Debbie Downer "Realists"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debbie Downer "Realists"

We had a thread a while back on Debbie Downer know it alls, but what about so called "Realists" who think they're so realistic just because they're so negative? These are the kind of people who if you tell them your dreams and goals, they would tear them apart, making up reasons why you'd never reach them. Because obviously no one is ever really happy and the world is just a dull, depressing place.

I consider myself a realist right now. This is mostly due to the fact that at work I have been told and promise thing were going to change. They haven't done anything as far as I am concerned when it comes to the promises.

I can't be hopeful if I keep my hopes dashed or ignored. It's a waste of my energy to be so hopeful.
    "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

I'm more of a realist.
      That being said, though I may believe something to have a 90+% chance of failure, I see no reason to not at least try for the most part.
      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I have absolutely no trouble keeping hopes for completely pie-in-the-sky thing alive. Takes no effort.

That said, while I will count my chickens before they hatch, I'll also note that the count is completely unrealistic and won't be planning any dinners based on it.

I hope for the best, plan for the worst, and don't worry about the stuff I can't control.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Pesimests are right 90% of the time and still waiting for something to go wrong remaining 10%

Optimists are right 10% of the time and are hoping the other 90% will get better.

Realists are right 90% of the time and pleasantly surpirsed the remaining 10%.

((Please note these are numbers verified by the National Dept of pulling numbers out of my ass.))

So based on these highly scientific figures, realists are the happiest people because they do not suffer dissappointment, are happy when good things happen, and are almost always correct.

Comment

Most people would consider me more negative, but I've found in recent times, it's better to not get my hopes up. I can't stop myself from worrying or dreading, but it sure as hell lifts my spirits and relieves me to find out something is going to go my way or not be as bad as I thought.

Comment

i don't think i've met a negative realist. they may see how difficult something can be and list the reasons for potential failure, but then they usually make a game plan to get as close to their goals as possible.
              All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
                i don't think i've met a negative realist. they may see how difficult something can be and list the reasons for potential failure, but then they usually make a game plan to get as close to their goals as possible.
                That's the key there. A proper realist doesn't inherently look at the negative aspect of a situation, they look at the track record and understand the odds, then expect the most likely scenario, while preparing for the others. Critical analytical thinking requires this type of thought pattern.

Optimists look for the best possible outcome
                Pessimists look for the worst possible outcome
                Realists look for the most likely outcome.

Comment

At an old job for selling cellphones at the mall I was labeled a pessimest because if some one asked me if I would get six new activations on a tuesday I would say 'not a chance'.

On tuesday we would be lucky if 6 people showed up all day. I live in a poorer area and when 75% of the people who asked about starting an account had a 500 dollar deposit or more per line of service they arent starting anything. I might manage some prepaid accounts, since they never require deposits. But new full accounts were a rarity.

Most of my time was spent calling technical support for customers and helping with billing issues rather than actually selling anything. Pretty shitty when you make the bulk of your money from commission.

Comment

*raises hand* Debbie Downer here. Not proud of it but I just can't get motivated to do something when I get a lot of negativity in response.

Make something all nice and pretty? Not nice and pretty enough.

Clean something up? Oh, look, you missed a tiny spot over there that only one or two people out of twenty saw.

Make a great decision? Cue someone, anyone, throwing a fit that I MADE a decision ON MY OWN.

Yea, kinda hard to be positive when there's at least a dozen or more people breathing down my back over the slightest, stupidiest thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                      At an old job for selling cellphones at the mall I was labeled a pessimest because if some one asked me if I would get six new activations on a tuesday I would say 'not a chance'.
                      I don't think companies understand the value of realistic targets.

If weekly sales of $10,000 is your target, but you only make $5000 during the busiest week of the year, then that target is not going to do anything to motivate the sales staff. It's an impossible target, and it will be laughed at, then ignored.

The last district manager that told me that "nothing is impossible" got told, in diplomatic terms, exactly why that attitude is bullshit and has no place in any functional business model.

Comment

Working...
                      X