friends hosting even though sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• friends hosting even though sick

If there is going to be a gathering among friends or just two or three people hanging out its one thing.
    But if one of those friends gets sick and still goes along with it anyway and that person is the one handling the food or preparing it then its a VERY GOOD IDEA to tell the others that hey i am sick and we should reschedule or postpone.
    I don't care if its the second or third attempt at this, I REALLY don't want to get sick. OR I will take precautions and still come over but take over food prep. I have no problem especially if its all just to hang out.
    I freak out because if I get sick then so will my daughter as I handle her the most. (not to be mean but that's just how it is)
    And I gripe now because this is what happened, said friend held a gathering, was preparing the food and after we had eaten revealed she was sick. And today I wake up with coughing and sore throat and no doubt my daughter will have it too by the end of the day.

And its got to be something really nasty because I don't get sick often. But when I do its really really bad. Good grief that sounds like that dos equis commercial.
    Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
    Yeah we're so over, over
    Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

While the food prep part makes things worse, just being in the same air space as a sick person is often enough to get you hit with their germs. And if the air space in question is their own home, you're likely going to be fully exposed to whatever they have, food or no food.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We're flat out brutal about that. It is a huge social faux pas among my group to come out or host while you are sick. Nobody wants anyone else illness, and nobody's willing to GET sick just to avoid hurting someone's feelings.

So the rule is keep your damn pathogens to yourself.

In fact, my husband wrote this morbidly hilarious short story called "Pine Nut The Squirrel" and passed it around (he had time... he was fucking SICK after someone came over to our place sick and we were too stupid and too polite to throw him out...that's changed now, let me tell you). The story features a den full of dead rabbits because their buddy Typhoid Mary (other wise known as Pine Nut the Squirrel) came over to their place sick.

So now, something like ten years down the line, people in my group still say "man, I can't come out tonight, I'm sick and I don't want to be a Bunny Killer."

Throw down a sick enough story, people freaking remember it.

Comment

Sounds like someone needs to be forced to sit down and watch a certain episode of Mythbusters. -.-

Comment

Yeah sick people are obnoxious when they spread their germs everywhere.

It sucks at jobs tho where you can't win either way. Come in? Dirty looks for bringing disease to work and for not being at 100% efficiency. Stay home? Dirty looks the next day for COMPLETELY DISRUPTING THE FLOW OF THE COMPANY and also ABANDONING YOUR CO-WORKERS IN THEIR TIME OF NEED and also BLATANT DISRESPECT AND NEGLIGENCE FOR YOUR JOB and ALL OTHERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE HUMAN RACE.

Comment

Have been offline getting better. That's how bad it was. Still dizzy some but well enough to function. And now daughter has it, and I can't take her in to her pediatrician until wednesday morning because of how full they are. She is ok but stopped up enough to be miserable.

This is also one of my unspoken but well known rules, I don't care if i haven't seen my friends in forever there is texting, phone, online and what have you and snail mail. I am not talking to her for a while so I don't just blow up at her but she KNOWS I am very unhappy. The entire house is on quarantine to prevent further spreading. Not as in actual contained but no one in or out besides jobs. Sanitize/wash hands at every turn and take your medicine if you feel even slightly off. Which for those not sick is airborne or emergen-c or what have you.

I do not like taking nyquil now because of what they did to keep it on the shelves taking any makes me dizzy now, but still helps. I loathe it. But right now its all i have. And its not just medicine its the whole I STILL have issues with having to take anything because I have this mental hang up over it even though its for my benefit. I DO NOT like going to sleep if its not under my choice, IE don't like having to drug myself to go to sleep because most of the time it ends up in bad dreams because of how I am or I oversleep through the alarm.

THIS, ALL the above is what I absolutely loathe having to go through when sick. All of that could be avoided, I am still furious. Hope that damn lunch get together was worth it because she won't be seeing me for a long while. I feel that I am strong enough to weather most things but this was apparently strong enough to knock me down so that means daughter is definetely going to get it and if the other people in the house don't take precaution so will they. And my friends wonder why I am often anti-social and keep to this house, because I know who cleaned the house, ME.

And yes Farhook, same crap at work but its gotten now that most of hubs coworkers understand you're sick stay home we'll manage.
            I've been at places where I got the death glare for calling in, I will tell them fine next time i get sick I'll be sure to share it with you so we can all be miserable. Got me some looks but until I left people did not question me should I have to call in again.
            Yeah we're so over, over
            Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Yeah, that's nasty, and pretty damn inconsiderate as well. Hey sometimes people get sick. Shit happens. I'd rather reschedule for later then get sick and make my family sick.

Comment

daughter finally getting over the sick part, we go back to her pediatrician wednesday for a follow through as she has finished her medicine by then

me, went from being sick to chest to then head cold to now runny nose, throat issues and fever. and i am out of nyquil and have to wait to go to the local walk in clinic ....effing lovely
                Yeah we're so over, over

Comment

Working...
                X