Story from my childhood illustrating things I still hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story from my childhood illustrating things I still hate

...which has been on my mind a lot the last few days, for a variety of reasons. Here goes:

When I was about ten years old, we took a trip to visit relatives 700 miles away. As often happens on long car trips with kids, particularly before in-car DVD players, portable video games, and such, we had a few small toys along. I don't remember what, exactly; I think a travel version of Scrabble was involved, but am not sure. At any rate, there were small pieces. Getting in to leave, I noticed some were missing. On speaking up, I was told that Dad and/or Stepmom (I don't remember and it doesn't matter) had cleaned up and thrown that out. I said something along the lines of its not being trash and wanting it back; they acted as if they hadn't thrown anything away but scrap paper and garbage and that's what I was objecting to. I wanted to get my stuff back out of the trash; they acted as if this were totally unreasonable. This, of course, made me angry and I spoke accordingly. They did let me have back the small bag, saying that I could sort through it on the way home and then we could throw it out there. I took a quick glance in the bag to make sure my stuff really was in there among the genuine trash, then put the bag behind my feet to sort later. After all, it was going to be a long day on the road, and there was plenty of time.

Very few minutes later, we stopped for gas. Dad had me pump it (despite this being against the law) as usual.

Back on the highway, not even long enough that the ramp was out of sight yet, I went to sort my things out of the trash... only to discover the bag was gone. They had thrown it out at the gas station while I was on the other side of the truck and couldn't see. You can imagine my reaction, I suppose; I don't really remember it, only how it felt, first to have my things thrown away, then to be lied to. I was then told three additional things which, again, I still believe to be rationally infuriating: first, the lie that there had never been anything but trash in the bag in the first place; second, that it was inexcusable to have "made a scene" in front of relatives and I always needed to wait until a private moment to bring that sort of thing up, never mind that it would have been too late then and that they knew that full well; and third, another lie: that they had never said it could wait until we got home, but instead that they were throwing it out as soon as we stopped for gas. (To my mind, then and now, their own actions proved that I had not misunderstood, or at the very least wanted me to misunderstand: they said nothing as I sat there doing nothing with the bag on the trip to the gas station, which I plainly would not have done had I known that was all the time I had.)

So... is it unreasonable to become angry when someone treats your stuff as if it were trash? Is it unreasonable to *express* verbally said anger? Is it reasonable to expect someone to wait until it is too late to correct something before speaking up? Is it unreasonable to feel betrayed when such things (and the lying) are done? On the other side, is it reasonable to throw away someone's stuff (and I don't even mean broken or sticky or out-of-place stuff, as there was nowhere it could have been put up until reaching home), then expect them to act as if nothing were wrong? Is it reasonable to lie and sneak? Is it reasonable to expect that those you do these things to not to express displeasure, or to treat them as if doing so were a worse offense than anything they could possibly have done to provoke it legitimately?* How much difference does it make that I was a child?

*Actually, that one strikes me as particularly childish on *their* part, like the stereotypical sibling doing things like holding their hand half an inch away and chanting "I'm not touching you" over and over.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post

So... is it unreasonable to become angry when someone treats your stuff as if it were trash? Is it unreasonable to *express* verbally said anger? Is it reasonable to expect someone to wait until it is too late to correct something before speaking up? Is it unreasonable to feel betrayed when such things (and the lying) are done?
    I don't feel it's unreasonable at all - back in junior high, my mom did something kind of like that with some music magazines I had. I'd been looking through one while I was eating breakfast before school, and when I got home that night, it was gone - Mom said she'd thrown it out because she thought it was "trash that I didn't want anymore".

Comment

My mom use one of my playstation CD's box(with the Cd on it) to remove dog poo from her shoes

Comment

I always thought it was cruel when anyone purposely throws out another person's belongings either as punishment or through thoughtlessness.

Comment

My mom used to do that to me all the time, using room cleanouts as a form of punishment. Right in front of me, she would wad up and throw out things that I wanted to keep, or go through my private things, demanding I justify the existence of all of them. To her, garbage was anything that SHE didn't see a use for. And she wonders why I hate cleaning and have become a pack rat.

I used to collect music videos, by recording them onto VHS tapes. Often times, it was a matter of luck being able to get what I did, and I would end up with some pretty impressive collections. I also taped documentaries and other interesting shows as well. This was well before the days of being able to view videos online any time you wanted, or buy DVDs of almost anything.
          Well, one day my father (who is TERRIBLE at reading labels- meaning he doesn't) grabbed one of my video compilations and used it to record a tv show for my mom. But the damage wasn't limited to the hour or so that the show lasted. Because it was easier for him, he set the VCR to just keep recording until the end of the tape. So I lost hours of stuff that I would never be able to recover thanks to his double-fisted carelessness. One for not reading the label on the tape ID'ing it as mine, and two for his lazy job setting the record time on the VCR.

Needless to say, I was PISSED. And my mom blew her stack at ME, saying how dare I be upset, that she didn't appreciate the way I reacted. Yeah, never mind that I've just lost something that I will never be able to replace, through somebody else's sheer carelessness. Never mind that had the circumstances been reversed and it was me wrecking something belonging to my parents, they never would have let me hear the end of it. Noooo. Somebody wrecks my stuff, I'm supposed to smile and say "Oh gosh, it's okay"? Umm, how about hell no!

