No announcement yet.

"You don't have any learning disability!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always wanted to kick people who say that out a second story window and say "try harder to fly, asshole."

Comment

Something else that occurred to me. I have an old friend who has dyslexia. Even before I knew for certain, I suspected because of the types of spelling mistakes she made. When I finally straight out asked her if she'd been tested, she told me she had but that she would rather be seen as a lousy speller than dyslexic.

Personally, I thought that was kind of silly. After all, having dyslexia wasn't because of anything she had or hadn't done. Being ashamed of that is like being ashamed of needing glasses.

Comment

Teysa: I don't understand that either. If anything, finding out there's an explaination for my struggles is a relief. It means that it's not the norm and I'm not "being a baby".

Comment

It wasn't that she didn't know. She did know and I guess was comfortable with it.

She just didn't want others to know, as if it were some sort of stigma that was worse than the stigma of being too lazy/stupid/careless to figure out how to spell things properly, which is something I cannot even wrap my mind around.

It's kind of like someone who is not obviously pregnant using the courtesy spaces some malls have, and then denying that they're actually pregnant and preferring that people just think that they're lazy jerks, instead.

My mind, it does not comprehend the reasoning.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I never understood that either especially since she's a very sane, logical person in other areas. Oh well, I guess we all have our oddities. At the end of the day she's a good friend and that's what counts the most.

Comment

I live with adult ADD. I don't have the hyperactivity component, but I have the rest. In general I seem like a normal, healthy person so a lot of people doubt me when I say I have the condition.

However, after reading a book and evaluating certain behaviors I have (and the fact I was diagnosed as a child) I have come to the conclusion I still have it.

Now I don't consider myself a severe case but it's definitely present.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                ^This. I was late diagnosed; Aspergers didn't even exist as a diagnosis when I was a kid.
                That's about what it was like when I was younger - I did have testing done, but for whatever reason, Aspberger's (or anything autism-related) never came up as a diagnosis. Main thing which frustrates me about this now is that I'm not always able to recognize when my behavior is NOT "normal", and I still occasionally get teased/fussed at by family members.

Comment

Working...
                X