No announcement yet.

But M-o-o-mmy...he slapped me first...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But M-o-o-mmy...he slapped me first...

As a mod, I get a little tired of moderating someone for getting into a "back and forth" with another member in a thread.

We issues infractions, or we PM, and every single time, one or the other, or even all involved will come back with, "Yeah, well they were doing it too. I hope they got a wrist slap too."

I'm sorry, but the site has a very clear policy that we do not discuss the disciplinary actions taken against one member with another.

We also have a very clear policy that members are asked to REPORT posts that offend them rather than responding.

So, if you get a wrist slap from a mod for responding rather than reporting, then take the consequences of your actions and move on.

If you didn't bring it to our attention, then how the heck are we to know there is a problem, other than reading snarky back and forth comments to each other? In that case, despite accusations to the contrary, there is no favoritism and everyone involved who didn't report will most assuredly get a slap.
    Next time, just report and you will never have to worry again that you got slapped and they didn't.
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Seems a tad childish to play the "but he started it" or "member x started with the Fratching comments" cards.

Comment

Ill get annoyed by some one who can't or won't defend thier view or opinion with any type of proof, but in that case I pretty much disregard everything that person says and ignore them.

Personal attacks though? Never had one directed at me to my knowledge on Fratching. But I play a lot of Starcraft and am rather entertained by them there.

Its absolutely amazing how many people Ive run across who have had sex with my mom/sister/ variuos female relative or ancestor, and are also going to come to my house to violate me as well.

I just tell them 'dinner and a movie first, Im cheap not easy'.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
        Its absolutely amazing how many people Ive run across who have had sex with my mom/sister/ variuos female relative or ancestor, and are also going to come to my house to violate me as well.

I just tell them 'dinner and a movie first, Im cheap not easy'.

That's funny.
        Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

http://cheezburger.com/Asset/View/5372760064

I even did a study and made this helpful pie chart!

Comment

DANG IT!!! that is 2 post in a row to make me

Please stop it. I can not afford a new monitor.
            I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
            The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Son of a bitch!

Comment

We issues infractions, or we PM, and every single time, one or the other, or even all involved will come back with, "Yeah, well they were doing it too. I hope they got a wrist slap too."

I'm sorry, but the site has a very clear policy that we do not discuss the disciplinary actions taken against one member with another.
                Perhaps they're not asking "Did they get punished too?" But just making sure they're not being singled out, which, despite some people's puppydog butterfly view of the world, does happen. It's just a friendly reminder.

We also have a very clear policy that members are asked to REPORT posts that offend them rather than responding.
                Which is also kinda what they are doing if they say "Well did you punish the other guy too, he was doing it." That's your report. Not only that, but if you read a thread and see guy 1 posting racist comments and you issue infractions against him, you can't act like "Oh I only saw that one guy's posts". You read the thread, you saw the posts, you punish everyone.

I gotta add that I'm sick of the "He started it is lame" argument. We've effectively brainwashed the world into tthinking "It's ok to start shit and then blame the other guy". How about, don't start shit. How about, the guy who started shit and instigated the situation gets the biggest punishment. No wonder bullies thrive so well.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                  just making sure they're not being singled out, which, despite some people's puppydog butterfly view of the world, does happen.
                  Not on CS and fratching, despite what some people may think.
                  A mod team of more than just one person with an axe to grind ensures that doesn't happen, despite some people's dark and negative view of the world.
                  Which is also kinda what they are doing if they say "Well did you punish the other guy too, he was doing it." That's your report.
                  Not according to the site rules.
                  A report is using the proper tool provided and actually pointing out with big boy/girl words that the person has posted something that you find offensive. It is NOT posting a snarky response, and then, when called on it saying, "Well they were snarky too."
                  That is pointing something out after the fact.
                  Not only that, but if you read a thread and see guy 1 posting racist comments and you issue infractions against him, you can't act like "Oh I only saw that one guy's posts". You read the thread, you saw the posts, you punish everyone.
                  And we do! Which is kind of the point of this thread. We don't need a watchdog. Rest assured, if you got smacked for responding to a racist comment, the racist comment was also dealt with.
                  I suggest, before coming back with, "Were they also disciplined?" check the post and see if it looks like a mod has edited. That's usually a pretty good clue.

It does happen often that we don't even see the exchange at all right away.
                  The snarky reply gets reported either by the person on the receiving end, or someone else who knows it is over the line. That's when we go in and moderate, and that's when we say, "We can't read every post. If you are offended, report it."

I gotta add that I'm sick of the "He started it is lame" argument. We've effectively brainwashed the world into tthinking "It's ok to start shit and then blame the other guy".
                  Ummm....that is exactly what you are doing by saying, "He started it."
                  You are blaming the other guy because you chose to fight them.

Nobody can start a fight on their own. The other person has to accept responsibility for the way they choose to respond. There is no shame in just walking away. Every slight or offense does not have to be called out, especially on a message board where there are people whose responsibility it is to keep the peace.
                  Last edited by Ree; 10-31-2011, 05:20 PM.
                  Point to Ponder:

Comment

Nobody can start a fight on their own. The other person has to accept responsibility for the way they choose to respond. There is no shame in just walking away. Every slight or offense does not have to be called out, especially on a message board where there are people whose responsibility it is to keep the peace.
                    That's fine, and I agree that a fight takes 2 people, most of the time. But the way society works today, doling out the appropriate blame is all fucked up. Like guy 1 started it, so he gets +10 blame. Then guy 2 responded, so he gets like +20 blame. This can apply anywhere; message boards, school yard fights, barfights, insults, whatever.

That's what usually happened to me growing up.

Bully: Hey DrFaroohk you big fat retarded faggot!!

DrFaroohk: Hey bully, shut up!

Teacher: DRFAROOHK! HOW DARE YOU USE SUCH INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Awesome, good to know I can call someone a retarded faggot, but I can not tell someone to stop calling me those names. Way to go society! You rock!

Comment

In your example, the teacher may not have heard the other person. Not saying that makes it OK, just saying the teacher may not have heard it.

That can't happen on here on CS, because we can go and do go back to any other posts that may have started or continued the argument. Oh sure, they can try to get rid of the evidence by deleting or editting, but that doesn't hide it from the mod team.
                      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Dammit.

I just got new carpet last Thursday and not all my furniture's moved in yet, for cryin' out loud.
                        If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

I certainly respect the work the mods do on CS. I sometimes frequent other customer sites and on those sites, the mod rules are NEVER evenly or fairly enforced. One day a comment/word will be perfectly fine, the next day using that word means you're a misogynist who perpetrates the downfall of all woman and humanity...because you said someone was "bitchy". And if you were the unfortunate fool who wrote the unacceptable comment of the day, you aren't allowed to defend yourself, even politely. You're accused of perpetrating your foul beliefs and the accusations and retaliating comments become downright VILE. Hell, the mods make it clear the poster is suddenly unwelcome and the poison spewing from others is perfectly ok. So like I said, I have a lot of respect for our mod team on CS.

Comment

^ I think I've been to a couple of those sites.

Comment

Working...
                            X