Comment

In modern society, we determine our value to ourselves and others by money and the things we can buy with that money. We are valued by how much we are paid for giving over some of our life in that trade.

Throwing away some of your life without permission is not on.

When it comes to a child, it is a slightly different matter, as our tastes change fast when we go through the early years of our life. I've looked back at things from a year or two ago back then and wondered why I used to think something was the bestest thing ever, when it was now plainly naff. I'd say more care needs to be taken over it, but most parents are keenly aware that children will forget stuff even existed within a month or two. Patience on the parental part will do wonders, I suspect.

Rapscallion
            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

No, my mother threw things of mine out in anger- she would get pissed at me, and it was room cleaning time! She threw things out that I expressly wanted to keep, screaming her damn fool head off the whole time, until I was a whimpering ball.

Comment

Yeah, that was sucky of your parents. I don't know why they wouldn't just let you get your bag and check before you left. I hate when parents pull stupid stuff like that. Just because it's "trash" to them doesn't mean it's trash to you.

Comment

A good friend of mine does this and I attribute it to how she was raised. Her parents did the same thing to her and now she does the same. When she and her husband were my roommates, I mostly left personal items in my own room, with the exception of public use items such as dishware and whatnot. The husband was, shall we say, not so good about picking up his books and things. My friend would get upset, but keep it internalized until she suddenly exploded into a fury. Shouting, screaming and throwing. And suddenly every offending item along with a few extras would be outside with the trash. The offender was ordered to retrieve them and immediate put them away if they wanted to keep it.

No. Just no. You do not discard others' property like that. Not to mention, discard into a place where it can be damaged by trash, rodents, rain and theft.

Comment

When I was a kid my mother used to pull the same stuff on me - she'd get pissed off at me for whatever reason and when I'd come home from school all the things that had been neatly organized on my dresser had been swept into a garbage bag that would be then waiting at the front door for me to find when I got home from school. And she would make me take the bag to the garbage bin...I swear she enjoyed upsetting me like that. What she didn't know is that I wasn't actually taking the bag to the bin - she didn't watch me do walk down there so I found a good hiding place for the bag and would wait until she left for work to retrieve it - and then all the stuff would be taken out and put away out of sight for a couple of weeks. If she asked where I got the stuff again I would tell her that I paid to replace it out of my babysitting money.

She only tried it once when I was an adult and living in the basement suite of their house. I threatened to charge her with theft.

As a result of what I went through as a kid I swore to never do that with my own child. If he leaves things where they don't belong I'll put them into a shopping bag or basket and set the stuff on his bed for him to deal with. Or make him remove the offending stuff himself. Getting angry and tossing the stuff out does no good because it just ends up in a huge argument and a lot of hurt feelings and a pile of mistrust.

To this day I both love and hate my mother - when she wants to be nice and motherly it's rare but I do try to take advantage of those moments because the rest of the time I can't stand her and how she treats me. Once in a while I have a mom but most of the time I have Mommy Dearest -_-

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who clearly remembers things 15, 20 or closer to 30 years ago.

My parents used to do it with me and the computer. They were extremely threatened by this little white box that must be run on the power of Satan! Basically everything about me that wasn't perfect they decided to be assholes and blame it on that. Got in a fight at school? It MUST be because of that evil Satan Box! The Satan Box is teaching you violence! Failed a test in school? It's that damn Satan Box! It's melting your brain! Forgot to do the dishes? It's that damn Satan Box!

So basically any time they were pissed at me was another excuse to take away computer time. Which worked wonders didnt it? Yeah I hardly ever waste time on the computer nowadays! Thanks mom and dad!

Comment

When my parents separated in 2004 (they are now divorced) my mom threw out a lot of my dads stuff before he had a chance to come to the house and get it. This included clothes, watches and a good chunk of his music collection. She also dumped all his homemade wine down the sink.

I also have a sneaking suspicion she threw out a bunch of family photo albums too, because they mysteriously went missing around this time. She claims she didn't but I still have my doubts.

Most of my childhood was in those albums. If I ever find out she did it I will be very upset.

Comment

Then one wonders why some people turn into hoarders later in life becasue of the crap their parents did to them.

My mom would get angry and as punishment she would break and throw out my stuff.

Once she got so angry she broke my fisher price record player that was suppose to be unbreakable. She was about to break the record that i had that had a lot of sentimental value to it. Thank goodness she didn't becuase i think i would have hated her from then on.

Comment

Ugh, I really think people who stoop to the levels of property destruction are low. It really does nothing but create resentment, and that's not the intention of punishment or at least it shouldn't.

Comment

My mom really hated it if my room was a mess. If it wasn't cleaned by a certain time...there was hell to pay. I'm sure some toys disappeared, but I don't even remember which ones now. Now though, I get to hear grief about how my house is "cluttered" and that I have "too much stuff." Guess what, Mom? You don't live here, nor do I have to keep my place to *your* standards. Don't like the piles of sports car magazines everywhere? Tough shit

Comment

Working...
                              X