this year, and it's just another number that happens to have a 0 at the end. *shrug*

I like to think of my personality age as about 23. I like that number. It's a prime. It's also around the age most people guess about me when I'm online.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I remember those days. When I started at my current job, I was just a few months short of 21. I was the youngest one in my department. Back then, my coworkers frequently went to bars after work. One of the guys with broadcast capabilities would even send out a message announcing the after-work gatherings. People would always ask me, "You coming out with us after work?" And I'd have to tell them, "I can't. Not old enough."

Then on my 21st, a group of us finally got to go out to a bar together. Unfortunately, it seemed like immediately after that, everyone decided to start families and stopped going out to the bars.
                              --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Working...
                              X