making unneeded assumptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making unneeded assumptions

To get into the background info - there's a concert coming up this weekend which I'm wanting to attend, and it's one of those club shows where the main band goes onstage around midnight or so.

Where I have problems is with transportation - I'm not able to drive, the bus system doesn't run 24/7, and I don't always have someone who's willing/interested and available to go with me. And while I could get to the said club ok by bus, it's getting home that would be difficult......my only option would be a taxi.

Anyhow, what inspired this thread is that my mom is kind of pitching a fit about my wanting/needing to take a taxi at that time of night.........I tried to explain that I get frustrated with being unable to do things because I can't drive, and this doesn't automatically mean that I'm going to get raped, murdered,.....etc, if I'm out that late at night. I can understand her concern, but at the same time, I don't think she needs to be assuming something bad will automatically happen.

Now, I've gone with my sister and her husband to two previous shows at this club, and they haven't outright turned me down this time, so I'm hoping that they will be willing and able to go.

I"ve had to miss concerts I wanted to go to for that same reason....I could get there reasonably by bus but getting home would have been impossible and would have involved a 3 mile walk in a deserted dark area....no thanks. That's one time I would assume something bad would happen to me and I don't feel safe.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Well, if it was a venue on the other side of town, and one which I wasn't familiar with, I wouldn't bother.........just getting way depressed because it's hard for me to get out and do anythings, and I sometimes feel like I'm considered a mooch (this by family members) if I need transportation.

Comment

an update of sorts - it's turned out that I won't need to take a taxi after all.......my sister and her husband are going to a party in that area, and they offered to stop by the concert venue to pick me up on their way home. (timing should work)

What I'm kind of ticked off about is that when I'd mentioned the concert to my sister last weekend, she was vague about them having other plans, and it bugs me when people can't/won't be upfront about things.

Comment

Unless you make a habit of using gypsy cabs, I'd think a young woman would be safer using a cab service at night than any other kind of transportation.

Comment

I think much of it is because I probably have some degree of Asperger's Syndrome, and because I had various issues when I was younger, it's still sometimes assumed that I can't function like a "normal" person. Then too, it's hard to get my mom to understand that it's VERY rare for me to get noticed/approached by guys, so just because I don't expect this to happen doesn't mean I'm naive or ignorant.

Comment

Working...
            X