Heat Wave.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Wave.

I'd never thought I'd start a thread on this, but I'm sick of this goddamn heat that's sweaping through the midwest. It's been bad enough in the mid to upper 90s most of this week (with a heat index in the 100s), but today it's supposed to get up to 100 (with a 112 heat index!).

I'd like to be able to enjoy the weather, but when it's too hot to do anything outside (aside from swimming which I have no pool), that's not possible.

It's miserable all right. They're doing a lot of work on the outside of my 4-plex building, trimming trees, picking up limbs and debris, washing off and painting the outside of the building, etc. I feel so sorry for the guys doing the work (they're all really nice and friendly). At least the ladylady has opened up one of the empty apartments for them so they have a place to go to cool off. We've had highs around/over 100 F for the past few weeks...and that will probably continue until September. Ugh.

Then, maybe 4-6 weeks of decent fall weather before we go into the deep freeze until April. Seriously, why do people live here?

Comment

We're getting close to it over here. Thank god for the ocean.
      The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Comment

My recent experiences have given me a new perspective on heat. It was 110 every day when I left to go home for break. This really doesn't feel close to as horrid as people seem to be bitching about in my area.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          My recent experiences have given me a new perspective on heat. It was 110 every day when I left to go home for break. This really doesn't feel close to as horrid as people seem to be bitching about in my area.
          yeah what's the humidity at? I'm guessing around 20%.

Here it's about 70-80%(has been over 90% this past week) which means you don't sweat, and can't cool down by having your sweat evaporate. Hence the high heat index.
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
            yeah what's the humidity at? I'm guessing around 20%.

Here it's about 70-80%(has been over 90% this past week) which means you don't sweat, and can't cool down by having your sweat evaporate. Hence the high heat index.
            Yea, but the heat index in the majority of the country is still lower than what it was without humidity back there.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Great, now my AC is out.

Fuck this weather and anyone who thinks this excessive heat is "great".

Comment

It's the same in the Northeast as well. Spring was barely there, and it just went right into brutal summer.

I live in an apartment complex on the upper floors. Naturally, since heat rises, it's warm up here all the time (I didn't turn my A/C off last year until OCTOBER, and only had to use the heat for a whole 36 hours all winter), and right now, it's Hell on Earth. In my bedroom, where the A/C unity is, it's hot but bearable enough. The living room though being next to the bedroom with the doors next to each other (and thus, no easy way to get the A/C air in here), is NASTY. It also doesn't help my living room window is MASSIVE (it's like 5 feet wide and over 5 feet tall), and the shade doesn't go down the last 8 inches, so I get sunlight heating up the room further.

It's a VERY good thing I get all utilities included in my rent, otherwise I'd be running up a massive bill from my A/C. Also very fortunate to work overnight, so I have no need to go out in the daylight for anything when it's too hot.

Comment

Over the winter when we were having that deep freeze, I made it a point to bring my lunch to work on most days so I wouldn't have to go out in the cold. Over this past week, I've been doing the same thing so I wouldn't have to go out in the heat. Especially yesterday when the heat index was 110 degrees. I did go out to lunch today, though. I pretty much had to. I was experiencing some really strong Chipotle withdraws. It wasn't that bad, either (the weather). It was pretty hot, but there was a cloud cover. My car's thermometer read 100 degrees.

Over these past couple of years, the summer heat has not bothered me as much as it used to. I've started getting cold much more easily in the winter, and during the summer, the heat doesn't get to me as badly as in past years (though this heat we're having now is getting under my skin). One of the medical instructors at work told me that people tend to get cold more easily when they get older, so maybe that's it. However, I suspect that my weight loss over the past couple of years has a little to do with it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                    Fuck this weather and anyone who thinks this excessive heat is "great".
                    Some people like superhot weather?

I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona and couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. I saw it hit 122 F (that's about 50 C), that was downright brutal. I'm living in the beautiful cool green Pacific Northwest now, and no, I sure don't miss the heat at all.

While I can go outside and be quite comfortable now, it won't be the same story six months from now. I think we can all agree that temperature extremes suck.
                    People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                    If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Originally posted by XCashier View Post
                      Some people like superhot weather?
                      Yeah, some people like this whether. Granted, it doesn't get that hot up here often (it's usually too cold), but I don't see what's great about having several straight days of 100+ heat index followed by actual 100 degree weather. It's cooled down some so the heat wave is over, but there's still no AC...

Comment

I'm not allowed to complain, because I made a deal with the Devil (Mother Nature) that if she made winter end, I'd never complain no matter how hot it got.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                          I'm not allowed to complain, because I made a deal with the Devil (Mother Nature) that if she made winter end, I'd never complain no matter how hot it got.
                          Send cold to Afghanistan. It'd be welcomed with open arms.

Comment

The Midwest and East coast are getting hit hard right now. There is a lot of people who are in danger because of the heat and this is really only the beginning of summer too.
                            "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Power went out for about 20 minutes last night. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X