Christmas in Novemeber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas in Novemeber

Okay... Its the 3rd of November... that gives people PLENTY of time (not that most use it wisely anyway...), to start their Christmas shopping.
    But why are there Christmas decorations all around now?

I can understand that some companies/shopping centres/local businesses are trying to encourage people to start buying like now and avoid the Christmas rush (again... not like many think ahead anyway...)

But I just hate seeing all these Christmas decorations hanging up, trees everywhere, snowflakes on windows (side note/rant: WE LIVE IN AUSTRALIA! WE DON'T HAVE SNOW AT THIS TIME OF YEAR! IT IS SUMMER! Stop trying to sell us wool santa suits, hot food and snow things! Dickheads...).

But... why are they putting all these decorations up... at the start of November? I mean come on... the 14th of November would be ok... but you are starting a month early!

You know why I hate seeing all this up and about?
    It kills the mood for me.
    Christmas for me is seeing family and reflecting the year gone past... and getting some free gifts (yeah yeah... guilty). I don't hate Christmas.

Seeing all these businesses trying to shove "Christmas Spirit" everywhere really kills the feeling for me...

Oh well... Family is more important.

Christmas decorations started going up in my neighbourhood a week before Halloween. -.-

There's one house across from me that doesn't actually take their lights down so much as just unplugs them for the other 8 months of the year.

Comment

To me, ideally, Christmas would still have a two-month buildup, but shifted a month later. The decorations cheer up what is otherwise the dreariest season, winter... except they're taken down when it's just getting going, and are put up when the weather is (here, at least) pleasant and the trees haven't dropped their leaves yet.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

In supermarkets near where I live, Christmas stuff was being sold there in September. O.o
        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
          Christmas decorations started going up in my neighbourhood a week before Halloween. -.-

There's one house across from me that doesn't actually take their lights down so much as just unplugs them for the other 8 months of the year.
          Sounds good to me. Putting those things up is dangerous!

Comment

God this is one of the only good things about Afghanistan. Won't be seeing any Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving.
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
              In supermarkets near where I live, Christmas stuff was being sold there in September. O.o
              Are you near a military base, by any chance? That's the one reason I can really see Xmas starting 'early'...For the cheapest postage, the deadline to mail things out to make it by Xmas for people at various bases overseas....12 Nov. So all the shopping needs to be done, and the stuff mailed out, before most people would want to see anything about Xmas.

Not saying that IS the reason...but near a military base, 'tis a good one.
              Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

Nope; I live in England, and Christmas has been getting earlier and earlier every year. XD
                "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

ugh. our corperate is one of those christmas goes up the day after halloween ends types. so i had to spend today trying to decorate a x-mas tree between customers. and every time a customer bitched at me for putting it up (which was about 1 out of 5 of them) i just nodded and commented on how i hated doing it this early too.

i think i died a little on the inside for every ornament i hung.
                  All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

I was actually happy to see a Christmas tree/display at the grocery store today. It's starting to get rather cold, chilly, and dreary, and it was a nice pick-me-up.

Comment

For me the Christmas season starts November first and doesn't end until a few weeks into January. People who don't agree are welcome to keep their distance, as I understand that not everybody is as festive as I am and that I do tend to grate on people's nerves.

I'm always so happy when the decorations go up early and stay up. Although in the past I have been able to decide not to dislike something anymore* it's not easy to do for something as big as that.

(*You can "not dislike" something without actively liking it, and yes, it IS possible but it takes a lot of effort and usually isn't worth it.)
                      "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
                      We are contented, because he says we are
                      He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

My main issues with Christmas stuff coming out early is that we don't even bother to celebrate the other seasons. I like Halloween because of the costumes. Thanksgiving is all about comfort food and family. The other holidays are important for there own reasons. With the stores doing this I feel like the stores are saying "Consume! Spend!! Screw the meaning of Christmas!"

If an individual person put things out early it means either:
                        1) I love this holiday
                        2) I'm getting this done early to avoid the Snowstorm that will happen when I want to do it
                        3) I want to make this awsome so I need time
                        4) Some combo above
                        "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

My issue is the pushing of the Christmas crap and the music and all the snow/winter themed crap.

No. Please, don't encourage it. Soon enough, I will be missing work or stuck at home because of a 30 inch blizzard. Don't speed that process up. I am not even used to colder air and dead everything yet.

Comment

In my case I'm just honked off at it in general. Not only am I once again on edge for them doing Christmas at Halloween (there was even a Frankenstein's Monster next to a Christmas Tree at a local Walmart), but the first Christmas song I heard was one of the parody songs where they are bitching about Christmas and how it sucks.

Great. Just what I needed to get into the Christmas Spirit.
                            “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Thankfully, music hasn't started playing at the moment... And no singers are in sight yet...

But when they come in... Well..
                              Its like there is an invisable competition to see who can make the most bloody noise.

Contestants include:
                              The 'classical' Christmas songs turned up to "ear bleeding" level of sound.
                              The singers bellowing out songs, with the odd Christmas line put into them, sound level above that of the Christmas songs that the stores are spewing out.
                              The crowds... screaming, crying, angry, singing (screeching...), laughing, pushy, grabby, OMG-Last-minute-present-shopping... drowning out both the shops songs and the singers.

And guess what?
                              The shops decide that their music can't be heard... so crank it up.
                              And the cycle goes on.

Comment

Working...
                              X