Inconsistent People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent People

One thing I have very little tolerance for - INCONSISTENCY. I often don't care what someone's beliefs are, but when they're not consistent with them, I just want to strangle them.

If you hate blacks, I don't care. Go ahead and hate blacks. But then don't start hanging around with this one special black guy and still acting like you hate blacks.

if you're a boss and you don't tolerate tardiness, you need to write up EVERYONE who is late. Not just the one who pissed you off that day.

If you're gonna be a hard-nosed stupid religious nut, you need to either embrace your religion - even when it sucks - or don't. Yeah, that same religion that says I gotta give you money also says you have to burn your nipples off. So if you're gonna do A you gotta do B, or none at all and be a complete douche.

STICK WITH IT PEOPLE!

Nobody is perfectly consistent. Some do at least try; but then, some others have unreasonable expectations of what consistency means, too
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Not only do some have unreasonable expectations of perfect consistency, but some want you to be consistent to their expectation of what you're adhering to, which may or may not bear any resemblance to what you're actually practicing.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

He's got a good point about racism, though.

I know a guy who's always making remarks about East Indians, and doesn't seem to acknowledge that the East Indians he knows personally, he likes.

So he basically maintains that all East Indians are a certain way, with the exception of all the East Indians he actually knows.

Racism is an inherently inconsistent viewpoint.

Comment

I'm going to get a bit nerdy here.

The inconsistent responses with racism have a psychosocial basis. People tend to be more stereotypical and judgmental of those that they are not close to and more tolerant of those people that they know personally.

I have read interviews in which a person was called out on this inconsistency and responded "but he's not black...he's my friend!" as if being a friend changes a person's skin color.

I cannot comprehend how people can stand behind stereotyped beliefs when they have concrete proof in the form of personal relationships that contradict the very stereotype that they are defending.

Comment

Oh I know all the reasons why someone might act in a stupid way, but I don't see it as a valid excuse. People should be more aware of their stupidity and try to better humanity as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Glados View Post
              I cannot comprehend how people can stand behind stereotyped beliefs when they have concrete proof in the form of personal relationships that contradict the very stereotype that they are defending.
              Monkeysphere.

People they know are judged entirely differently than people that they don't know. Everybody inside the monkeysphere are "people" and everybody outside are just stereotypes. Our brains are wired in such a way that we can only care about a finite number of other people and once we get beyond that number, we can't really think of the overflow except in the abstract.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I have read interviews in which a person was called out on this inconsistency and responded "but he's not black...he's my friend!" as if being a friend changes a person's skin color.
                Or the reverse: "I'm not bigoted, I have x friends!"
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                X