The "inferiority" of America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ipecac Drano View Post
    So, you think that if America were to be smarter, it would be a country that spits on human rights and that its suicide rates would double?
    Do you honestly believe that is what was intended by the post you're quoting? Seriously?

I'm asking in all seriousness because I want to understand how someone gets, "if we were smarter, we'd become abusive and oppressive," from someone stating that, "this state abuses it's population in an effort to force their people to test better or face punishment."

^-.-^
    Last edited by Andara Bledin; 06-15-2011, 04:46 PM.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Not to mention that many of these tests are not a fair comparison. We typically have everyone participate and the other countries cherry pick to get better scores. So you're not really comparing apples to apples.

Now as for the fat and lazy American stereotype....I'll get to that one after I drive a block to my corner grocery store to get my ice cream and 64 slices of American cheese.

Comment

No, I never said that America would go to hell if we increased our knowledge. In fact, I think quite the opposite. What I'm against is the strict standards (straight A's or nothing) that are pushed there. Correct me if I'm wrong but those in Asian countries place a much higher emphasis on acheivement and less on the individual (collectivism). Therefore it's much more common for parents to disown their children for not living up to them, hence the higher suicide rates.

What annoys me is those who say that China has better acheivements and then blame American parents for caring too much about a childs self esteem and individual needs. Uh excuse me, but that stuff is important too. You have to think about what the kid wants too and can't plan their life (like they do in many Asian countries) Had I been raised by tiger parents, I would have killed myself for never living up.

Acheivement isn't bad, but it is at the expense of individualism.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          Do you honestly believe that is what was intended by the post you're quoting? Seriously?

I'm asking in all seriousness because I want to understand how someone gets, "if we were smarter, we'd become abusive and oppressive," from someone stating that, "this state abuses it's population in an effort to force their people to test better or face punishment."
          First of all I was asking him a question for him to follow up on, not forcing words into his mouth like you are wont to do. Secondly, where did he say, "this state abuses it's population in an effort to force their people to test better or face punishment."?

Let's take a closer look at what he had said, shall we?
          "Americans are fat, lazy, and stupid".

"America is behind other nations in industrial standards."

I hate to pull the politcally correct card, but there are ways to say that without sounding like an arrogant douche.

Even then, it still bothers me because this is usually used when comparing US to China. What I get from this is that they're saying we should be like China, a country where human rights are spat on and suicide rates are high thanks to high standards.
          I don't know about you, but when other people are saying that America is falling behind China and that Americans are "fat, lazy, and stupid", they sure aren't trying to link those achievements to those things Rage had mentioned.

Sorry, he said it.
          Last edited by Ipecac Drano; 06-15-2011, 05:19 PM.
          "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
          -- OMM 0000

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
            No, I never said that America would go to hell if we increased our knowledge.
            I understand you, now. I just wanted you to clarify.

In fact, I think quite the opposite. What I'm against is the strict standards (straight A's or nothing) that are pushed there.
            But it gets them ahead, doesn't it?

Correct me if I'm wrong but those in Asian countries place a much higher emphasis on acheivement and less on the individual (collectivism).
            It's kinda here and there.

Therefore it's much more common for parents to disown their children for not living up to them, hence the higher suicide rates.
            But don't you think that the problem isn't in the high test standards but with the attitudes of the parents? I know many American parents who do a lot of things both positive and negative to help/make their kids achieve more, but I've never seen one disown their kids for a B-.

What annoys me is those who say that China has better acheivements and then blame American parents for caring too much about a childs self esteem and individual needs. Uh excuse me, but that stuff is important too. You have to think about what the kid wants too and can't plan their life (like they do in many Asian countries) Had I been raised by tiger parents, I would have killed myself for never living up.
            I agree with you 100%! I think you might vent your rage (every pun intended!) toward the Tiger Parents of China (great movie title!) and not to those who vocally wish our kids were smarter and skinnier.

Acheivement isn't bad, but it is at the expense of individualism.
            Again, Chinese culture is to blame.
            "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
            -- OMM 0000

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              Would you prefer to live in a country where it's legal to kill someone for being gay and it's celebrated?
              I'm not comparing America to anyone else when I said that, I'm comparing what America claims it is to what we actually are.

And even comparing to other places on that front, we may be far from the worst, but that in no way makes us the best.
              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Well, who is the best, then? Seriously, I want to know.

And there isn't a country in the world who lives up to what they wish they were or what they see themselves being. I don't think there is even an individual person who has managed to pull that off. Our ideal self is always at odds with our human nature. If individuals can't achieve that completely, why is an entire country of millions of people a failure for failing to do what nobody can really do?

You don't fail when you fall short. You only really fail when you never make the attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                  Well, who is the best, then? Seriously, I want to know.
                  Canada. Because that's where I live.

Next question?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                    Would you prefer to live in a country where it's legal to kill someone for being gay and it's celebrated?
                    May not be legal, but there's plenty of places in the US where it's celebrated.
                    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Who cares? Just laugh at it and move on.

Incidentally, the only time I fling out the "Americans are fat, lazy and stupid" steretype is in response to Americans flinging out the "English people have rotten teeth/are posh twats/are polite" one. Fair's fair.
                      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                        May not be legal, but there's plenty of places in the US where it's celebrated.
                        I you are talking about violent, tiny minded assholes, I can assure you the US does not have a monopoly on them.

Comment

I only wish it did, then I would not have to put up with them in my place of work.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHKIMOgoJoU

Rapscallion
                            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Plaidman View Post
                              Indeed. Bill of rights and consitution had no bearing on African Americas. I still don't get how slavery even got fucking started with those two in effect. Oh wait, the goverment will twist and change anything to suit it's need.

Slavery was already well established by the time the Bill of Rights & the Constitution were written.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Star View Post
                                Slavery was already well established by the time the Bill of Rights & the Constitution were written.
                                Yeah; black on black slavery had been happening for centuries before evil whitey muscled in on the act.

Comment

Working...
                                X