Madden-hating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madden-hating

I have just had another conversation about the Madden game series, and as usual, came out of it pissed off. So I'm gonna make a post about it.

I am really, REALLY sick of people saying that the series only provides roster updates every year. Because the only way you can say that is if you only play Madden on the easy difficulties, or if you don't play it at all. Because seriously, the game has changed a lot.

There was a long stretch where Madden didn't do much evolving as a series. 06-09 was three years where basically ALL we got were roster updates. Well, and the QB Vision Cone, which was a stupid idea, and was rightfully gotten rid of (its my second least favorite Madden mechanic of all time, after Fight for the Fumble, but I digress). There were also some updates to how the Franchise mode played, though I don't remember them all.

But from 10-12, that has NOT been the case. 10 brought the gameplay back down to basics, doing away with all the extra things, while making the first steps towards an adaptive AI. 11 made blockers actually go after the other team, instead of just standing their waiting for someone to run into them. 12 has additionally changed the defense, making defenders in zone actually follow people instead of standing there foolishly, and giving players on both sides of the ball behavior modifiers, making it so that players actually have a personality (as played by the AI) and the players actually have styles of play.

These are just the obvious things that you would notice from playing on anything above the second difficulty, if you follow football (or just like the game).

Look, I hate it when people say that you can't comment on something because it's not 'for' you. That's an assholish thing to say. But that is not, despite the similarity, what I'm saying. What I'm saying here is that if you don't know football, you won't notice it in casual play. Which is fine. But I'm sick of the complaint that it 'hasn't changed' because EA 'know they don't have to work on it'.

It HAS changed. If you think it hasn't, you're really not very good at the game. Zone defenders and blockers doing their job is something you pretty much HAVE to notice in an extended amount of play. Your blockers doing their job effects runs up the middle hugely, and if you pass at all, or ever call zones, you'll notice the defense changing. Honestly, if you follow football, you can see how its gotten better. Maybe its not there on the easier levels, but it certainly is on the levels I play.

I know this is a big rant, but this has bothered me a long time. Madden HAS changed, though if you're not a football fan or a Madden fan you might not notice it. And liking the game does not make me a stupid frat boy who only plays this and Call of Duty.

Additionally, I should complain that liking Madden and Call of Duty does not make you an idiot. From what I understand, Call of Duty is difficult. I know Madden is.

I think later I'll make a thread about hating people who like a different type of game.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

I was unaware there was any sort of controversy surrounding Madden. But I don't play sports games....

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
    Additionally, I should complain that liking Madden and Call of Duty does not make you an idiot. From what I understand, Call of Duty is difficult. I know Madden is.
    I'm quite confident that Call of Duty is easier, more simplistic and less intelligent than Madden. Probably more interactive and with better online play too. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
      I was unaware there was any sort of controversy surrounding Madden. But I don't play sports games....
      A lot of people hate the Madden series in general for the sole reason that EA managed to finagle NFL licensing exclusivity, thereby effectively shutting down any competition against them whatsoever. That's a very big part of the hate right there, as people at the time considered the NFL 2K series to be far superior.

Comment

Originally posted by dendawg View Post
        A lot of people hate the Madden series in general for the sole reason that EA managed to finagle NFL licensing exclusivity, thereby effectively shutting down any competition against them whatsoever. That's a very big part of the hate right there, as people at the time considered the NFL 2K series to be far superior.
        Ah. Well, it is EA. They've already ruined Crysis 2, fucked Battlefield 3 and I imagine will dick around Mass Effect 3 too. I would expect no less raging dickery from their sports division. -.-

Comment

They're most likely requiring Origin for ME3, and the EULA on that is alarming, to say the least. You get the pleasure of allowing them to delete anything they no longer support or anything at all they please...and given their current bitchfit with Valve over Steam, I'm not sure I'd trust it given that sort of free rein.

Pretty much a shame...hubby was more or less begging for ME3 for Christmas, and I was willing to go along even at full price, til they pulled that crap. I poke my way thru games in a very leisurely manner, other than WoW, so by the time I was ready for 3 I'd grab a D2D or (before all of this) Steam sale when it got down to $20.

Now? You get nothing, EA. We'll read how it ends.
          Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
          Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Originally posted by dendawg View Post
            And even though the gameplay of NFL2K was considered superior, Madden would have been more popluar because they had the licenses. It's the same with EA's FIFA series and Konamis Pro Evolution Soccer, although FIFA has improved massively over the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_on_High View Post
              Now? You get nothing, EA. We'll read how it ends.
              Yeah, really hoping there's enough backlash to get a version of ME3 that's not Origin. Origin has absolutely no purpose existing beyond EA just wanting to be giant corporate money whores. If offers nothing new, is an inferior product to Steam and will only have EA games as exclusives. Not to mention the EULA and other underhanded shit they're going to pull with it. Its pissing off enough people as is and will only continue to do so from here on out.

Stupid part is the backlash wouldn't be as bad if they just admitted they were evil corporate cash whores. But instead the total bullshit reasoning they gave for pulling things off Steam just pissed people off more. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbo View Post
                And even though the gameplay of NFL2K was considered superior, Madden would have been more popluar because they had the licenses. It's the same with EA's FIFA series and Konamis Pro Evolution Soccer, although FIFA has improved massively over the past few years.
                2k5 had the ESPN license, and the gameplay was better, along with the animation. Basically, it was a better game. Getting the license was what kept Madden from ending up like the NBA Live. They were also probably quite scared after 2k Sports got exclusive MLB rights.

Its an understandable decision, just one that's frustrating. Still, I'm not complaining about hating Madden for EA, I'm complaining about the insistence that every game is just a roster update.
                "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

People complain about anything....

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    Stupid part is the backlash wouldn't be as bad if they just admitted they were evil corporate cash whores. But instead the total bullshit reasoning they gave for pulling things off Steam just pissed people off more. ;p
                    Haha, now that is true enough. If they'd just admitted "Hey, we want more cash out of the whole deal!" we'd have shrugged, thought it was a bit greedy but bought in anyway.
                    Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
                    Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Honestly I just get annoyed over the hype that surrounds the next version of any of the sports games that have new releases every year.

Far too many of the people who are diehard fans of the games tend to get overzealous when the new year's version comes out.

But they are no different than other people who get rabid when the latest version of [very popular non-sports game] comes out.

Not being a sports player (and finding out that I just flat out suck at these games) I'm largely indifferent to them. If people want to fork out the money every year then that's their own account and not mine.
                      “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Generally with sports games, I will get a new one every couple years but generally I'm just fine with the out of date version that I have. Lately, I haven't played many of my games enough to care.

Comment

Working...
                        X