Men who take their shirts off for no reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men who take their shirts off for no reason

I'm sitting out here on my patio, perfectly comfortable in long pants and a t-shirt. My neighbour has decided that it's too damn hot to wear a shirt, and is wandering about in full view of everyone, half naked. No manual labour is being done. He isn't working up a sweat here. He came home five minutes ago in a dress shirt and khakis. He's cracked open a beer and has started the barbecue.

Yes, I know it's his property and he can do what he likes. It's not obscene, it's not illegal, it's just not classy. Put on a goddamned shirt.

I suspect I hold the minority opinion.

No, I agree with you, Boozy. If you're out in public, cover your bits.

Comment

So, because you're comfortable fully dressed, everybody else should be, too? 'Cause we're all the same, right?

That's like your mom forcing you to put on a coat because she's cold.

And it's not like barbecues get warm or anything.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Taking off my shirt in public is something that I usually "can't" do. Let me explain.

I've mentioned this before, but I have a condition called gynecomastia. That's a condition that some men have where their hormones are a little out of whack and because of it they have "man boobs." I'm not fat, either. It doesn't matter how many push-ups or bench presses I do, they're not going away, not unless I get cosmetic surgery that costs several thousand dollars, which obviously I can't do right now.

It's not all that noticeable when I have a shirt on, but if I took it off, you'd see them. Therefore, I really can't take my shirt off around others. Well, I guess I could, but I don't want everyone to see my chest.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          And it's not like barbecues get warm or anything.
          And it's not like dealing with fire while only partially dressed isn't completely unsafe. Or he could just grill in his backyard and out of public view.

Comment

In the summer, I like to mow the yard with my shirt off. Cooler and means less laundry to do.

When I'm home and no one else is home that day, I don't bother wearing a shirt when it's warm out. Less laundry, comfy, etc. And sometimes I have to go outside. Get mail. Get the newspaper. The horror.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Depending on the weather, I am much more comfortable shirtless, especially outdoors. I Don´t give a damn what anyone else thinks of it.

Comment

I'd be more comfortable wearing slippers and sweatpants to work, but I don't because it's inappropriate.

At some point in time, "it's more comfortable" became a valid excuse to look like a slob in public. I think that's a shame. Putting on clothes when you leave the house is a sign of respect for your neighbors, and is the least one should be expected to do.

Comment

Clothes, yes. Exactly what those clothes must cover in order to be acceptable is debatable.

Honestly, for me it depends on what he looks like I would never inflict the sight of me in anything less than shorts and a shirt on anybody.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

the people who posted in this thread saying that dictating other people's appearances is bad, but then do just that here make me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                      I'm sitting out here on my patio, perfectly comfortable in long pants and a t-shirt. My neighbour has decided that it's too damn hot to wear a shirt, and is wandering about in full view of everyone, half naked.

Yes, I know it's his property and he can do what he likes. It's not obscene, it's not illegal, it's just not classy. Put on a goddamned shirt.
                      You jelly?

Actually, I have to agree with you. I don't go without a shirt unless I'm in my house (I do whatever I damn well please, class or no class) or I'm outside working out or just working. Just meandering around without a shirt? Not my style.
                      Crooked banks around the world would gladly give a loan today so if you ever miss a payment they can take your home away.

Comment

I don't really think it's sucky if a guy goes shirtless in his own yard. May not always be the best of sights, but it's better than seeing shirtless guys out and about.

Unless, of course, they're hot. Then I'm probably going to trip and fall staring.

Comment

Yeah. If the guy was hot, everybody would be say, "Oh, yeah, you can run around without a shirt on any time." But if he's considered unhot, then going around without a shirt on is a crime again decency.

And I, too, thought of the multiple threads that are running right now about how people don't like other people telling them how they should look on this very board...

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I never said I had a problem with a guy going shirtless in his own yard or in his own house. As long as you aren't naked or doing it just for attention or get upset that someone may notice, fine.

And yeah, I'm more apt to notice and like an attractive guy running up and down the street than a hairy big bellied guy at the park.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                              Yeah. If the guy was hot, everybody would be say, "Oh, yeah, you can run around without a shirt on any time." But if he's considered unhot, then going around without a shirt on is a crime again decency.
                              I purposely did not mention whether this person was attractive or not. It's you who are assuming that he's unattractive.

It doesn't matter either way. Having a six-pack of abs doesn't make standing around half-naked in public any classier.

And I, too, thought of the multiple threads that are running right now about how people don't like other people telling them how they should look on this very board...
                              Does no one see the difference between someone wearing a shirt in a colour one doesn't like and not wearing a shirt at all? This isn't about fashionable clothes, or clothes that everyone will like. It's about having the common decency to wear clothes at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X