No announcement yet.

valuing fashion over function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But doesn't it rain a lot up there? Sorry, but if I travel to a place known for rain, I'm taking a damn umbrella. I have this crazy thing where I like to stay dry.

Comment

Apparently, most people in the Northwest don't carry umbrellas unless it's a deluge. I read that in a novel one time, and the people here on the board usually confirm that for me.

I haven't spent that much time in the Pacific NW, but when I did, I was never outside during the rain long enough to require an umbrella. And if I was, I would have carried one.

As for the topic, I'm a bit of a "winter denier," too, but only in that I don't wear a coat unless I'm going to be outside for an extended period of time. I HATE wearing a coat in the car. Even during the deep freeze weather we've been having the past couple winters, I won't wear a coat while I'm driving. I'll take one with me in case of an emergency, but it'll get tossed in the backseat. Of course, I'll leave it in the car when I go into work, and when I walk in, people will look at me like, "Holy shit! Aren't you cold?"

Yeah, I'm a little cold, but now that I'm in the heat, I think I'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post

But doesn't it rain a lot up there? Sorry, but if I travel to a place known for rain, I'm taking a damn umbrella. I have this crazy thing where I like to stay dry.
        Yes it does but the rain won't kill you and won't make you sick.

Plus most of the time it's not a heavy rain. That's the thing if it's a downpour yeah even we will pull out an umbrella a lot. But it could be barely sprinkling and people will be holding tight to an umbrella.

If the rain is light or barely coming down an umbrella is pretty pointless because you won't get that wet. And that's usually the state of the rain. We get a lot of rain in that it rains a lot but usually it's not raining that heavily.

For me it's an extra thing to carry that's more annoying than the rain.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post

Yes, it rains a lot. No, we don't carry umbrellas. (1) they're just annoying. (2) at least in the part of the Pacific NW I'm in, we take our rain with a side of wind, so that umbrella is going to be torn to shreds before you get a chance to really use it, and (3) it's usually not a torrential downpour. It's more like a constant drizzle. You can't let it stop you from hiking/biking/boating/whatever, since you'll never go outside if you do, so you just wear a hoodie and go outside and play in the drizzle, and you just get used to it and don't need an umbrella. Also (4) it's become sort of a pride thing as well. Umbrellas are for tourists.

Comment

What's an umbrella?

Oh...that thing in my kitchen drawer still in its bag.

I usually have some kind of hood on. You'd think with all the time I put into my hair, I'd be more worried about it. Meh, I just gather it all in the hood and make a break for the car.

Comment

I got a van full of slickers at all times. I have enough raingear for a small crowd.

Plus hikers and socks in case I get stranded.

And always a hat. Usually, an oilcloth river guide style.

I was born ready.

Comment

Weirdly enough, this winter, I have changed my ways. But I think I'm becoming more and more winter intolerant.

I have been wearing mittens to and from the car (can't really steer wearing them, so I just wear them until I get going) and a scarf even when it's been in the 20s and 30s. I still don't have a "real" winter coat, but I ditched the sandals as soon as it got down into the 30s. I just can't do it anymore.

I'm going into my yearly reptilian stage, and I hate it.

Comment

Working...
                X