IF I like One Thing I must Hate the Other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF I like One Thing I must Hate the Other

Something I have noticed in my years on the internet is how people like to group themselves into certain categories. Two of my biggest loves are Pink Floyd and Star Wars. Per the rules of the Internet, I must hate Star Trek and either Roger Waters or David Gilmour. I don't hate STar Trek but I just happen to like Star Wars more. And with Waters and Gilmour, they are both very talented musicians that didn't see eye to eye on the direction of the band. It would have been nice if Gilmour had decided not to keep the name but whatever. Waters started the precedent when Syd was kicked out.

But anyways, I hate it that I have to hate the other options out there.

Yeah. I don't get that.

It's like some people think that liking pop culture things is a zero sum game where in order to like some things, you have to hate others to balance it out, or something.

The enemy of my friend is not necessarily my enemy.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I see this on music videos. The top comments will always be about how music today is crap and real music is the oldies. Even though I agree with the sentiment to an extent, I believe there is good music today too.

Comment

Fiance really likes electronica, and the comments on those Youtube videos are the worst. If it's a Tiesto video, it'll be all, "BT sux!" and "Armin is overrated!" You go to an Armin video, and it's people hating on Gareth Emery and Deadmau5. I just want to shake them screaming, "It all sounds exactly the same so shut the fuck up and enjoy the oontz!! Ugh. The only reason I like Tiesto better is because he's pretty. (Seriously, that is one pretty European. Rowr.)

Comment

This shows up in sports even more than pop culture.

Hell, TV sportscasters have attempted to invent rivalries because real life just isn't exciting enough, or something.

As an example, there was a time when Lindsay Davenport made a comment about her opponent, Amelie Mauresmo, stating that she "hits like a man." It was fairly obvious to anyone who followed tennis that she was complimenting the power of Mauresmo's swing. However, to drum up some excitement, or something, the sports coverage tried to make it out as if Davenport were trying to insult Mauresmo's womanhood since Mauresmo is openly gay. Davenport, for her part, immediately sent a personal note and made public statements to clarify her meaning, and Mauresmo, for hers, said that she wasn't offended by Davenport's comment. And Davenport also threatened the press with never giving them anything but boring factual statements for their treatment of her comments.

I don't know why they didn't spend more time on Hingis stating that same year that, "She travels with her girlfriend, she is half a man." during a German-language press conference and then tried to claim that it wasn't about her being gay.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I think it started with the Tastes Great - Less Filling commercials but it seems to be really prevelant on the internet.

DC - Marvel
            Star Wars - Lord of the Rings - Star Trek
            Roger Waters - David Gilmou - Syd Barrett
            Metal - Anything Else
            Apple - PC
            Polo - Izod

etc.

Comment

It really amuses me when I see it in music for a simple reason as seen in the following examples.

(Artist specializing in a specific genre rock, rap, etc) I am really influenced by and/or fan of (rock musician) (blues musician) (classical)

(Fan of artist in above example) I hate all other types of music other than (insert artist above's genre) it's the only true music everything else is crap.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

I've gone through my music phases but a funny thing, when I discover a new genre, I dont' give up the other ones that I enjoyed. This makes shuffle on my Ipod an adventure.

Comment

Working...
                X