No announcement yet.

Nitpicky Professors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or how about taking responsibility for your actions and realizing the only person you can control is YOU, so why sink to their level by being a dick when they provoke you? Oh, because it's satisfying to be an ass, but then be able to turn around and say, "THEY MADE ME DO IT!".

Comment

To get back to the OP, the main frustration of college professors is the fact that students refuse to take responsibility for their own grades. As if it's somehow my fault that they chose to spend all weekend partying instead of doing their assigned work.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
        Ah, but I only become an asshole once they've provoked the asshole out of me. They need to stop being dicks about it and I'll be quite agreeable.
        The police are not being dicks by refusing to believe you when you say you didn't do something. Their job is not to believe you. In fact, believing you is EXACTLY the opposite of their job. Their job is to INVESTIGATE. That makes them, like, PROFESSIONAL disbelievers. Investigating means more than just asking "DId you do this" and accepting no for an answer. It means that if you say you didn't do it, they have to go find evidence you didn't do it. That is what being an investigator MEANS.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
          The police are not being dicks by refusing to believe you when you say you didn't do something. Their job is not to believe you. In fact, believing you is EXACTLY the opposite of their job. Their job is to INVESTIGATE. That makes them, like, PROFESSIONAL disbelievers. Investigating means more than just asking "DId you do this" and accepting no for an answer. It means that if you say you didn't do it, they have to go find evidence you didn't do it. That is what being an investigator MEANS.
          Hey, I'm all for that, but there's limits. Like asking me the same questions over and over again. Showing up at work to intimidate me in front of my boss and co-workers. Acting like they're all smart because they "caught me in a lie" because "Well yesterday you said this happened at 2:25, today you said it was about 2:30, YOU'RE A DAMN LIAR!"

Also...all the stuff that gets pulled out here...it's their job...they cant know i'm telling the truth...they're busy...they're professional disbelievers...these all sound like the things that I say when I'm rationalizing something, which people pounce on and say "That's just a bunch of excuses". That's what I see when I read this stuff. Blah blah blah excuses we suck!

And the best excuses in the world don't trump my right. Not my right to something, just the fact that I am, in fact, right.

Comment

if your son did something that you had reasonable suspicion to believe he was guilty of, but then denied it when you questioned him, would you take him at his word and leave it at that?

also, if you were actually guilty and someone questioned you about it, would you honestly admit your guilt? somehow i think not.

Comment

Not necessarily, but I definitely wouldn't feel right issuing a punishment on something he might possibly have done. Once I asked him, and he said no, I'd move on to the next thing. If there was nothing else to examine, then it's just his word, and there's nothing to refute it, so yeah, I'd leave it alone at that point.

Comment

Wow. No wonder the kid challenges you.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                  To get back to the OP, the main frustration of college professors is the fact that students refuse to take responsibility for their own grades. As if it's somehow my fault that they chose to spend all weekend partying instead of doing their assigned work.
                  I don't think anyone here is saying they should be able to party all weekend and still pass. Our issues (or at least mine) is that professors can fail you (or get you marked down) for petty, stupid reasons. Someone can pass up partying, spend the weekend working on that project, but fail because they didn't write it on the right sheet of paper, showed up 10 minutes late for class on the day it was due, or made some other insignificant error. All because the professor is being a pick ass.

These are obviously extreme examples and have been the exception rather than the rule, but when I run into these professors, it's very annoying. Though fortunately in this case, my confusion with this guy's instructions didn't cost me too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                    Wow. No wonder the kid challenges you.

^-.-^
                    As a child who was ALWAYS being falsely blamed, accused and punished for things I was nowhere near when they happened, it's a sensitive issue for me. As naive as it is, with me, it's pics or it didn't happen. I'd rather let 1000 people get away with something than punish someone for something they didn't do.

Not that I haven't accidently punished Jr. for things he was innocent of, but I always make a point of apologizing to him and letting him know I fucked up. My treatment was usually like "Well I'm sure you're guilty of something so quit whining!"

Comment

There are professors who will mark down things like, spelling a word that has two legitimate spellings the way they don't like ie Color or Colour.

Or mark you down because you didn't structure your sentences using a grammar rule from a language that is not English.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Working...
                      X