innovation is scary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• innovation is scary

Seriously, people in Utah are so small minded when it comes to innovation.
    UDOT (an agency I rarely say nice things about and for good reason) has a very tough job at trying to move more cars over the same physical space without actually having money to do anything (mainly because they wasted $13 million to try to hide a shady bidding deal) so they have been looking at new interchange configurations that can be implemented for minimal extra cost.
    The three that they have come up with (and by come up with I mean they've stolen from other states) are
    The continuous flow intersection
    The Diverging Diamond interchange
    Thru Turn intersection

These are all relatively simple and proven designs... but oh how people are bitching that they are being expected to learn how to drive on new interchanges (umm... you follow signs and markings... sounds a lot like all driving)
    With the thru turns a lot of Utahns are now just making illegal left hand turns at the intersection anyway, because damnit, following signs for how to use an incredibly simple new design is just too terrifying.

Seriously, I thought that I was used to Utahns fear of progress... especially the expensive kind... but seriously, people here would rather we spend millions of dollars building more traditional grade separated interchanges for higher volume intersections or deal with longer and longer delays than try something new.
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Similar, we had a giant addition to the freeway built in a few years ago, that would combine 2 major highways and intertwine all of them in a few spots, to make it easier than driving all over and around to get from highway to highway.

It also has freeway speeds, it IS a freeway. And yet, people treat it like it's just a backroad or an extension to the 50 mph highway just a few miles away.

Pisses me off to no end. People don't know how to get up to speed properly, or merge, or pay attention. This road should be treated the SAME as every major freeway, because it IS a freeway, not some butt country bumpkin backroad that you piddle your ass around on. Fucking MOVE IT or go back to driving in the sticks.

Comment

They recently put in a bunch of roundabouts in my city, and no one knows how to use them. They're common in Europe, but here in Canada we're not used to them.

The city, realizing this, launched a large-scale public information campaign, complete with brochures, television commercials, and a website. All clearly explaining to people how to safely use a roundabout.

I knew the basics already, but was a little fuzzy on which lane to choose, so I popped onto the website and had my question answered in three minutes.

No one else in the entire city has done this. People are passing on the right, entering the circle without sufficient clearance, and never, ever signalling. It's bloody chaos.

I'd like to see some cops sitting that these roundabouts and start ticketing people.

Comment

We had a few roundabouts already, but they started with the double lane roundabouts a couple of years ago. Right now, there are 3 in a row in my old city, and two really big ones around here now, to go along with the few single lane ones.

I can't figure out the double ones, I just won't use them and go another way.

People around here still can't figure out how to use a single lane roundabout. You get people who just go barrelling into the roundabout without yielding, people who stop at every. single. outlet. thinking they have to stop to let others in.......it's bad.

Comment

Let Utah know that most of us have indoor plumbing now.

Comment

My city's problem is that they try to make roundabouts out of regular intersections by just putting up a barrier in the middle of it. They call it a "traffic calming device" and they're all around the neighborhoods near the university because the homeowners don't like those darn kids speeding around trying to get to class. Well, that university has been there for 100 years so if you can't stand being around 18-22 year olds, loud music, or a lot of people cutting through your neighborhood, don't fucking move in right next to a university. (These are the same old fucks who don't want to put up street lights because it's 'light pollution'. No, they'd rather folks walking home at night to get mugged and raped.)

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
              Well, that university has been there for 100 years so if you can't stand being around 18-22 year olds, loud music, or a lot of people cutting through your neighborhood, don't fucking move in right next to a university.
              Took the words right out of my mouth! I live in a university town, and I've been saying this for years.

Keep in mind that these old folks love the tax revenue the university provides the city. Oh yes, they'll take the cash for their "city beautification" projects (flower beds in their fancy-pants neighbourhoods). But god forbid a few young people wander past their home en route to class. Then the city council had better start doing something about those "roving gangs".

Comment

Single-lane roundabouts are simple enough. The more I try to understand how multi-lane ones work the less sense they make.

The Diverging Diamond sounds like a great idea; Michigan Lefts are evil. (Either there's not room enough for long vehicles to make the U-Turn, or it's all but impossible to make the left turn because the street is too busy to get a clear spot! You progress from not needing a left turn signal because there's not much traffic, to having a left turn signal because you *do* need it and would never get a turn otherwise, to *not* having one again because it's even busier. On what planet does that really make sense?
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I agree with your assessment of the Michigan Left... but making illegal left turn is only making the problem go from bad to worse.
                  "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                    We had a few roundabouts already, but they started with the double lane roundabouts a couple of years ago. Right now, there are 3 in a row in my old city, and two really big ones around here now, to go along with the few single lane ones.

I can't figure out the double ones, I just won't use them and go another way.

People around here still can't figure out how to use a single lane roundabout. You get people who just go barrelling into the roundabout without yielding, people who stop at every. single. outlet. thinking they have to stop to let others in.......it's bad.
                    Double lane Roundabouts are Fun! I have no problems with them, however I am used to multi lane ones with trams thrown in.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bulla+...ralia&t=h&z=19

Yep, it has three lanes for part of it. And those are tram tracks going through the middle. You also need to watch out for people who get confused and follow the tram down the middle.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Elizab...ralia&t=h&z=18

This one is fun too. 4 streets plus 3 tram tracks. fun fun fun. I will admit it is a bit scary the first few times you go around it. There are heaps of signs to follow and its easy if you are in the correct lane.

Comment

Working...
                    X