Not having seen a movie = blasphemy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not having seen a movie = blasphemy

At least according to some people. When you say you've never seen a certain movie, they will act all shocked and say "You mean you've NEVER seen it?!". As if you're somehow required to see the movie whether you're interested or not.

For example, I've never seen the movie Fight Club, nor do I have much of a desire to. Appartently, this makes me some outcast for having never seen it. I watched the X men movie, but not Fight Club? It can't be because *gasp* I'm actually more interested in X men, can it?

I get it, my tastes are not "High Brow" but you know what? I don't give a fuck. I'm not gonna force myself to be interested in something just because it's considered cool to be. And when I have it shoved in my face how great or important a movie is to our culture, I'm gonna be even less inclined to see it.

How have you not seen Fight Club? That's like saying you've never seen Pulp Fiction or Saving Private Ryan.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I used to get the *gasp* about the Harry Potter books, which I have yet to read. I still get bug-eyes about some "classic" movies that I've never seen. Other things I get a look for are uber-popular shows like Lost, American Idol, etc. Sorry, don't watch it.

Comment

I've never seen Saving Private Ryan.

And I've only seen Fight Club because my brother happened to be watching it when I wandered into the main room for something and I discovered that the trailers were totally misleading and it was far more interesting than they led me to believe.

On the classic movie front, I've actually owned Casablanca and still never gotten around to actually watching it.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          How have you not seen Fight Club? That's like saying you've never seen Pulp Fiction or Saving Private Ryan.
          Haven't seen those either. (well except I've seen parts of Pulp Fiction on youtube. Tarantino movies have always looked interesting to me)

Comment

I only got around to seeing the Star Wars movies a few years ago. They were lousy. I guess they'd have had more impact on audiences 25 or so years ago, or if I'd seen them as a child.

The Godfather I saw for the first time just a few months ago. That one I enjoyed.

I've never read the Harry Potter books nor seen the films. I don't plan to do so, since I don't expect them to interest me.

The thing is, I don't particularly care if people find any of that shocking. I think it's safe to assume that most people have seen Star Wars at one point in their lives, but it's hardly scandalous to have not.

Comment

I've never seen Saving Private Ryan, and I've only seen about the first half hour of Pulp Fiction - just enough to realize that I didn't care if I ever saw the rest of it.

I've gotten that shocked look quite a bit myself. I have friends who are huge movie buffs who get surprised a lot at all the movies I haven't seen. Hell, I just watched Psycho for the first time within the past month. I loved it, like I thought I would, because I adore Hitchcock, but I had never gotten around to watching it before this. I rented it once in college, but talked myself out of watching it because I was worried I would never be able to take a shower in the communal dorm bathrooms again

A lot of movies that are considered classics I have yet to see. There are many that I am interested in watching, but I have to be in the right mood to want to sit down and watch a movie, and I haven't been in that mood lately. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by ExRetailDrone View Post
                A lot of movies that are considered classics I have yet to see. There are many that I am interested in watching, but I have to be in the right mood to want to sit down and watch a movie, and I haven't been in that mood lately. *shrug*
                That too. A lot of the time I don't want to sit down and watch something, especially if the movie is well over 2 hours long (which is why I never cared for LOTR movies. Too damn long). Even if I am in the mood, it has to be something I'm interested in and not something that feels like a homework assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by ExRetailDrone View Post
                  I've only seen about the first half hour of Pulp Fiction - just enough to realize that I didn't care if I ever saw the rest of it.
                  If I may....If you get the chance, please give it a second chance. Hell, you can even skip past the first 'chapter' (the one everyone thinks about when they think about Pulp Fiction), and watch the second part with Bruce Willis and Ving Rhames. Much, much better. Not...for the weak-stomached though.

I actually get the opposite from Fiance. He loves those crappy comedies...things like Stepbrothers or Hangover. He really wanted to go see Hangover 2....I told him to watch the first one again and pretend it was Thailand instead of Vegas. Bad enough that he made me watch the first one; I wasn't spending any money to see the same damn movie over again, but with a monkey. One day he made some inside joke to his brother and I gave him a confused look. Next thing I know, I'm watching Super Troopers. Maybe it's funny if you're stoned, but sober? Lame. Stupid. Not. Funny. But he's always like, "Oh you've never seen Starship Troopers??? We have to watch it!!! It has Gary Busey!!!" So does Lethal Weapon, but it also has naked Mel Gibson before he went crazy and flabby.

