Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another interview rant *kinda emo*

*facepalm*

Had a group interview yesterday. Believe it or not, it actually went well for an interview (I think), and the people at the store seem like the kind of people I'd want to work with. Customers sound like a pain in the ass, but that's what CS is for, right (ranting about jerk customers)?

But there is just so much bullshit, so much phoneyness, and so much psuedo psychology that always, always trips me up. I always end up getting nervous, stuttering, and am lucky to be able to complete the questions without my brain shutting off at that moment. It doesn't help that since I have no customer service experience (outside of volunteer) I really have to struggle to come up with an appropriate answer. To make it worse, I have social anxiety, which probably makes me even more figety and nervous (which I cannot help when faced with questions that I cannot answer). And also makes it hard to know how to react in certain situations (and even if I do, I don't always come across how I want to) Meaning that interviewers are most likely gonna mark me down on crap like "apperience" and "posture" (so sue me!)

And like I said many many times, HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO HAVE EXPERIENCE IF NO ONE WILL HIRE ME?!

Another thing, my hand writting sucks. I can't really help it as it's part of a learning disability, but it almost makes the online applications perferable to having to hand write it. Especially when before they interview, they make me fill out another application, even though I HAD ALREADY TURNED IN AN APPLICATION BEFORE THEY CALLED ME! Plus I had most of the information on my resume. Why make me do another one? Is this another part of the "test"? Why do they have to make you jump through so many hoops just to get hired?! And why does every one of these hoops have to be a royal pain in the ass for me?

I'm probably borrowing trouble here, but it's hard to blame me when I can't compete with other applicants with more experience and more interview skills. I wouldn't blame the organization for hiring those other people above me, but it's still very discourging when I get tripped up so easily.

I feel you. My handwriting sucks too, and i have anxiety problems. Hopefully the interviewers will be able to see that you would be a good asset to the company, and look past your nerves.

Comment

You jsut made me think of something. Ive often asked the question why does it seem Joe Blow the goof off who goes through so many jobs seem to be able to get so many jobs.

Joe Blow knows how to market himself.

Comment

While I definitely understand where you're coming from with the hand-written application, they do have a very good reason for making you fill it out at least in part. Covering their ass. They have you write in certain types of information on the application and then sign it. More often than not, you can forego the previous employment and related sections by handing in the resume, but there will be questions on the application (my work asks "Do you smoke?" ... which is an asshole question, but still currently legal in this state) that you will not have answered on your resume. After all, how many resumes list the lack of felony convictions? I've yet to run into an application that did not ask that question.

As for the rest, I feel you. While I can internalize all of those fidgets and nervous tics while in interviews (I actually present myself really well), I have yet to ever get a job on my own merits. >_<

My brother, who is a consummate asshole and has gotten himself fired for his attitude repeatedly, can ace any interview. He can sell himself as the perfect anything and has been hired based on that alone more times than I can count.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Another reason for getting you to fill out an application there is to simply test wheter you're literate or not.
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
            Another reason for getting you to fill out an application there is to simply test wheter you're literate or not.
            And if you sent in a resume or even an online application and they ask for it again in person, it could be to check and make sure it was actually you who wrote the resume/filled in the online application. My brother wrote his girlfriend's resume and would probably fill in online applications for her. He is a much better writer than she is and he adds a lot of "fluff" to really make her sound good.

Comment

I feel ya dog! Interviews are such a pain in the ass. Like there's 100s of books out there about the right way to get a job, the right things to say, the right way to sit, the right answer to every question...but you have to figure out which book did this guy read?

For instance, some poeple say never, ever mention money in an interview. If you list money as one of your motivations, it shows your greedy and don't care about the company.

But wait wait, another book says it's a perfectly fine answer, because it's a good solid motivator. You know someone who loves money will work hard for it.

So which answer is right? I'm sure everyone here will have a different opinion on it.

Then there's personal preferences too...is this boss a boss who wants ass kissing? Does he care that I know the company history? Is he someone who sees ass kissing as phony? Does HE ever know the company history?

These things will trip you every time.

So you know what I do at interviews? I just show up as myself. I don't read the interview techniques, I don't care about following a pattern or winning some game.

And guess what - I NEVER get the really good jobs, but I wouldn't have gotten them anyway and at least I know I was at my best.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                You jsut made me think of something. Ive often asked the question why does it seem Joe Blow the goof off who goes through so many jobs seem to be able to get so many jobs.

Joe Blow knows how to market himself.
                I suspect Joe Blow is also wiling to lie.
                "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                  So you know what I do at interviews? I just show up as myself. I don't read the interview techniques, I don't care about following a pattern or winning some game.
                  Yeah, every time I read an article on interview techniques, I only get more upset and frusturated. They say I should practice and prepare, but that only gets me more worked up and worried about it, which is not a good thing. Plus they don't know the company and what's going to be acceptable. I think the only good thing those articles offer are common questions that you will be asked, but since I've had quite a few interviews so far, I'm familular with the questions.

On a more positive note, I think I like group interviews better. Even if they are longer and I am up against those with actual experience, at least the attention isn't all on you. Plus I can study how other people answer the questions to get an idea for future interviews (which there will be plenty of). The only thing I find annoying is how they play little games to trip you up when asking questions. They'll go around in a circle, but will change the question halfway through. Then they skip a person for the third question and then go back to the first question. It doesn't even trip me up that much, but it's annoying because it reeks of psuedo psychology.

Comment

Working...
                  X