Points, Protein, and Fat, Oh My!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Points, Protein, and Fat, Oh My!

I have a few coworkers who are really into Weight Watchers. And honestly, I am really proud of them. One of them has lost well over 50 pounds. She looks younger, feels younger, and she is pretty much a new woman.

Now, I understand we've had similar threads, but I don't think we've touched on the value of the "points" system as much before. Usually when you're very active with WW, you get a booklet that has almost every single type of food (and restaurants and fast food joints) and it shows how many "points" are in a certain portion, it even goes into detail if you go to, say, Subway, and add this or that or the other thing.

It kind of irks me a little if I bring ravioli to work for break, and someone tells me "Did you know that big of a portion is probably half of your points for a day?"

Or when I say I had McDonalds on Friday afternoon after work (which is my weekly treat, I have always considered it a nice, greasy treat after a hard long week. Although sometimes it's Arbys or Culvers or whatever) and I get the, "Did you know there's 38 points in a Big Mac meal? That one meal is more than your daily value of points!"

I can't live my life and food schedule on a points system. I am proud of those who watch what they eat and have made healthy choices. And God knows, I really could give up MacDo and eat more veggies. But it's a treat for me.

Another big thing is soda. Yes, I KNOW it's bad. I know that one 20 oz Coke is almost a day's worth of carbs. But no one realizes that amongst that Coke, I've probably drank 2 bottles of water BEFORE work, 2 bottles of water worth of cups of water at the bubbler, and probably will drink another bottle or two's worth before I go home? Not to mention I ABHOR diet soda. I think it tastes like shit.

And nothing hits the spot for me like a nice cold Coca Cola. It's not like I overdo it. A 24 pack of cans at home lasts me 24 days. I can have one every day with supper or meal of my choice.

It seems people tend to forget that some people are more active than others. While my new work schedule has really cut down on my gym time, I have started watching what I eat outside of work better, because I can't go to the gym every day anymore. I still walk the dog in lieu of it, or when I get home, use my dumbbells and do as many lifts and presses as I can.

I'm also getting some flack from people for my new love of smoothies. I just got a blender a couple of weeks ago. I've always indulged every once in a while in a protein smoothie at the gym, until I got the recipe and started making them at home as a post-work out treat. And, it's so filling, it's almost two meals. Protein is a fabulous thing to keep you full.

I keep getting told that I'm going to bulk up and start looking like a man if I keep up with the protein. Er, no. Protein does not make a woman bulk up, unless she is taking specific weight gain protein, testosterone, and is lifting heavy weights every day. It's HARD for a woman to make herself like Arnold. And there's no way that's happening to me.

I've lost a few pounds since breaking up with my ex, and all of this protein is making me tighten up and my clothes are fitting better. I'm sure it's not the healthiest thing to be drinking meals, but I feel it's the same as a person on Slim Fast or Weight Watchers shakes, where you replace certain meals with a shake. I add pretty much anything you can imagine to the smoothies, and it's like breakfast with bananas, peanut butter, yogurt, berries, whatever.

In general, there seems to be some stigma about women weight lifting. It's not like I am some giant pro Betty lifting 300 pounds and taking testosterone shots in my ass and grunting loudly and pounding my chest. I am still a woman. And weight lifting is EXCELLENT exercise if you are trying to tighten up. It also is RECOMMENDED for bone support. My doctor even told me that the reason the Depo Provera shot didn't affect my bones the way it does for most girls is because I exercise and lift weights.

I like a good walk on the treadmill or a good spin on the elliptical, but I prefer lifting weights. I get better results and feel like I accomplish more by lifting weights. I don't think I look manly or am making myself look silly at all.

If a BigMac meal is their entire "day's worth" of points, they aren't exercising enough. What, do these people just sit around on their asses all day, counting points and letting their muscles atrophy?

I need to eat at least 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight. That's about TWO BigMac meals (although I rarely eat that shit). And I weigh 120 lbs. I'm not a large person, I'm just active.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
      If a BigMac meal is their entire "day's worth" of points, they aren't exercising enough. What, do these people just sit around on their asses all day, counting points and letting their muscles atrophy?

I need to eat at least 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight. That's about TWO BigMac meals (although I rarely eat that shit). And I weigh 120 lbs. I'm not a large person, I'm just active.
      The points system is based off your gender, your current weight, and how active you are. Being active adds a few points.

As for the protein shake for a meal...don't sweat it. A ton of us do it out in Afghanistan all the time. Funny enough, a lot of us have been losing fat and shaping up. And we aren't malnourished.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I believe Weight Watchers analyzes everyone's daily "point system" according to weight, height, activity levels, and goals and whatnot. This particular coworker is allowed 30 per day.

And I equate my protein smoothies the same way people on diets use shakes and smoothies and meal replacement bars.

I don't calorie count or really care, but I'm sure I probably put in 50 or more points a day. And with how much I exercise, I probably NEED that many points and calories.

