Working an unusual shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working an unusual shift

This is really minor, I know - but my work week starts on Saturdays. It's so frustrating on Fridays to have everyone on my FB page celebrating and carrying on because it's Friday.

I used to celebrate and carry on on Monday's (my Friday), but it's just not as fun.

I really don't know why I complain. I work so damned much overtime during the week, it's pretty much like I don't have any days off at all.

Bah! I'm a big crabby-ass today!

Most people I know don't celebrate the end of the work week on Fridays. Even my husband, who theoretically has a 9-5 weekday job, often goes in on the weekend.

Wednesday was my "Friday" this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
      Most people I know don't celebrate the end of the work week on Fridays. Even my husband, who theoretically has a 9-5 weekday job, often goes in on the weekend.

Wednesday was my "Friday" this week.
      I find myself wishing most of my peeps worked weird schedules like me. Most of my friends are 9-5'ers

Oh well, at least this week isn't the beginning of a 3 day long weekend for them like last Friday. I was *really* pouting like a big baby then!

Comment

Speaking only for myself, and I am unanimous in this...

I work about 50 hours in the typical week at my job. 5 days, Open-Close, which most days means an 11-hour day. And my "weekend" is usually Tuesday & Wednesday. So I know all too well what it's like.

Still, it beats being a "morning person" or an "early bird". I can't STAND those arrogant weirdos!
        "You guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"
        --Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

Originally posted by Jack T. Chance View Post

Still, it beats being a "morning person" or an "early bird". I can't STAND those arrogant weirdos!

They do really suck when you work that kind of job and they're up your ass the minute you open the doors. Especially when not yet caffeinated!

Comment

This week I've been covering for a different team than the one I normally work on, so I worked their schedule. Sun/Thu off 10a-630p was my schedule this week. It hurts having days split up like that. Yeah, my normal schedule is split, but it is a 4x10 schedule with Su/Tu/We off 10a-9p. At least that is a bit better. Still gotta listen to the people doing stuff on Saturdays, though. :P

Comment

Up until recently, I had been working Sun-Thurs 11 pm to 7 am, and I used to HATE people talking about "Sunday Funday", because Sunday was my Monday. I had to go back to going to sleep during the day to get ready for 5 more nights of work, for only a day and a half off of work to be "normal", which is hard to do anyway.

Now I'm Mon-Wed night/every other Thurs 6:30 pm to 6:30 am.

It's brutal, but I have more days off, guaranteed nowadays at least two FULL days off and most of a third, and every other week three full days off and part of a fourth. Well, most of a fourth.

And NO MORE SUNDAYS , yet anyway.

Comment

I know how you feel. My work week is Wednesday through Saturday nights. My normal shift is 6p to 6a, and I do a half shift on Wednesdays. So I never, ever have weekends free. If a concert is coming up, or a one-night-only showing at the theater, or whatever, invariably it's on a Friday or Saturday night. Which means if I want to go to something, I better really, REALLY want to go, in order to go through all the trouble of switching nights with the other night shift.

Comment

The thing I hated about an irregular work week was that the rest of the world still operates on the work week. And no one gave a crap. Not awake during normal business hours, tough shit. Not available for social functions until Tuesday afternoon? Tough shit.

Comment

I've been on a 3 week rota for the last 7 or so years mon-sun then mon/tue off, wed-tue then wed/thur off work fri sat/sun off, so I would always know when I had a semi long weekend and when I had a start of week one.
                    Now I only have to worry what time I start, this week I have mostly been 5am-1pm except from friday which was 11-7, today and tomorrow 5am so night clubs are out, weekends where I start at 11 I could if I want to go out later than last orders, I just rarely do.

For a few months I would text my rota to captain dickhead as he would always ask if I want to do xy or z on days when I am either still at work, or had to be up early the next day, just so he would have a handy note of what wasn't an option. I gave up on that idea as he invariably forgot, now hes working lates and finishes at 10 he sometimes asks if I fancy going into town for a drink and although the UK licencing laws changed to allow later opening hours, very few round here stay open late mid week so if I did meet up with him, we would be kicked out of a closing bar not so long after getting there, so I always ask him what the point is, or he still asks if I fancy a later opening bar knowing I have to be up and out of the house by half 4

Comment

Well I've got a mon thru fri 7 to 4 schedule and I'm an early bird by nature so pfffft

I like my schedule I couldn't handle a weird one.
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I've had my grunts and grumbles about having to be a night owl, but it's always been about the extra money for me, and also the fact, it seems to work out well anyway. I may be really tired and sometimes sleep through a lot of stuff, but I still seem to manage to see my family and friends. I couldn't think of a better time to get laundry out of the way than right after work on Friday morning.

Comment

If anyone on this planet had ever learned to respect my schedule, I'd love to be a night owl. But wives and girlfriends have never been good at understanding things like "I've just been at work for the past 12 hours" or "I'm tired" or "Even though you've been up all day, this is morning for me, so get the fuck out of my face before I smack you".
                          I don't know what's so hard about it. Let the poor fucker sleep! Don't come crying that you're lonely cuz you'be been by yourself for 2 whole hours.

Comment

My problem has been people refusing to accept that I am just plain TIRED all the time because of the shift I work. I do my absolute BEST to make plans during "normal" people times when I'm off of work. But I do get tired. Sometimes, I do nod off at a movie or just by relaxing too much in a chair. It's harder on me than it is for you to see me fall asleep. I feel like an ass because I cannot always be good company, unless we are out all night on "my" time.

Comment

Fridays and weekends don't mean squat to me. My days off vary from week to week, and they are not necessarily consecutive every week. The only times I get remotely excited are paydays and a day off work. I also hate the weekend warrior types who are excited about Fridays because they get to start their weekend. All I can say is "Big, freakin' deal!" I still have to work most Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Want me to share in the excitement? Come work the weekend for me so I can go have some fun for a change. The weekend warriors really suck!

Comment

Working...
                              X