frustrated with family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frustrated with family

*I know some of this might make me sound like a whiney teenager, but it's really the only negative thing I have regarding living at home again*

Without getting into great detail - family members would occasionally complain about a "bad smell" in my apartment, and while some of that was due to my eldest cat's litterbox problem, there was also apparently some kind of "sickly sweet/pineapple-like" scent. I could NOT smell whatever it was, nobody was ever able to identify the cause, and I would get really frustrated when someone would fuss about it.

Anyhow, my mom frequently comments/complains that this same "bad smell" is in my bedroom at her house, and it's frustrating for the following reasons:

- She doesn't seem to understand that I CANNOT smell whatever the odor is, and unless she (or someone else) can figure out what might be causing it, saying something to me doesn't do much good.

- I'm expected not to be offended, and react with something like "OMG.......thank you sooo much for telling me!!" However, if I were to bring up some of the......odor-related issues she sometimes has, my mom has been known to get really bent out of shape and refused to do anything towards correcting the problem.

Unfortunately, most parents can't ever quite get over the fact that you aren't still a child, and there will almost never be equality. My mom is awesome, but she still has a few things where she treats me like a child and doesn't see why I would have a problem when I point it out.

As for the smell, you could try asking your doctor the next time you visit. It's quite possible that it's a body thing that isn't that notable when fresh, but when lingering in things like your laundry hamper could get more notable and less pleasant, but since it's your smell, it won't be something you are actually capable of smelling due to how the nose works.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Something else to consider is your body spray/deoderant/shampoo/body wash. I consider my honey body wash a very mild scent, but once in a great while somebody will comment how nice it smells. Since it's my own body, I don't even smell it after the initial scrub. Just thought I'd offer another point of view.

Comment

Another thing to consider is how whatever scents you wear are affected by your own body chemistry.

My mother and youngest aunt stick with Chanel No. 5 because they know it will still smell nice half an hour later, while the vast majority of other perfumes and the like start to smell rancid. I, on the other hand, can't use Chanel No. 5 because it smells like cat piss on me, while some of the cheapest crap on the market ends up being lovely. *shrug*

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Unfortunately, most parents can't ever quite get over the fact that you aren't still a child, and there will almost never be equality. My mom is awesome, but she still has a few things where she treats me like a child and doesn't see why I would have a problem when I point it out.
          My dad gets like that sometimes when I'm driving; talking as if he's still teaching me how, even though my license will be old enough to buy itself a drink in a couple months and my only accident that was my fault was over 16 years ago. Reminding me of a turn coming up is one thing, as I tend to navigate out of habit, so to speak... but I don't need to be told not to run into a wall when parking or how to change lanes.

In fairness, he's done a lot less of it since I pointed out that I've been driving every day without help for more than half my life and pretty well had the hang of it by now, in almost exactly those words.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            . I, on the other hand, can't use Chanel No. 5 because it smells like cat piss on me, while some of the cheapest crap on the market ends up being lovely. *shrug*

^-.-^
            This ^
            I was called ungrateful once for politely refusing a gift of that perfume for that very reason
            Sometimes wonder what they would have said if I'd have accepted it with smiles, poured it down the sink & made excuses everytime the person asked my why I wasnt wearing it

Comment

^ You could have just graciously accepted the gift and then quietly re-gifted it to someone else at a later date.

Back to the point, though - I've had some success in tracking down bizarre odors in the past. You'll have to be systematic about it. Pull everything you own out of the room one at a time and have your family see if that's what it is.

I can't imagine that the odor is you or any tolietries you use. I'd think it would be noticeable in places other than just your bedroom in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                I can't imagine that the odor is you or any tolietries you use. I'd think it would be noticeable in places other than just your bedroom in that case.
                Not really. If she spends most of her time in her bedroom and her apartment and it's coming from something she's wearing or whatever, it'd make the most sense that is where it's smelled the most.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  Not really. If she spends most of her time in her bedroom and her apartment and it's coming from something she's wearing or whatever, it'd make the most sense that is where it's smelled the most.
                  Just to clear up any confusion I might have caused - the apartment "smell" was mainly from my eldest cat having certain spots where she preferred to urinate, and because of my apartment's location in the complex, it was an extra challenge getting the carpet cleaned.

As for the "pineapple scent", the only things I can think of are that it might've been a candle or lotion I was using......my mom says she hasn't smelled it in a long time, and I've asked her to say something when she does, so that we can figure out what is causing it.

Comment

Working...
                  X