As of this afternoon, I'm down to 145 pounds. Go me!

Comment

In this kind of situation I just respond with something along the lines of

it may be half of YOUR points, It is nowhere near half of MY points.

It suffices

Comment

WW is a great system and really works, but it is very hard to constantly count daily points and be thinking of the point content every time you go to eat some food.

I'm not sure, but I am pretty sure that Curves has a protein only diet?

Comment

I'd have to ask my mom. I don't go to Curves, but I know she may still have a membership.

I know you can buy specific WW foods from their stores, but their booklets are a guide for at home foods and restaurants, because not everyone can afford WW foods.

Comment

There are a tonne of WW ready meals at Sainsbury's and Tesco's but I've not looked at the prices, I if I'm going the ready meal route buy the own brand multibuy meals, these all vary as to what I might manage to liberate from the mass pile up I call staff lunch where we serve up spare stock*.

I need to put on weight, but those meals don't suffice and seeing as some people see the shared fridge = shared food, I've never, not for 5 years now, had individual ingreedients to make my own meal, hell I've forgotten how to use an oven due to this, not that I was that good at cooking anyway.

WW probably would work the other way but most see it as a weight loss system and most products these days are reduced fat low sugar all the 'good' stuff taken out, stuff I might need to gain weight without eating a block of lard (not that I would).

*We make ready meal type meals, but not the compartmentalized variety, individual pies in the shop like fish pie cottage pie etc, they are kinda the same, everything else is in its own box.
                Our portion sizes are a bit off if you ask me, one box of mash potato is to serve 8 but I feel 5 at the most if you want a real sized portion on your plate.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                  I believe Weight Watchers analyzes everyone's daily "point system" according to weight, height, activity levels, and goals and whatnot. This particular coworker is allowed 30 per day.
                  That was my point. If her total points allotment means she can only eat the caloric equivalent of a Big Mac meal once a day (which amounts to 1000-1300 calories depending on the size of fries and drink), she must be extraordinarily sedentary. If she were even slightly active, she'd need more than that just to keep her heart pumping blood.

For the average adult who moves around a fair bit, 1300 calories a day is far too restrictive. I do not believe that Weight Watchers is that draconian. It seems like a fairly decent program to me.

Of course, I've also been told that fruits and vegetables have no points value assigned in the WW program, which encourages people to fill up on them. If that's the case, I suppose someone could easily eat another 500 calories in fruits and veggies in a day.

Comment

Not to mention that WW also has "weekly points" as well as "daily points." If someone gets 30 "daily points" they probably get that many or more "weekly points" as well, which can be used however they want. If that person goes over a bit every day and eats 35 points instead of 30, the extra 5 just comes out of their weekly points every day. Or (more commonly) people will use their weeklies to splurge once a week on a nice meal, so if they eat 40 or 50 points in a day, it's not supposed to be a big deal as long as it's not every day.

So basically, when blas eats out at McD's or wherever once a week as a treat, she's doing exactly what WW is designed to do -- allow people to splurge once a week on a meal of their choice.

Who the hell ever asked these people for their opinion, anyway? They need to get off their high horses and mind their own damn business.

Comment

I'm on Weight Watchers and it has worked for me. I think the issue here is that people who are on WW are telling others what to eat and not eat. When they do that it is an insult to others choice on what they eat. Some people who are on WW are not ready for the commitment or they are mad that they cannot eat the same way the use to. So to compensate for their misery they try to make others miserable with their food choices. To them, seeing you with a Big Mac is like you waving stick of rock candy in front of a recently diagnosed diabetic with a sweet tooth.

WW also has activity points that a person gets when they work out. They can eat those points too. There are some people that have to eat there dalies, weeklies, and activity points to loose. Weeklies can be used for only one event such as a wedding or everyday so you don't feel like you are restricting yourself as much. It's your choice on what you eat.
                      "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

I have multiple coworkers on the WW program. The first woman is more like a mother type to me and she actually doesn't preach to me or anything, it's the others who do. She just answers my questions and I'm really proud of how well she's done. She looks so much different than when I first met her at work two years ago.

Comment

Screw the point system and calorie counting! Just eat moderate portions of food and exercise. Simple as that. IMO.
                          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                            It kind of irks me a little if I bring ravioli to work for break, and someone tells me "Did you know that big of a portion is probably half of your points for a day?"<snip>"Did you know there's 38 points in a Big Mac meal? That one meal is more than your daily value of points!"
                            "no it's more than your points, I don't have points because I'm not in WW, please keep your food guilt to yourself, if i wanted to join I would, however insulting my food choices when you know very little about my lifestyle, is not a good representation/endorsement of the program."
                            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I'm guessing that they don't get the concept that their points allowance would also be lower if they're trying to loose weight than someone who is more active and only maintaining weight?
                              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X