People who think any way besides theirs is wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who think any way besides theirs is wrong

I absolutely loathe people like this and to me it only makes them sound like idiots! Most examples of this I've seen in regards to how people discipline their children, I have seen or heard people say "no wonder their kids are like they are...they don't believe in spanking, etc. etc." or "if you don't change your opinion after a debate, you must not be interested in debating"

It would be nice if people like this could buy or clue, or not share their opinions and make themselves ridiculous.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." as Emerson so eloquently put it.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by kibbles View Post
      "if you don't change your opinion after a debate, you must not be interested in debating"
      Shouldn't that apply to them too?

I can only change my opinion when there's actual convincing evidence on the other side. Most of the time, those who cry "wah wah my opinion isn't being respected!" have relied on logical falicies and other shitty debate tactics.

Comment

I would say that if you don't examine your opinion during and after a debate, then it wasn't a debate.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
          Shouldn't that apply to them too?

I can only change my opinion when there's actual convincing evidence on the other side. Most of the time, those who cry "wah wah my opinion isn't being respected!" have relied on logical falicies and other shitty debate tactics.
          I agree wholeheartedly...I like debating because it gives a chance to see other's opinions. But some people seem to want to debate just to change someone's opinions and if that's not accomplished they figure the debate is over.

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
          I would say that if you don't examine your opinion during and after a debate, then it wasn't a debate.

Rapscallion
          Very true, but sometimes your opinion doesn't change a whole lot even after hearing another side.

I see what you are saying though..especially if someone says "well that's my opinion and that's that"
          Last edited by Peppergirl; 11-10-2011, 09:15 PM. Reason: merged :)

Comment

A discussion where people are forced to re-examine their positions is a debate. A discussion where nobody changes their minds regardless is an argument. >.>

Comment

I've got an aunt whos like that.

Its always her way or no way.
              We don't talk to her anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                A discussion where people are forced to re-examine their positions is a debate. A discussion where nobody changes their minds regardless is an argument. >.>
                I don't quite agree. There are good points on, for example, the conservative and liberal sides of politics. Person A may argue that the left is better for its values, and person B thinks the right is superior for their values.

After a political debate, both may have re-examined their particular views and found them still favourable, having argued back and forth about particular aspects. They don't have to change their views or who they vote for in order to say a debate has or hasn't happened - they could remain of the same opposing opinions. It can be subjective.

I'll always listen to advice. I won't necessarily take it, or someone else's opinion, but I'll always listen.

Rapscallion
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Gk didn't say that anybody had to change their views; merely that to really be debating rather than arguing, they have to at least be open to the possibility, no matter how small, that there is information that could cause them to change their position.

Just shouting your beliefs at the other side and trying to drag them to your side without any reflection that maybe, possibly, your side isn't the best thing ever is just arguing, not debating.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

What I said was that you don't have to change your mind to have a debate. You can still be right in your particular view as can the other person and still have opposing views after a debate, and that isn't necessarily an argument.

Rapscallion
                    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

You said you didn't agree because people don't have to change their minds to have a debate. Except that Gravekeeper never said anything about anyone changing their minds, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with as you appear to be re-stating the same thing he said.

^-.-^

Comment

This thread is so meta.

Debates can be useful when the subject is a matter of opinion. However, facts are not determined by debate. This is why many prominent scientists refuse to debate creationists. The creationist can spew loads of verbal diarrhea (commonly called the Gish gallop), and it takes more time than the scientist has to refute it all. Frequently, the creationist will appear to have "won" the debate, even though the only things they've offered are lies and omissions.

Debates (formal debates, especially) tend to be won by the better speaker, not the one who has facts on their side.
                        "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

I refuse to ever debate religion for pretty much the reasons Ghel stated.

Also, love the StarTrek reference in the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                            Except that Gravekeeper never said anything about anyone changing their minds,
                            Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                            A discussion where nobody changes their minds regardless is an argument. >.>
                            Oh, right.

Rapscallion
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

My bad.

I need to stop posting from work (not likely, tho); I keep mis-reading stuff. >_<

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                              X