Politics on Campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics on Campus

Today I had to go through the main part of campus to go to the library and meet with a member of my exam committee. I had to pass the main humanities building, that sits behind a very wide section of sidewalk. This is called the "Beach" and is usually where various student groups set up shop. Today I had to dodge: A vendor selling hot dogs, a pro-Israel student group selling falafel, and a sexual assault awareness group. Honestly, no big deal. But, this week the anti-choice people are here. Y'know, the ones that set up the 20 foot tall panels with large, graphic photograph of dead fetuses. As I was walking by I could hear their people preaching to all of us about how sinful loose women were, how you couldn't kill a baby for "your misdeeds" and all that lovely misogynistic bullshit. It's all I could do to just look ahead, turn up my MP3 player, and keep walking. On the other side of their....display was a student group passing out free condoms and a tent for a biker group that supports the March of Dimes. I gave them a dollar just...because. I really don't know what the March of Dimes track record is, but at least they're doing something good for babies, instead of harassing and horrifying teenagers.

There is a women's health clinic around the block from my workplace, and those people can often be seen standing around with those signs. I haven't seen them out there very much lately, though.

Comment

The March of Dimes is a group that helps out people with a variety of disabilities, both physical and mental. They're a good group without a political leaning and support for them is in my eyes a completely good thing. That said, I think the anti-choice group saw them set up and parked right next to them to try and garner some sort of association with the public that doesn't exist.

Comment

I hate prolifers. I really do.

Luckly, I haven't run into any groups yet. The most annoying experience I had with campus politics was around election time when I was asked about 5 times if I had my voters ID (I did).

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
          Y'know, the ones that set up the 20 foot tall panels with large, graphic photograph of dead fetuses.
          I'm against abortion myself, and even I think that's entirely inappropriate. A few years ago, some trucking company got themselves in hot water for having the same sort of thing covering the entire side of their trucks. I'm sorry to say I actually saw one of those things when I was in traffic once. Thankfully, that was only once several years ago, so I'm hoping they stopped doing it.

The whole shock issue aside, I think I'd be pissed off if I was one of the truck drivers and was forced to drive a vehicle with propoganda all over it, especially issues that I was dead-set against.
          --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
            I hate prolifers. I really do.

Luckly, I haven't run into any groups yet. The most annoying experience I had with campus politics was around election time when I was asked about 5 times if I had my voters ID (I did).
            You are of course entitled to your opinion but I would like to point there is a different between a pro lifer and a militant pro lifer.

Comment

Yeah I was talking about the militant ones who base their entire political opinion on abortion and then try to guilt you because you actually focused on other issues.

Those are the ones I hate.

Comment

Ugh. Militant pro-lifers make me want to skip down the street and chant "I love abortion, yay for dead fetuses!" or something. All they do is offend people, freak others out, and make the people who are considering an abortion feel like absolute shit. Way to go.
                "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Originally posted by Eisa View Post
                  All they do is offend people, freak others out, and make the people who are considering an abortion feel like absolute shit. Way to go.
                  Eisa, you act like that isn't their goals in the first place. Their campaign is a shock campaign. Freak out enough people, shame enough people into not doing it, and eventually no one will fight against them...or so they imagine.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I think shock campaigns are a load of fail anyway. Sure, you got everyones attention now, but eventually people will see it for what it is, fear mongering poo poo.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
                      You are of course entitled to your opinion but I would like to point there is a different between a pro lifer and a militant pro lifer.
                      Well, obviously shoving pictures of aborted fetuses in a teenager's face is a special kind of fail. But, honestly, if you are actively pro-life, then you support the government intervening in a woman's medical decision. I have a problem with that. The great failing of the Democratic Party/Liberals is that we're too understanding sometimes. We say, "Oh, it's okay if you're anti-choice" or "It's okay if you're against gay marriage." No. No, it's not okay.

Comment

Working...
                      X