No announcement yet.

"Plus size? What's that?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate the fact that stores seem to think that plus sized clothing should look ugly or plain. For once I'd love to see a store have a plus sized version of itself..how hard is it for the stores to have something like that? They would make a mint!

Comment

Originally posted by kibbles View Post
      I hate the fact that stores seem to think that plus sized clothing should look ugly or plain. For once I'd love to see a store have a plus sized version of itself..how hard is it for the stores to have something like that? They would make a mint!
      There IS a store that has done just that: Hot Topic. They created TORRID... the plus-sized version of their store, for their plus-sized female customers. Unfortunately, over the last year or 2, the management of Hot Topic has become a bunch of SELL OUTS, but that's another rant for another day.
      "You guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"
      --Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

To me, second-hand stores not accepting plus-sized clothing doesn't make sense. With the number of overweight and obese people on the rise, wouldn't they want to bring in that business?

ETA: Torrid's clothing is....meh. Unless you like skinny jeans, bubble dresses, or garish prints, you won't find much there. There is Lane Bryant of course, but I find their clothing to be either old lady-ish or too...urban?

ETA Again: Maurices has probably done the best job of translating their regular clothing into plus sizes, although I already feel a bit too old to be shopping there. For basics, I've had quite a bit of luck with J.C. Penney's St. John's Bay line.
        Last edited by AdminAssistant; 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

First off, congratulations on the weight loss! You should never, ever let someone else steal your joy in your accomplishment because they are jerks. They don't care that they steal it, so don't give it to them!

Secondly, yes, you should be able to re-sell your clothes, and the fact that these 00-2 sized twits don't see a market for them is *their* blindness.

Also, you have every right to feel pretty, because you know what? You *are* pretty. I don't know what you look like, but every. single. person is attractive in their own way, as long as they are encouraged to see it in themselves. I'll never be as skinny as people are "supposed" to be, and I *am* a size 10. So if someone *my* size feels "zomg, get smaller you have to lose weight" pressure, it's really NOT because I'm any sort of overweight, but that there is a massive cultural movement trying to make people think they need "fixing."

As far as bras go, I am lucky enough to live close enough to Canada to get to shop at Change. I'm a DD, which is "normally" large enough to not get to wear the cute stuff anymore, but this store... oh, man, they go up to letters I've never imagined a cup size could be. On the rack. In the cutest and most awesome styles. You will have different holding patterns for a FF than a B, but they'll have the same fabric and frills no matter your size. I've had a border guard ask me if I left any bras for other people before, that's how much I adore this store. As far as I can tell they're a European chain that's been in Canada for a few years now, and I do keep hoping they'll expand to the US because they really, truly are the best place I've ever found for girl-wear.

Also, GK,
          ....You know, it just occured to me that every trip I take to the mall is a Fark link waiting to happen.
          This could potentially, maybe, perhaps, in part be because your mall is *special*. Not that I might have occasion to know.

Comment

Concentrate on the fact that you can't wear these clothes anymore! That's a great accomplishment!

My advice is: Craigslist! I've been selling off some of Khan's baby clothes and it is easy to use and local. If plus-size clothes are hard to find (I can't believe that though; even many of the teenagers I see aren't skinny), surely people would be happy to find them on there.

Comment

I so know what you are going through. I hate clothes shopping. Why do all plus size jeans need tummy control?

I would second ebay or craiglist. and if you put it on ebay send me the link I wear that size.

And major congrats on the weight lose. Hubby and I are trying but it proving to be very hard.

*Hugs*

Comment

Honestly, I'm not a fan of these second hand brand name stores, because they don't give you much for your clothes (granted, if you need cash and you really can live without the clothes, you'll take it), then turn around and mark it up.

There's a new branch of them around here. They took jeans from Buckle and other places, turn around and sell them for $40. You kidding me? I can get jeans for $30 on sale at AE, or even cheaper at Macy's or Kohl's on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                  I usually find trips to the mall terrifying due to the mannaquins these days. Some stores are fine ( ones with more casual clothes ), but anything remotely trendy with any sort of label recognition likes to drape their clothes over these horrific, headless, praying mantis like creatures in the window.
                  The most terrifying ones are at Express. They're enamel white and half their heads are chopped off. The just... end where the top half of their heads would be.

Comment

The half headed mannequins at Express....LOL.

I walk past that store and can't imagine any guy would want to dress the way their mannequins are dressed. It always looks like sailor suits and cop uniforms for guys.

Comment

Weirdly, the problem around here is that being a multicultural city to such a degree, its hard to find higher class stuff that fits you just being white. My shoulders are usually too wide for it and I have to go up a size or two as a lot of things are tailored towards an Asian build or towards the average for the Lower Mainland. I have a relative that's been trying to find me a nice long coat / petticoat since Christmas. But my shoulders are always too wide on every one she finds.

I imagine it would be rather difficult if you had hips too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                        I have a relative that's been trying to find me a nice long coat / petticoat since Christmas. But my shoulders are always too wide on every one she finds.
                        You'll be the prettiest princess in all the land.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                          You'll be the prettiest princess in all the land.

*giggle*

I was thinking the same thing. And that he probably meant peacoat and he didn't catch the autocorrect.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                            *giggle*

I was thinking the same thing. And that he probably meant peacoat and he didn't catch the autocorrect.
                            Indeed. Though it would explain why they're never wide enough. -.-

Comment

The headless shop dummies freak me out, too. And those ones with stilletto heels coming out of their feet. O.o

What's worse is that the local Mothercare has these headless child dummies in the window. O.o
                              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

If people are looking for plus sized stores which are brick and mortar and not just websites, here are a few of the following:

Avenue Really nice clothing. All Plus Sized. Wide variety of styles for people to wear.

Catherines Again, nice. Though if you go to their website address, it does say: catherines.lanebryant so it's part of Lane Bryant, but I like their clothing better than LB.

Also, there's Fashion Bug Again, they're affiliated with Lane Bryant. They used to have one side for Misses and one for Plus Size but now they mix everything up.

So there are 3 plus sized stores right there.

There is also a few website only places that I enjoy looking at too.
                                Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Working...
                                X