Bert and Ernie agenda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PepperElf View Post

that's the problem with that quote... your definition of "evil" isn't the same as everyone elses. and i do not have to go by your word as if you're god. that's what you're not getting. just as you try to tell me i can't decide what's right for you... you too are not the lord of all with the right to decide for me what i shoud and shouldn't support or what i should and shouldn't call good and evil.
    Am I evil? Is Hyena evil? Is Ellen DeGenerous evil? Is the prime minister of Iceland evil? Is love evil?
    There is a lot of hypocrisy in what you've been arguing. You don't want us to tell you what is good and evil (even though there is no way short of amending the constitution that your religion would be forced to change one iota if legal civil marriages were legalized for same sex couples), yet you see nothing wrong with voting against marriage equality and thus calling us evil.
    So tell me, do you think we are evil? What is it about us that makes you think we don't deserve equal rights? And please don't fall back on the threat against your church, because that threat doesn't exist, there is no way in any of our lifetimes that public opinion against churches that don't recognize same sex marriages will become so strong that 2/3 of the state will ratify with a 2/3 majority an amendment to the US constitution revoking the freedom of religion.

Will lawsuits be filed? There is no doubt that they will. Will any of them succeed? Nope, not unless the Constitution is amended.

Also, as a slight nitpick, as I understand it God (and pronouns referring to Him) are supposed to be capitalized as a sign of respect (unless you are using the Orthodox tradition of leaving out the "o", G-d... which is still capitalized). It would be a lot more effective when invoking His name to write you it means something.

eta-
    the funniest thing about this entire thread, is that I actually agree with you about Bert and Ernie. So what if they are lovers or roommates, it doesn't really matter, they are who they are, and we'd be hypocritical to try to force them to be something else. As nice as it would be to have more positive gay role models, the way to do that isn't by forcing people (or characters) to change to fit that need. Sesame Street has never really been about sexuality or romance (except for Kermit and Miss Piggy) anyway. But then we had to add the talk of the threat to your church and being against your religious beliefs and it opens a whole new can of worms.
    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 08-28-2011, 10:20 AM.
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
      What annoys me most about this is the double standard and hypocrisy (Not of you or your post, but of this concept in general).

The whole argument of "It might force my faith to do something later on" violating the separation of church and state, when said same faith is already imposing itself and beliefs on others in violation of the separation of church and state.
      i'm not of the opinion that the church should have as much influence as it seems to have in the states either.
      but attempting to force someone to change their opinion when that opinion is an order from their deity is always going to get hackles up.
      be it religions that ban gay marriage (christianity isn't the only one, only the loudest). be it getting the jewish community to ban circumcision. be it getting strict muslim sects from keeping the traditions that oppress women.
      when you come to these people telling them their traditions are wrong, inhumane, and human rights violations, you are also essentially saying their god is wrong, inhumane and violates decency. of course they will get angry.
      All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
        when you come to these people telling them their traditions are wrong, inhumane, and human rights violations, you are also essentially saying their god is wrong, inhumane and violates decency. of course they will get angry.
        [Jester Mode On]
        Honestly, if their traditions are inhumane, human rights violations, etc. Fuck them. Let them get angry. They can cry and whine all they want but society is eventually going to pull them into the farking 21st century one way or another.
        [Jester Mode Off]

-.-

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
          [Jester Mode On]
          Honestly, if their traditions are inhumane, human rights violations, etc. Fuck them. Let them get angry. They can cry and whine all they want but society is eventually going to pull them into the farking 21st century one way or another.
          [Jester Mode Off]

-.-
          oh, i know. again, i'm not saying i agree with them. just that i understand where they are coming from.
          All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

• You know, God forced the angels to put man before Him.

Why the hell can't man understand the same memo?

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
              [Jester Mode On]
              [Jester Mode Off]

-.-
              LOL exactly. I don't care what someones culture says, human rights are something we should all agree on.

Comment

• Kermit and Miss Piggy isn't even an exception, as Miss Piggy is not a Sesame Street character.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                  Kermit and Miss Piggy isn't even an exception, as Miss Piggy is not a Sesame Street character.
                  I'm slightly embarrassed that I didn't know that
                  "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

• Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    I'm slightly embarrassed that I didn't know that
                    Well, in all fairness, they're all muppets and Kermit was on Sesame Street ( and everyone obviously thinks Kermit + Piggy ). Miss Piggy technically wasn't, but her personality was on Sesame Street before they come up with the idea of Miss Piggy as a full fledged character. So you might be remembering Frank Oz's lucious voice impression of a female. >.>

Comment

• Not caring about someone else' civil rights?

Yeah, that's textbook assholery right there. Can't get much plainer without actually involving pictographs.

Comment

Working...
                      X