Different High School thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different High School thread

this is not about getting abused or teased or set on fire in HS but this situation (esp since I am coming up on 35th year since HS) pops up on occasion

first off I am NOT into all of the social media type sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Myspace, etc. just not my thing. there are just not that many people that I want to stay in touch with that bad (esp from HS).

I am not some old fudydudy "Get off my lawn you meddling kids" type nor am I a Ludite to any extent (I used to play lots with computers). the one school related site I am on is Classmates (or whatever they are calling themselves now) but am not active for the most part. I really do not keep up with the "class goings on" except to find out if they are formally planning a 35th reunion (the 30th was REALLY lame and I couldn't go anyway). through Classsmates one can contact (via classmates or their posted e-mail addy)

I only keep in touch with maybe 3 people and that is spotty at best.

Last night I open my e-mail program and there is a message inviting me to join someones professional network via LinkedIn. now in HS I knew this person but was not a friend nor did we really turn in the same "social circles". i believe the last time I had ANY kind of contact with this person was when they sent out a mass e-mail about the 30th reunion 3 years ago. and before that was most likely IN HS.

this is NOT the first time this sort of thing has happened. I think it was about 5 years after HS and I was still living at home with my parents. I received a letter in the postal mail from AM Enterprises. it was some proposial for a business (think Amway). the body said something about a great business oppurtunity and there was a "meeting" schedule at some hotel in 3 weeks time. the letter was signed by Ann Mills of AM Enterprises (not her real name). now that name sounded familiar but I could not place it. so I called the hotel to get some more information. the hotel claimed they knew nothing about this supposed meeting. I then call the number on the letter and get Ann. I then recognize the name as a person I went to HS with. she stated she was "thinking" about doing a meeting for some Amway type company.

as time has progressed throughout the years these type of "contacts" find their way to me.

why oh why after almost 35 years of NO contact no friendship no nothing do they want to contact me. leave me alone I am just fine.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
    why oh why after almost 35 years of NO contact no friendship no nothing do they want to contact me. leave me alone I am just fine.
    Because you might have something or some contacts they want, and vice versa.

Social networking over the age of 30 isn't about friendships, it's about business contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
      Social networking over the age of 30 isn't about friendships, it's about business contacts.
      I think you're right, but it can be about friendships as well. My parents (in their late 50's/early 60's), use Facebook to keep in touch with old friends, share grandkid pictures, plan reunions, etc. They're planning my 10 year reunion, and the class president has been asking anybody and everybody for the contact info of a few classmates who have fallen off the virtual map.

Comment

Facebook is actually incredibly useful for keeping in touch with family and people you actually care to keep in contact with.

And LinkedIn is a valuable networking site.

More and more HR departments are looking at Facebook and LinkedIn and other social sites to get a feel for prospective employees, so the more connections a person has will likely make things that much easier for them.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
        X