Poorly Designed Phone Exchanges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poorly Designed Phone Exchanges

I don't have to make a lot of phone calls in the course of my duties at work, but when I do, they're often of a timely nature. An example would be me calling to get a corrected credit card number so that the customer's urgent order can actually ship today like they require.

But every so often I run into an automated phone system that is set up by someone who hates the idea of their company being able to be contacted by the outside world.

One sin against communication is the inability to reach a generic gatekeeper, aka a receptionist. There is no excuse for a system designed in such a way that you cannot reach a live person without being in possession of a working extension. Sometimes the question is as simple as "Is your address 1601 Main St or is it 1001 Main St?" I should not have to jump through hoops and leave a voice mail in a general mailbox that may or may not be returned in a timely fashion for a question that could be answered in less than a minute.

Another anti-communication crime is to have an automated system in place and then not provide any manner in which a caller can find the voicemail extension for the person for whom they wish to leave a message. If you're not going to let your callers talk to a live person (or if it's after hours), then at least have the decency to have some sort of feature so that people can find who they're looking for. First name would be best. Last name is acceptable, but only if your employees are diligent about sharing their full names, and requiring that the caller know the correct department is just being sadistic and anti-social.

Finally, ensure that the general mailbox has enough room for more than a half dozen messages and keep it clean. There is nothing that screams "We can't be arsed to act like a real company" like having an automated phone system that answers, dumps the caller to the general voicemail box, then tells them that box is full and disconnects.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Those wonderful phone systems are generally pbx's...just and fyi from someone in the phone biz

But yeah they can be a pain in the butt if they aren't setup right.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

If you're not going to let your callers talk to a live person (or if it's after hours), then at least have the decency to have some sort of feature so that people can find who they're looking for. First name would be best. Last name is acceptable, but only if your employees are diligent about sharing their full names, and requiring that the caller know the correct department is just being sadistic and anti-social.
      Or that there are simply too many for a single list. It may not be a perfect solution, but it's a fairly obvious way to stop you from having to listen to a list of a hundred or more names, some of which may be similar.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

There was a national call off line for one of my employers. All the employees nationwide had to call this number to call off of work.

If you are REALLY sick, remaining coherent enough to remember to call back because the voicemail box is full isnt a realistic expectation.

Comment

What I hate are extremely long intros. Like "Hello caller, we are so and so company, our hours are from this time to that time and we are currently running this promotion, also if you have mobile-"

SHUT UP AND GET TO THE POINT!

Just make an option that lets me skip the bullshit and get to the numbers. But apparently telling me information that a monkey could figure out is more important that letting me make a quick call.

Yeah, automated phone systems can be a royal PITA.

Comment

I've actually run into some helpful and intuitive automated systems, mostly for huge companies that expect their client-base to be calling them regularly, but most are just poorly thought out.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That's pretty much the point a lot of the time though, isn't it? Do everything they can to keep the customer away from a live agent, because the live agent costs quite a bit more money than the automated line does? -.-

Comment

That only helps until the point where your customers/vendors are so fed up they start playing extension roulette just to find a live person to answer their question, which irritates everybody and wastes time all around. All for want of a single human being that doesn't even have to be that highly trained.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                X