No announcement yet.

Overly strict parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parents were strict in some ways; for example, they made sure that we kids behaved in public, went to bed on time, etc. However, they didn't put their foot down on us unnecessarily. I always got to choose my costume for Halloween, as long as I made it myself. I could dress how I wanted, if I paid for it myself. I could watch anything on the TV, as long as my brothers got to choose a programme, too.

Basically, bounderies were set, but I was also allowed freedom. For example; when I was a kid, I emphatically did not want to wear frilly dresses and play with dolls. Instead, I wanted to wear my older brother's hand me downs, and play with toy guns and cars. Some parents would have refused to allow me to dress and play how I wanted; my parents let me be. I've seen parents who do force their girls to dress and play like they think girls ought to dress and play justify their stance by saying that they don't want their daughters to grow up butch/lesbian/unable to be ladylike/etc. Bullshit. If you repress your children when they wish to express themselves, they're only going to be unhappy and probably rebel later on to excess.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
    X