Attention Needers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Needers

It's probably going to come across like I'm some isolated hermit asshole, but I'm willing to take that risk. My inspiration for this post was because I was reading Dear Abby (took break alone at work and only had newspapers to read). As usual, she was being her holier than thou twat self. Some woman had written because she was upset that her husband constantly bugs her while she's trying to read, no matter what it's about, and Dear Abby had to take the moral high ground that people are more important than books and relationships are more important than your own hobbies, is what I got out of it.

Anywho, it got me to thinking myself as well.

Every morning after work, I usually text my bf and give him the low down of the past night's insanity and going-ons while I eat breakfast or play with my pets and see my parents. Naturally, I do spend time talking with my family and whatnot, but every time my phone vibrates, my mom will sigh or stomp her foot (don't ask about that either, an almost 50 year old woman stomping her feet) that I'm ignoring everyone just for my phone. I drove HERE, stopped HERE, I'm talking with you guys. I do not stop talking or immediately answer every single text. My mom talks with me while also online chatting with people or looking on Facebook, I don't yell at her for that.

And then on the other side of that, you have the bf, who, if you don't answer immediately, thinks I fell asleep or got mad at him or don't want to talk to him. Not all the time, he understands I don't drive and text and that I do run errands also, but if I start a topic and then don't answer for a while, for example. A lot of times on Friday while I'm changing loads of laundry and laying out my air-dry stuff and it takes several minutes, I get these pity text messages "I guess you're busy" or "I guess you feel asleep. Talk to you later bye". RRRR. Am I not allowed to pee or do my laundry?

Or what bugs me is when you rent a movie or whatever, and you're with someone who just wants to kiss or get physical. Call me an ice bitch, but I might actually want to WATCH the movie. It's not just about the cost of the movie, we're not 16 anymore and it's not just put in a movie so we can have sex or make out. We can cuddle and whatnot, but I want to watch this.

My little brother's gf is obsessed with them having their "cuddle time". I mean, she has gone off the damn deep end because my family has scheduled supper or some activity and she isn't able to come over and cuddle with him or spend time with him. Even with his recent health problems and hospital stint, she was being selfish and only thinking of herself, instead of the fact that he NEEDED to rest and stay on the couch by himself, so he didn't rip the bag out of his side that was attached to him.

What is with people who cannot wrap their heads around someone else's free time or what they may want or have to do? Sometimes I just want to throw the phone out the window when I can hear it buzzing away while I'm trying to get ready for work.

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
    And then on the other side of that, you have the bf, who, if you don't answer immediately, thinks I fell asleep or got mad at him or don't want to talk to him.

My little brother's gf is obsessed with them having their "cuddle time". I mean, she has gone off the damn deep end because my family has scheduled supper or some activity and she isn't able to come over and cuddle with him or spend time with him.
    Possible 'time to get the hell out' relationshop warning signs here.

Comment

Not necessarily. He's very awkward. I've been trying to make things work because I really like him, but one of my pet peeves is how insecure he can be. Stuff like that is his insecurity thinking "Oh gee she quit talking she must not like me what did I do wrong?" Yeah, irritating, but not a red flag.

My little brother's gf? It'll be a cold day in hell before he sends her packing.

Comment

I probably at least think that of my bf sometimes because I am needy but I also at least try to remember that he has a life. And I don't do the PA text messages/emails either.

I hate when people do that. I have a friend I love dearly, but if I don't text her back within a certain amount of time (and she's been getting better about this, too, it takes longer), she starts texting me, asking if I'm ok, is everything all right...YES, I just didn't want to write another text for a while! Or I'm busy! It doesn't mean I've suddenly been cornered by a rabid wolverine!
        "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Me thinks this is a case of not growing up past high school and never getting past the Twilight concept of relationships. "OMFG WE R LIKE SOOOOO IN LOVE AND SPEND EVERY SINGLE MINUTE TOGETHER ALL THE TIME".

Everyone needs some me time, some more so than others. People can have interests outside of their partner. -.-

Comment

You're quite right GK. I'm inclined to believe it's a lack of emotional maturity. A sense of not being happy with ones self, and attaching to another and not understanding how special time to yourself and your own hobbies and interests are. Of course, I'm not the most secure or happy person, but I enjoy my lone time and what I like to do alone or with friends. I would think someone as introverted as my bf would be fine, but it's not the case. It also doesn't help that he's never had a girlfriend, and I think he went into this with extremely backwards and wrong expectations of how relationships are "supposed" to work, and he's finding it not that way.

Then again, with clingy friends and family members, people who have been this way for years, I don't know how they can't mature and quit acting that way. It's irritating.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
              It's probably going to come across like I'm some isolated hermit asshole, but I'm willing to take that risk. My inspiration for this post was because I was reading Dear Abby (took break alone at work and only had newspapers to read). As usual, she was being her holier than thou twat self. Some woman had written because she was upset that her husband constantly bugs her while she's trying to read, no matter what it's about, and Dear Abby had to take the moral high ground that people are more important than books and relationships are more important than your own hobbies, is what I got out of it.

read the same article Blas and thought, fine if the husband wants attention but he could have picked a better time to bother the wife than when she wants her personal time. now who was being inconsiderate? him or abby?

its not that the book was more important it was that he could have picked a better time to get attention from her or ask for some time.
              one of the few responses of hers that rubbed me the wrong way

some people are more inclined for personal/private time than needing time with others.
              Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
              Yeah we're so over, over
              Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

It's officially deer hunting season. Baby brother and Dad went up nort' to bum egypt woods, obviously NO CELL RECEPTION......

His stupid gf kept bothering him, and she made a nasty post on his FB wall, in her mind game way, that she wanted deer hunting stories.

She even refused to stop bugging him while he was trying to drive home tonight. The roads up north are much worse right now than the ones here, and he said he'd call her when.he.got.home and ate something and showered.

Sure enough, he walks in the door, and I can hear his phone vibrating nonstop in his overalls, and he has a Look on his face, as if to say, if this phone hadn't been $200 I'd throw it out in the snow right now.

My mom doesn't help matters, she butts right in to the drama and tries to "remind" his gf that he's not allowed to use his phone at work, or that this weekend they were out in the woods hunting and couldn't use their phones.

Comment

*Nods* My god that is so annoying. I like to spend some of my time surfing the internet it's one of my hobbies and a great way to unwind. I had an exgf that couldn't stand to leave me alone even long enough to do that. She would sit there watching me surf the web.

We lived together at the time and I could almost understand if we were in the middle of nowhere but we were a short 15 minute walk from the bus stop and we lived in the milddle of the city.

She seemed physically incapable of just leaving me alone to do my own thing.
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

Working...
                  X