Remembrance Day talkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembrance Day talkers

Saw this pop up in my thread and it reminded me of several stories.

In Australia, we have two types of Remembrance Days:
    Remembrance Day itself, on the 11th of November, the day that WW1 offically ended.

ANZAC Day, 25th April, Remembers all the Diggers (soldiers) who have fought in the wars. Once it was to honor Australia's First Military Action as a nation and honor those fallen. Now it is for all who have fallen in conflict.

ANZAC is growing stronger with the younger generation as well (which makes me happy )

We honor those who have fallen or are still in the line of duty with silence and rememberance on both these days.

But... There is hate here, else I would of found a different section to post this in.

When it comes to the moment of silence... you have JABBERING MORONS who ruin it.
    How hard is it... to stay quiet... for a BRIEF moment!?

Two girls, during my last year of high school, decided to talk and laugh through the silence. Ignorant, selfish and rude.
    This I hate with a passion. I hope their voice boxes croak.

ANZAC Day? I'm glad it's observed and all, but y'all really shouldn't make your holidays' names sound like medicine

But yes, people should shut up for moments of silence. Even if you have no desire to honor those it's meant to honor or think it's a silly way of doing so, there's at least no reason to be rude to those who *do* wish to observe it by disturbing it.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

People should be free to make a moment of silence to honor those they want to honor.

But people shouldn´t be forced to make a moment of silence if they do not want to.

in what circustance was this moment of silence taken(i.e.: was it a memorial service the voluntarilly went to, or was it something mandatory like a school function)?
      Last edited by SkullKing; 09-28-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

It's a cultural thing, to the extent that shopping centres (in my area, anyway) even participate by having a warning over the PA system and then announcing the start and finish. Talking during the minute of silence is highly frowned upon as it's considered very rude and very disrespectful.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          ANZAC Day?
          ANZAC = Australian and New Zealand Army Corps

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
          People should be free to make a moment of silence fto honor those they want to honor.

But people shouldn´t be forced to make a moment of silence if they do not want to.

in what circustance was this moment of silence taken(i.e.: was it a memorial service the voluntarilly went to, or was it something mandatory like a school function)?
          All schools in Australia observe a minutes silence, the majority of Australia does, there is a broadcast memorial service with a minutes silence at 11am Usually accompanied by The Last Post, most shopping complexes will stop trading for the minute with all lights turned off and most factories and warehouses will stop for the minute also, it's pretty much accepted that you shut the fuck up and I and others have no problem telling people that to their face.
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
            All schools in Australia observe a minutes silence, the majority of Australia does, there is a broadcast memorial service with a minutes silence at 11am Usually accompanied by The Last Post, most shopping complexes will stop trading for the minute with all lights turned off and most factories and warehouses will stop for the minute also, it's pretty much accepted that you shut the fuck up and I and others have no problem telling people that to their face.
            Pretty much what he said.

Also to clarify, ANZAC day refers to the troops who fought during WWI at Gallipolli, although nowadays it also refers to any member of an army who has fallen. Remembrance Day is basically referring to the end of WWI.

My old job once opened a minute later than usual to put on the minute silence (this was a Sunday) and there's actually a Chaser sequence where one of the Chaser folks manages to get people to actually observe a minute's silence over the PA system-when it wasn't even Remembrance Day!

Also a few fun facts I thought I'd share regarding ANZAC Day:

-In most states, gambling is illegal unless it's in a designated venue (i.e. TAB, horseraces, dog races etc.) however on ANZAC Day, you are legally allowed to play what's known as two-up, anywhere, as it was popular with ANZAC soldiers during WWI.
            -Normally around that time, the football season has begun, so games are usually being played at this time. Every ANZAC day has what's known as the "ANZAC Day Clash" between two football teams.
            -There are several designated memorials for ANZACs and any soldiers really, the night before, Scout, Guide and anyone who's interested will do a vigil.

Comment

It is not mandatory. The whole nation seems to just stop talking for a full minute. We choose to do this of our own will, honoring those in whatever way we wish.
              And really... its not that hard to shut the fuck up for a full minute.

Thats what annoys me. People can't spare 1 minute of their time and has to ruin it for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Iseeyouthere View Post
                It is not mandatory. The whole nation seems to just stop talking for a full minute. We choose to do this of our own will, honoring those in whatever way we wish.
                And really... its not that hard to shut the fuck up for a full minute.

Thats what annoys me. People can't spare 1 minute of their time and has to ruin it for all.
                Even if you are still slowly walking, just keep your yap shut for a few minutes >.> NOT THAT HARD PEOPLE!

Comment

I agree. Even if you don't care to observe it per se, you take it away from others when you keep flapping your gums while everyone else is trying to be respectful. It's not any sort of tribulation to just shut up for a moment or two. It doesn't cost anything. Just stand there and have a little respect for those around you. .

I really like this vid about this. :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo
                  Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 11-08-2011, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Since this seem to be a cultural thing I won´t comment, since I don´t think I can gauge how bad it is.

My experience with moments of silence seems to be vastly different.

Comment

Since this seem to be a cultural thing I won´t comment, since I don´t think I can gauge how bad it is.

My experience with moments of silence seems to be vastly different.
                      Probably a good analogy to use is like someone continually talking during a priest reciting a prayer at a funeral. Even if you aren't necessarily religious, you still shut up while the prayer is being recited.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                        Probably a good analogy to use is like someone continually talking during a priest reciting a prayer at a funeral. Even if you aren't necessarily religious, you still shut up while the prayer is being recited.
                        QFT.

You let others have their moment to remember. All they ask is that you stay silent as well.
                        I've seen people get the cold shoulder for the rest of the day when they talk during the silence.

Comment

People should be free to make a moment of silence fto honor those they want to honor.

And the fact that you have the freedom to make a statement like that, and the freedom to take a moment of silence or not, is exactly the reason why people should be taking that moment of silence, and be grateful for it, in my opinion.

It's only a minute.

And, like RecoveringKinkoid, this is also still my favourite Remembrance Day message.
                          Last edited by Ree; 11-09-2011, 01:29 AM.
                          Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Agreed. Also, once your child is school age and understands the concept of "sit down and shut up", you should make sure that they are silent, too. Doesn't take much; just an explanation to them beforehand; most stores do a series of announcements over the tannoy from ten minutes onward.

I just don't see why some people can't shut the fuck up for TWO FUCKING MINUTES. It's not hard. It won't hurt. It won't cost anything. Even if you don't believe in it, just respect the wishes of those who wish to honour those who gave their lives for our collective freedom by keeping your trap shut tight.
                            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Indeed, there's 525600 minutes in the year, it's not that hard to shut up for 1 or 2 of them once a year to show some respect for the people who fought for you to have those minutes to do something with.
                              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X