Tantrum-throwing kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
    If kids don't go out with their families, the families don't learn to manage them in public. And the kids don't learn how to manage themselves in public. A screaming kid in a grocery store is a reality of life. Deal. A screaming kid in a theater, a restaurant, or a movie house, you have a right to be annoyed. Context is everything.
    Not sure if this is/was directed toward me, but I was 'dealing' just fine. I was simply making the observation that it perhaps could have been handled differently since there were three adults there.

Also, a fussing, crying child in a grocery store is a reality of life. I agree with that. However, a child throwing a full-on fit and shrieking ear-piercing screams? No. I'm sorry, but no one should have to listen to that. Sure, the reality is that it's going to happen from time-to-time, and I can certainly sympathize with parents because I've been there. It's all in how you manage and deal with it.

Comment

Naw, it wasn't directed at you. It was directed at people in general whose butts pucker up when they hear a screaming kid in a grocery store. To be honest, it makes my butt pucker up, too when some kid goes off at that frequency that makes you wonder how on earth human vocal cords make that sound.

I was just making the point that some places you should kind of expect it and go in with the attitude that it's just how it is. Some places you shouldn't have to expect it and shouldn't have to endure it.

Comment

I get irritated with screaming kids in the supermarket, but then, I also get irritated at mobile phones going off, audible ipod music, people who feel no-one can hear them unless they bellow at the top of their voices and squeaky trolley wheels. I just try and tune it all out.

However, no child should be allowed to shriek at the top of their voice; especially if they're doing it for fun; for example, cuz they like to hear the echo of their screams hitting the walls, or cuz they just want to see how loud they can be. That's when it's time for the parent to tell them to shut up or if need be, take them out somewhere where they can be disciplined.
        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I'm with Kink and the "fun bag".

I have one made up. Usually right there are the front door, just waiting to be grabbed and walked out the door with the rest of us.

However, right now. She much prefers our iPhones. (Both of ours). On my iPhone, she can watch videos I've add to the iPod section (videos like Backyardigans, Jack's Big Music Show, etc.). Plus, in restaurants like Smokey Bones, which have free wifi, she can watch Power Rangers vids on YouTube.

On hubs' iPhone, she can play Fruit Ninja and Bubble Burst (I think that's it's name).

My in-laws, especially BIL#1 and his wife, always gave me weird looks when, we'd all be at the restaurant, I'd pull out my bag of tricks and have Child Rum color or play with her DS or read a book. But my child was the only one in the group who wasn't screaming and running around.
          Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
            After a couple of passes at this, the mother finally said "Here, honey. Here's my cell phone", and proceeds to hand her a fairly expensive looking android-type phone to play with.
            Yikes, she must have been desperate. I wouldn't trust young kids with such an expensive item.

But yeah, I think someone should have taken him outside or given him a favorite toy or something to keep him occupied. I remember being taken to the store as a kid... except I liked going there. It was an adventure to me. I don't remember if I ever threw fits though.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
              Also back before the world was infested with kidnappers, I used to sit in the car by myself for incredibly long periods of time...honestly don't see why it's a major issue. Altho I live in a pretty rural area. But I've been known to park right in front of the front doors at the Circle K to run in and grab something real quick.
              It's a major issue because a 'run in real quick' could stretch into a long time. Ever had to sit in a car on a sunny day with all the windows closed for 5 minutes? Gets kinda warm and so you wind down a window or turn on the air.

Now what if you were 3? Or in a baby seat? And 5 minutes turns into 15 minutes or 30 minutes?

The below link is kinda scientific but have a look at some of the graphs that show just how hot it gets. Page 8 shows Utes/Trucks and page 10 shows cracked opened windows vs closed. (temps are in degrees celsius)

http://www.racq.com.au/__data/assets...re_in_Cars.pdf

Do you still want to leave a child alone in a car?

Comment

What about, though, when it's cooler out and/or the kid's more like ten?
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

what the grandma(?) was a form of distraction. or i've told you no but here is a yes.
                  and my guess is up to a certain age that works or for me it does. Daughter will grab at the bread in the cart as she sits up front but i tell her no yet hand her a yes that is ok if its broken, damaged or what not which is her toy.

yes its bad that the kid screamed and threw a fit but i guess it depends on the age?

and for the reference my daughter is 23 months old. one month away from being two and so far her worst fit is screaming loud once or twice before stopping.
                  if i have to take daughter out to the car fine, yes it messes up my errands but its not the end of the world (even if i have only so much time) i don't understand why some parents cannot realize that there are worse things or life will go on....no wait yes i do. nevermind
                  Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                  Yeah we're so over, over
                  Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    Naw, it wasn't directed at you. It was directed at people in general whose butts pucker up when they hear a screaming kid in a grocery store. To be honest, it makes my butt pucker up, too when some kid goes off at that frequency that makes you wonder how on earth human vocal cords make that sound.

I was just making the point that some places you should kind of expect it and go in with the attitude that it's just how it is. Some places you shouldn't have to expect it and shouldn't have to endure it.
                    yes kids scream. yes its bad, buuuut depending on the age that's all they know how to express themselves with all these emotions!
                    infant: hey i'm hungry/tired/diaper needs changing = cry (thats they only way an infant knows what to do for the first three months or so)
                    toddler: i'm frustrated, sad, angry, over excited and i am still learning to talk oh this is confusing = cry scream, carry on
                    but thats from experience and from experience with kids up to 5 years old

what do adults do when they get hungry, or cranky or tired? well same with a kid only kids do what they do best, express themselves vocally.
                    this is however for well behaved kids who have good parents. sooo...yeah
                    sooo tired of getting glares from people who don't have kids when daughter is behaving. its like i ruined their day because they assume she is automatically going to misbehave because i am there.
                    Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                    Yeah we're so over, over
                    Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

I saw something even better today at Target. Not one, but two mothers hauling screaming children into the restroom. In the shopping carts. So, both of them had children that were throwing a fit, and so decided to take them to the bathroom. That's fine. But then they didn't even have the common damn courtesy to take the kids out of the carts first. Or the woman in Goodwill blissfully ignoring her 4 year old (?) daughter who was running around the store yelling, "Mommy Mommy MOMMMMIIEEEEEE"

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                        What about, though, when it's cooler out and/or the kid's more like ten?
                        10 is different. At ten, you can tell that you are getting too hot. You can open the window more or get out of the car. At ten, we were allowed to sit in the car on our own for a short time. But there was 3 of us. Pretty sure no one would have wanted to steal us. And if it was hot, we would have to go in to the stores with mum.

I was one of those ear-piercing screamers. My mum gave up taking me to the supermarket pretty quick. I would be fine until she went into Safeway. Then I wouldn't stop screaming until we left. I was 5 before I went back into a supermarket for longer than 5 minutes

I wince when I hear a child scream, but that is because too many loud rock concerts have messed up my hearing. High pitched noises feel like a dentist drill going through my ear drum. Even sirens hurt.

Comment

I never went to the supermarket til I was ten years old; my mum used to go alone, leaving Dad to look after me and my brothers. So the supermarket became this magical place that we were priviledged in visiting when we were finally allowed, one at a time, to attend with Mum. XD I used to enjoy helping with the shopping and getting a treat like a small can of Coke afterwards as a reward for being helpful.
                          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                          X