I'm rarely in the mood to sit down and watch a movie, so when I am, I want it to be something I know I'll enjoy. For example, this weekend we watched Red. Full of actors that I like (Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Mary Louise Parker, Brian Cox, et al.), comedic and action-packed. Not the 'best' movie I've ever seen, but an enjoyable two hours. I also like to watch the same movies over and over again...been a while since I've done that, though.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                    It has Gary Busey!!!"

actually that would be Jake Busey, Gary's son in starship troopers.

and I have never watched the batman with michael keaton. I saw batman returns, and batman begins/the dark night. But I got so disgusted with all the hype around Batman, that I have never been interested in seeing it, plus I'm not a real big Tim Burton fan(I liked corpse bride, and legend of sleepy hollow, but that's it-hated nightmare before christmas and 9)

I've also never had any desire to watch "the big lebowski"

Though I did get on a friend of mine for never having watched Blazing Saddles,"because it's a western"-he had no idea it was Mel Brooks, whom he loves his films....
                    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                      I only got around to seeing the Star Wars movies a few years ago. They were lousy. I guess they'd have had more impact on audiences 25 or so years ago, or if I'd seen them as a child.
                      A lot of people have that reaction to the moviesThey either love them or hate them.

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                      I've never read the Harry Potter books nor seen the films. I don't plan to do so, since I don't expect them to interest me.
                      I didn't either, then I bought the first couple of books out of boredom and a slight curiosity about what all the hype was about when the 4th book came out (I'd never even heard of them) and was pleasantly surprised.
                      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

When I hear about some movies that people haven't seen, I'm shocked but I don't treat it as if it is some sort of blasphemy. Now there is this guy at work that is the opposite. He mentioned "So I murdered an Axe Murderer", I never saw it because I don't particularly care for MIke Myers. He let me borrow and I fell asleep watching it. Never attempted to watch it again. HE still brings that up.

Comment

I think it can be surprising if someone's never seen a movie that's become as much a part of the popular zeitgeist, if that's the word.
                          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I'm like that about a lot of things actually.

Books, Television shows, Movies, Podcasts, Political shows on the radio or 'net broadcast, musicians...

I've tried them all. Liked some, hated others. It's the way that it is the world. We are all unique people with unique tastes, likes and dislikes.

Really wish these "OHMYFUCKINGGAWDYOUHAVEGOTTO[read/watch/listen]TOTHISORYOUAREANIDIOT!" people would go and leave us alone.

A great example is the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I've had people all but shoving this book up my nose trying to get me to read it. IT got to the point where I refused to read it out of spite for the people trying to force me to read it.

Then, really bored one day (many years later) and I tried to read the series. Bought Book One and just couldn't get interested in it. The author's style was not one that I liked and it was totally not gripping me. I'm in a state of non-grippedness, I am completely smegging ungripped.

Sorry, couldn't resist the Red Dwarf-ism.

But the fact was when it came down to it I couldn't read past the first third of the book before I just put it down and never picked up since.

But people still look at me like I am committing a sin by not reading something that they consider to be the greatest book written since the Bible or something.

Now one friend of mine, he's really vocal about it. Claiming that I am one of the "Great Unwashed and Uneducated Masses" for not having the ability to see the greatness in Jordan's works. Yet as soon as I mention one of MY favorite authors and his work (John DeChancie's Starrigger Trilogy)...I get "Oh my GAWD! How can you read that drivel.

I can understand that some may like the Wheel of Time series. I can understand how some may not like Starrigger. But I don't have a freakout when someone says that they don't like it.

That is as long as they don't call ME a twat for liking it.

In your case and the aforementioned "Fight Club" I will say that the movie is far better than the trailers make it out to be and if you can get past the hype of all the drooling fanboys, you might actually find yourself enjoying it. I might even suggest that if it is on Netflix or in the $5 dollar bin at Walmart you might want to fire it up if you can't find anything else to watch.

But if you come back and tell me that you were "Completely smegging ungripped", then I'll change the subject and move on. I won't even think any different of you for not trying Fight Club.

That's the proper way to suggest something. But as you say, there are far too many people out there who are so mental about their favorite films that they do more to drive people away from the [media] than get people to it.
                            “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                              But the fact was when it came down to it I couldn't read past the first third of the book before I just put it down and never picked up since.
                              That's me and Little Women. I started that book three different times in an attempt to read it. I decided that if I was so unengaged that I would rather make up rambling story bits in my head than read it, it just wasn't meant to be.

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                              Yet as soon as I mention one of MY favorite authors and his work (John DeChancie's Starrigger Trilogy)...I get "Oh my GAWD! How can you read that drivel.
                              There has got to be some sort of irony in a Jordan fan calling DeChancie a writer of drivel...

I'm not so hot on the Starrigger series, but I remember waiting for the Castle books to come to paperback.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X