Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rap/hip hop re-mixes

Yep.. I hate them!

Especially when they take a song from a few decades ago, and try to do it all over...mostly in the background (probably worse when it's not background though).

Why can't they come up with their own stuff, instead of ripping into somebody else's stuff??

(But then... I also hate bands/groups/individuals who have to name-drop themselves in every single song they do... why? Do they really think that it makes them more popular??)

/rant

Slyt
    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
    Why can't they come up with their own stuff, instead of ripping into somebody else's stuff??
    The same could be said about every piece of English literature since Shakespeare, or every bit of philosophy since Aristotle.

Re-mixing can be an art form in its own right.

Comment

Perhaps true enough (though if you're using Shakespeare as an example, he was a playwright, and since plays are meant to be... well... played... I'm not sure that I'd agree with that specific example).

As for philosophy... Not true... It sort of boils down to X said this and I'm now going to debate pull it a part... quite like science. Besides... that's only in 'western' culture... real unfortunate we don't get a lot of other philosophies coming through... like Lao Tzu for example.

And as for my OP, I guess it's just that the thread is about "Things I hate"... and it is something I hate... we all have our likes and dislikes.

But... speaking of art... new thread in Social Woes (or politics....)

Slyt
      ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
        It's a tribute, not stealing. I don't think it's even legal to do without permission from the original band.

I don't listen to a lot of hip hop but I absolutely loved "Stan" by Eminem, and he's certainly written enough original songs.

Comment

While on the other hand, hearing new stuff is always nice and the remix stuff can get old if too much is out at once, I don't usually mind it. One thing I've always liked is when different styles get mixed or when people do songs together. It's this mix of stuff that you maybe wouldn't have thought of before. My favorite rap that I ever heard was at a camp I was at, during the talent show, two guys went up on stage. One of them had a violin. The other rapped. Granted there is a bit of a difference between a collaboration and a remix, but I don't know why there should be time boundries really.

I do agree that a lot of the remixes can get old really quickly though when they didn't seem to have much thought put into them.

Comment

Originally posted by anriana View Post
            It's a tribute, not stealing. I don't think it's even legal to do without permission from the original band.

I don't listen to a lot of hip hop but I absolutely loved "Stan" by Eminem, and he's certainly written enough original songs.
            Ditto. I also love Aerosmith/Run DMC's version of Walk This Way; that was a collaboration, like Stan, so to me, that's better than a remix.
            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

About this time last year "She's Like The Wind" was re-mixed into some rap/hip hop song. Oh..my...ears. Shoot me.

Some remakes are cool. I love HIM's remakes of Chris Isaak and Billy Idol, but most rap/hip hop remakes are just trash and show a real lack of talent and a need to borrow someone else's work and destroy it to make it cool, like in the case of "She's Like The Wind".

Comment

You know what was the worst re-mix of all time? Reanimation, by Linkin Park. Seriously. You come out with your first decent album, so what do you do next? Instead of making a new album, you just do remixes of all your first songs? You usually don't do that until these albums have been out for awhile. Pathetic.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

but most rap/hip hop remakes are just trash and show a real lack of talent and a need to borrow someone else's work and destroy it to make it cool
                  That's why I started the thread

I don't know if you guys know it, but Red Gum did a song many a year ago called "I was only 19", about being sent to Vietnam war (go for a listen... it's a good-un!). It recently got done over.. and ppl seemed to have loved it. By 'ppl' I should say - those who for the most part hadn't heard the original.

And I think that's a part of it... a lot of the time, those who are getting into such remixes haven't heard and gotten to appreciate the original (granted, if they had, sometimes there wouldn't be that appreciation ).

Also what gets my goat (What Slyt? I didn't know you had a goat!) - is that I'll have the radio on, hear the first few bars and think to myself "oh cool - I haven't heard that in ages"... only to get some gangsta start in on how great he is over the top...grrrrr..... ( and baaaaaa)

Slyt

Comment

Not a rap remix... but when I heard the Tide Is High cover by Atomic Kitten, with their stupid extra lyrics, I wanted to throw them all in the chipper for massacreing one of my fave Blondie songs. -.-
                    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                    X