Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am become Death, the destroyer of Threads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am become Death, the destroyer of Threads!

I love the Internet, and am a member on various forums and social media sites. I have no idea why, but for some reason, I seem to be uniquely gifted with the ability to end online conversations. I don't feel like I'm one of those people who interjects something offending or off-putting, and I generally stay on topic, so I don't think it's anything like that.

An example I can think of is that oftentimes on Facebook, when I post a status update about something, it will often go ignored or maybe receive a few comments. However, when someone with a similar number of friends to me posts the same thing, they will often get a much larger response.

Another example is on forums like this one or over on CS. A look through my posting history on some forums shows that many of my posts are the last posts of a thread, usually when they are my first posts in the thread. Other times, my post won't end the thread, but will just get lost in the glut.

I really have no idea why this happens with such frequency across different sites. It's very frustrating, to the point where I feel like I shouldn't even bother to comment if it's going to be ignored. Does anyone else have similar experiences? If anyone reads this, I mean

It happens a lot. For me, it's often the case that I found the thread late, and so everybody else was already done with it.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

While it does bother me when it happens to me a lot, there are days where I take a sick satisfaction in it.

Comment

It happens to me too... at least I'm not alone

Comment

I believe we had a thread like this one at CS some years ago.

ETA Here it is.

You are certainly not alone. I think the answer is that you read the boards once a day or less. As Hyhybt say the threads will die after some time. If you post late, the chance is greater that the thread is dying already.
          Last edited by Mikkel; 07-16-2011, 05:17 PM.

Comment

When this happens to me, I just figure that I must have said something that so completely covered the topic that there's just nothing left for anybody else to add.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've felt this way a lot throughout my years on various message boards and social networks. I know that I'm not very good at social interaction in the 'real world', and perhaps that's tainted my confidence in the online world as well. And it has a cycle effect like so many other things. I feel like I'm saying nothing that people care about, due to lack of responses or what-have-you, so I begin posting less, which makes me drift away from those on the board/social network, so then when I do say things less people pay attention or know who I am because I'm no longer all that vocal, and the cycle circles

At least I'm not the only one who feels this way, I suppose.

Comment

If you ever feel like that again just remember, I'm the one that almost killed the thread about killing threads. That's a tough one to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                  If you ever feel like that again just remember, I'm the one that almost killed the thread about killing threads. That's a tough one to beat.
                  that is meta
                  Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                    Hey, remember I saved you .

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                      When this happens to me, I just figure that I must have said something that so completely covered the topic that there's just nothing left for anybody else to add. ^-.-^
                      I've read your posts, and this is actually true.

Comment

on an off note you can use this power to end bad or annoying threads? hehe sorry i know its a bad and self confidence breaking thing but in some ways it can be used for good.
                        Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                        Yeah we're so over, over
                        Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

This happens to me, too. So much I start to wonder if everyone's whispering behind my back about the poor, deluded girl.
                          "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Originally posted by LexiaFira View Post
                            on an off note you can use this power to end bad or annoying threads? hehe sorry i know its a bad and self confidence breaking thing but in some ways it can be used for good.
                            It's one of those powers that doesn't work if you try to use it deliberately.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Well so far this thread isn't ending So you have a good one!
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X