Rabble rabble rabble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabble rabble rabble

I talk to my mom on the phone pretty often. I try to keep the conversations short, but she has a tendency to really rabble on and on and on about a subject. Or she takes forever to tell a story, with tons of embellishments and unnecessary details. I can't even think of a good example right off the top of my head because most of the time when she tells a story, I tune out or forget the useless details by the end of it. If it's actually something interesting and I tell my husband, it might take me 5 minutes to tell him a story it took my mom 15 minutes to tell me, and then I think, how did she drag that out so long??

She also doesn't know when or how to hang up the phone, which is really annoying when I have something to do. "I gotta get going, Mom" will result in her talking for 10 more minutes before she hangs up. I have to interrupt whatever she's saying to get off the phone with her.

Here's an example from last night. I called to tell her a funny story that happened earlier in the day. I started by saying, "I have something funny to tell you, but I can't talk for too long 'cuz I have to go make dinner soon." So I told her my story, which took maybe 5 minutes, then we talked about it for a few minutes, and I was just about to tell her I was gonna go make dinner when she started talking about Pinterest. Do I know Pinterest, have I seen it, isn't it cool? On and on and on for like 15 minutes. Finally I interrupted her.

Me: I really gotta get going, Mom, I have to go make dinner.
    Her: Oh, okay! What are you making?
    Me: Soup.
    Her: Ooh! Squash soup?
    Me: Uhh, no, chicken soup.
    Her: Ooh! Chicken noodle soup??
    Me: No -- look, I'll tell you about it later, I really gotta go, okay?

The soup was actually a Greek lemon chicken soup, which she's had at a local restaurant before but has never made, and I knew that if I told her what it was, she'd want the recipe and want to know where I found the recipe and what made me decide to make that tonight and a bunch of other BS, so I hung up before it could get that far.

Seriously, how hard is it to hang up when someone says "I gotta go now"?

Um... Might I suggest communication via email?

I've been known to stay up and chat with people way past everybody's bedtimes, but that was a mutual choice, not me talking just to keep their interest.

Maybe she could use a penpal?

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I feel ya on this one.

My mom does the same thing. She gives details that dont matter and that I could care less about. It takes her 10 minutes to tell me something that should take a minute to tell me.

This may be slightly worse for me cause Im male. For the most part guys dont want useless information. I especially hate the pre and post game shows for sports... who won? who lost? was there any awesome plays or stupid screw ups?

Thats it. Let it go after that. Dont care about anything else.

Comment

Working...
      X